Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

3 hours ago, Cronky said:

I do get emotional when I see that. This man has re-written the book on what's possible. Yes, there was a large overall spend, but we had to pay over the odds for some players (esp Wood), we couldn't raise funds by selling anyone, and started from the point where it looked like we were going to go down with about 20 points.

I still don't quite get it. There's very little pace in the back four or the midfield, and none of the midfield are good defenders as individuals. Half the team were there before Howe took over. But somehow we're in third place, and on the way we're playing, it's no fluke.

The only thing I can get close to is when we went deep in the champions league with some really dodgy individual defenders. But I can’t remember how we did it, maybe with better attackers. 

Nothing cringy about the uncertainty if it was going to work or not, we hired Howe. We were still shite, we’d create chances and then bam, mistake and concede and then we’d never grasp the winner or equalizer. I blamed most of that on the prior manager and the players tbh. 

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

The only thing I can get close to is when we went deep in the champions league with some really dodgy individual defenders. But I can’t remember how we did it, maybe with better attackers. 

Speed, Solano, Robert, dyer, Bellamy and Shearer did help to mask some defensive weaknesses.

although Bernard, Hughes, Given weren’t exactly poor in the back 5

edit, and of course Shola

Edited by Colos Short and Curlies

2 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I’ve never made a mistake on this forum. That I can remember, anyway. 

what about the time you changed your username as you kept getting called ‘H from Steps’

Interesting seeing that tweet about how after Cambridge Eddie went to applaud the fans with Trippier and the subs, some other players were called back but refused and headed down the tunnel. 

Just shows the entire mentality around the club at that time and again shows how much of a good job Howe has done in changing that mentality. 

6 hours ago, RUHRLYASLEEVESUP said:

Shit crack digging people out for an honest opinion they had during a turbulent time for for the club & our support, every fucker on here has dropped a weapons grade clanger in theyre (Don't start grammar tits) time ffs

Howay man 

Some serious revisionist history with some. It wasn’t one clanger. It was a couple of months of constant dog shit, and was eerily similar to the 17/18 season when Rafa went through a tough patch, with a very similar poster profile. It was beyond absurd, and the perpetrators made this forum a real chore. For those who have since  held their hands up, of course it’s  no big deal. For those who continue with a perpetual stream of knee jerk  reactions, well, that’s another thing. 

I’m just seems that A few on here get off on wearing pessimism like some weird badge of honor, and then love to victimize themselves with the straw men who are trying to silence their brave opinions. “I was laughed at when…”

29 minutes ago, TotalWar said:

Thinking to myself last night about Keegan’s team. I know that many people at the time thought that Dalglish would just tighten us up defensively, and we would win the league, obviously didnt happen. Then in hindsight people thought if only Robson had taken over when Keegan left we would have won the league, hard to say. What I do think is, that if Eddie Howe, and his fantastic coaching, superb defence, shithousing, game management, player reinvigoration etc had taken over (impossible I know), then we would most definitely have won the league.

It's an interesting one, obviously. But I think it's difficult to compare not least as football and it's associated technologies have come on in such a major way in the past 25 years. Howe has access to statistics, equipment and support staff that Robson couldn't have dreamed of, for example. So it's fair to question what Howe would've been like in 1997, and conversely what a 40 year old Robson or Keegan would be like today.

Fwiw, I'm sure Howe and Robson would've flourished. Keegan I should never count out, and he always drove for the best, but I wonder if all the DoFs and xGs and game management etc. would've tainted his love for the game and put him off doing it in the first place.

I'll hold my hands up. I was very, very nervous after that home draw to Watford (went to the Cambridge game and then that) and wasn't sure it was going to turn around for him, I would have taken Rafa back at that point. Eddie got the job done with plenty to spare though and I wouldn't swap him for any other coach in the world now.

4 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

I'll hold my hands up. I was very, very nervous after that home draw to Watford (went to the Cambridge game and then that) and wasn't sure it was going to turn around for him, I would have taken Rafa back at that point. Eddie got the job done with plenty to spare though and I wouldn't swap him for any other coach in the world now.

This for me aswell, i remember the train back after Watford thinking we were down.

2 minutes ago, IzzyIsak said:

This for me aswell, i remember the train back after Watford thinking we were down.

Pretty sure I've written that post at least once before. This place, man, like a wife who won't let you forget you forgot your anniversary that one time.

40 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

same, and I said this before - I just felt he was the right manager but with the wrong players and not enough time to fix the problems before we were going down.  

then Jonjo hit that free kick away to Leeds and everything, everything changed for us. 

Eddie's press conference......

Anybody else think Eddie was bubbling when asked about any incoming transfers, he definitely wasn't defensive, if anything there was a hint of a grin! especially when he explained any incoming player need to be premier league ready, though that doesn't rule out an overseas player!

Also, he'd like to think the player would excite the supporters.

I reckon or hope there's a big transfer in the offing.

6 hours ago, Kanji said:

same, and I said this before - I just felt he was the right manager but with the wrong players and not enough time to fix the problems before we were going down.  

then Jonjo hit that free kick away to Leeds and everything, everything changed for us. 

Think a few of us were concerned that he was definitely the right manager, but maybe at the wrong time. HTT mentioned this quite a bit.