Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

2 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Longstaff has no business being a regular starter for a team with top 4 aspirations mind. They really need to address that.

Yeah I see Longstaff as a come on when we need to see leads out. For his defensive work and workrate. 

Longstaffe and Joelinton get through an amazing amount of work but sadly they both spurn some really good chances. Compare them to Man Uniteds Fernandez. 

We do well with the squad we have that's for sure and we are only in our first year of rebuilding so it will take time. Finding players who you would like to sign is not easy. The selling clubs need to be willing to sell also so it's not just about the money. Big money has been paid by clubs on players who just never made the cut and there are plenty of examples at Man U, Liverpool, Everton etc. 

14 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Longstaff has no business being a regular starter for a team with top 4 aspirations mind. They really need to address that.

He's only playing because Shelvey is injured, that's the reality.

23 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

Other than Burn playing the whole season ahead of Targett, the biggest surprise in team selection for me at this stage is Longstaff playing every single game. Not that I'm slagging off Longstaff who does a vital amount of running and dirty work for the side. 

However I'd like to see a midfield of Bruno-Joelinton-Willock at some point, to open up another space in the front 3 for ASM or Isak. Do we think Howe is worried there isn't enough balance in that midfield three? Could it work alright? Obviously ASM or Isak will cover less defensively than Almiron/Joelinton do when they're the wingers. 

I think because Bruno likes to push on a fair bit more than a traditional 6 you need a more defensive minded player in the three alongside him like Longstaff. He does the job of covering for Trippier quite a bit too allowing him to bomb on, similar to how Liverpool used to use Henderson to drop in and cover for Trent.

I think we'll be looking to sign a 6 and move Bruno into the Longstaff position personally. I reckon that would give the best balance with either of the Joe's on the left of the three depending on the opposition. 

I ri think 

6 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Are you asking would Shelveys performances be as good as Brunos, or would Shelvey start alongside Bruno? 

If the latter then yeah

Yep, that’s what I meant. Not sure myself that is the reason Longstaff is playing. I wouldn’t mind seeing how Shelvey and Bruno might work—assume Bruno would move to 8 role— for a few games at least, but guessing JJ is seen now as cover for Bruno in the main. 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

Just now, Coffee_Johnny said:

Yep, that’s what I meant. Not sure myself, wouldn’t mind seeing how that might work—assume Bruno would move to 8 role— for a few games at least, but assumed JJ is seen now as  cover for Bruno in the main. 

Joelinton, Shelvey and Bruno was our midfield 3 last season when available IIRC. Shelvey sat deep 

9 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Joelinton, Shelvey and Bruno was our midfield 3 last season when available IIRC. Shelvey sat deep 

You’re bang on. They’ve played more together than I recalled, 13 games. Two this season (Southampton away win and Palace 3rd round cup win). 

Interesting looking at who he’s played with and who has played with who!

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/jonjo-shelvey/gemeinsamespiele/spieler/71292

1 hour ago, Ronaldo said:

I’m sure my wife thinks he’s called fucksake longstaff as that’s all I seem to shout when we’re on Tv

Edited by Gawalls

3 hours ago, Jaqen said:

I think because Bruno likes to push on a fair bit more than a traditional 6 you need a more defensive minded player in the three alongside him

This is a myth that keeps getting peddled on this forum. The elusive DM that’s the missing cog, that will unleash the “real” Bruno. The reality is that our style of play doesn’t require a more defensive minded player in the middle of the park. We keep possession by pressing and recycling better and faster than almost any other club in the PL. Every one of our midfielders has legs and cleans up their area of the pitch with ease, a traditional DM or more defensive minded player will bring nothing to our set up and, I believe, actually hinder the way we are playing. 

2 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

This is a myth that keeps getting peddled on this forum. The elusive DM that’s the missing cog, that will unleash the “real” Bruno. The reality is that our style of play doesn’t require a more defensive minded player in the middle of the park. We keep possession by pressing and recycling better and faster than almost any other club in the PL. Every one of our midfielders has legs and cleans up their area of the pitch with ease, a traditional DM or more defensive minded player will bring nothing to our set up and, I believe, actually hinder the way we are playing. 

I’d prefer another Bruno, and the fluid flexible midfield it would offer, but I’d take that Alvarez dude from Ajax in a heart beat. 

1 minute ago, cubaricho said:

Yep, I'm OK with signing a "DM" to let Bruno play further forward but if we do that the player should be someone who is comparable to Bruno in the way they play.

It's not really a defensive player in our system as a lot of what we want from that role is someone who can break the press when we're trying to play it out from the back and someone who can pick a pass in opposition territory when possession is recycled back to them.

Bruno is great as he can continue to play that role as we've seen this year if we went for someone more attack minded but he could be pushed further forward if we went for a deep lying playmaker.

Personally lean towards leaving him in the position he's played this year and signing someone like Maddison. Would be a great mixture of players having a Joelinton, Bruno and Maddison midfield trio.

34 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Eh? We are clearly playing with a more defensive midfielder now though? Longstaff is essentially playing that role from RCM we've been more or less playing with a lobsided double pivot with him and Bruno for a while now and letting the two Joe's interchange in the left. 

We need quality on the ball more than anything in the midfield. A ball playing CM with Bruno to the side doesn't make us worse IMO. Put a Rodri or someone in there and Longstaff dropped and we are miles better. 

The only thing I worry about with Howe is the sheer amount of football he consumes. It’s his best trait but I just desperately hope it doesn’t burn him out. That high performance podcast made me a bit scared that he doesn’t seem to enjoy things at all in the moment but maybe many great coaches are like that because they’re perfectionists and always know there are things that need to improve