Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

43 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

I disagree; some people on here have taken on a quasi-religious fervour about Howe, the board and the squad whereby any criticism makes you some kind of ungrateful heathen. We’ve been playing mediocre for about 6 weeks, and the performances are - by and large - getting worse. This boring “appreciate what you’ve got” attitude (a broader problem in Britain, I might add) will hold us back in my view. That’s the approach we took to the transfer window and we look worse for it. We’re so lacklustre at the minute and if we don’t shape up we’ll get comfortably put to the sword by a good side in the cup final. Howe has 2 weeks to figure something out - we shouldn’t be in this position, but we’ve landed ourselves in this position by taking a commercial approach to football in the transfer window. 

I dont mean to be a dick so Im sorry, but this reads as quite highly strung with regards our club and team right now. 

Edited by Super Duper Branko Strupar

22 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Well your point just plays into mine - the lack of squad depth was in plain sight before the transfer window, and we’ve come out with a shallower squad. The board and Howe have taken a brainless gamble and today exposed it. It’s highlighted their inexperience, hopefully they learn from it. They’ve had 3 windows. 2 have been good, 1 looks reckless. It was so predictable that going the rest of the season that light on strikers and central midfielders was a dumbass thing to do. But hey Ho, we got a bit of coin for shelvey, so all’s well. 

To make the post gammon-proof, I explicitly emphasise that this was their first mistake. 

It does and it doesn't. It shows how poor the squad was (even down to the youths) but it also shows that we'll get what's needed long-term. I think you are looking at "now" as opposed to growing a strategy.

23 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

I didnt watch the match today, but from what Ive seen so far with regards highlights, one player wouldnt have made much difference. Looked like a bad day all round. They happen and we didnt lose, I dont feel awful.

Exactly. I thought Bournemouth worked hard. Pressed well at times. Its an away point. 

1 hour ago, Theregulars said:

I disagree; some people on here have taken on a quasi-religious fervour about Howe, the board and the squad whereby any criticism makes you some kind of ungrateful heathen. We’ve been playing mediocre for about 6 weeks, and the performances are - by and large - getting worse. This boring “appreciate what you’ve got” attitude (a broader problem in Britain, I might add) will hold us back in my view. That’s the approach we took to the transfer window and we look worse for it. We’re so lacklustre at the minute and if we don’t shape up we’ll get comfortably put to the sword by a good side in the cup final. Howe has 2 weeks to figure something out - we shouldn’t be in this position, but we’ve landed ourselves in this position by taking a commercial approach to football in the transfer window. 

You keep writing this and not saying what it is you expected them to do, other than spend more money, which they won’t do due to PL FFP rules.  ‘A commercial approach to football’ is just another way of saying ‘didn’t spend the money I wanted them to spend’.

Howe has had deserved criticism, and then there’s this stuff.  He won’t be criticised by me if they lose the LC Final, that’s for sure.

Britain doesn’t have an ‘appreciate what you’ve got’ attitude; quite the opposite, it exudes a sense of bizarre entitlement and a belief that it holds a special place in the world.  Given that since the Xmas break we’ve won six, drew four and lost one game that sense of entitlement is strong in some on here too. 

Just a note here - this was always likely to be, at best, a transition season.  Howe and his new signings saved us from nailed-on relegation last year.

We are mid-February in that transition season, and the team are in a cup final and 4th in the table.  People are flapping over a few draws - most of which we should have won - yet seem to have forgotten that after the opening day win we drew five and lost one of the next six games.  These runs happen.  Fuck knows how some will react if we really do hit a bad patch.

The squad is threadbare and will take several windows - and lots of new commercial deals - to fix.  I’m not sure how whinging every day about the January window helps - yes, I don’t doubt you would have gone out and bought Maddison for £80m, but maybe - just maybe - Howe was not in a position to do so. 

Genuinely think this guy is the best manager in the league. Have absolutely no issues with him whatsoever, and can't for the life of me understand how anyone does. This team of players we have should be nowhere near the position they are in, and it's all down to him.

Every critique I had in the match thread today was down to my frustration with the players. So many of them are really capable of some terrible play, and are just so careless over their decision making and execution, as well as also lacking urgency when they have the ball, it's really frustrating to watch. I'm really looking forward to the manager eventually getting some better talent to work with.

He'll probably have sleepless nights now wondering what has happened to his players and he'll probably think its his training or demands that has got the better of them. Hope he keeps his head up. Obviously, the players were absolutely wank but him being himself would say it's his fault and all.

2 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

You keep writing this and not saying what it is you expected them to do, other than spend more money, which they won’t do due to PL FFP rules.  ‘A commercial approach to football’ is just another way of saying ‘didn’t spend the money I wanted them to spend’.

Howe has had deserved criticism, and then there’s this stuff.  He won’t be criticised by me if they lose the LC Final, that’s for sure.

Britain doesn’t have an ‘appreciate what you’ve got’ attitude; quite the opposite, it exudes a sense of bizarre entitlement and a belief that it holds a special place in the world.  Given that since the Xmas break we’ve won six, drew four and lost one game that sense of entitlement is strong in some on here too. 

I’ve said over and over what I expected: don’t sell shelvey without a replacement. That’s fuck all to do with FFP. We’re now short on CMs and it looks so short-sighted.

Don’t agree with you re: Britain; so many people bleat on about “it could be worse” when you want better for yourself and others. 

I don’t think you understand my point: I have no issue whatsoever with any of our results and performances; today’s performance was dross and it’s right to call it so, but doing so triggers this ludicrous “don’t be so entitled” backlash.

There’s nothing entitled about saying today’s performance wasn’t good enough. Plainly, it wasn’t. 

3 hours ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

I dont mean to be a dick so Im sorry, but this reads as quite highly strung with regards our club and team right now. 

How does it? The performance was poor, the performances in general are trending downwards and the transfer window was not particularly impressive. It’s a relatively bad patch performance and results wise (I don’t think draws are great, especially when it’s the only result you get), and we had a poor transfer window (which I think is going to cost us the very significant opportunity of CL football when multiple usual challengers are having a bad season). The board, manager and squad are being criticised, and rightly so. There’s absolutely bot all highly strung about saying so. I’d say, in fact, that the reactions to this viewpoint are highly strung; it’s almost like “dissent” isn’t allowed. 

Edited by Theregulars

4 hours ago, Theregulars said:

Massively disagree that we've been playing mediocre for 6 weeks.

West Ham overall was poor, though still had 2 big chances in the 2nd half to win it.

And yesterday against Bournemouth was shocking but prior to that the performances were mostly good where we created enough chances to win games.

I also disagree that the approach to the transfer window was appreciate what we've got, think it was more a case of we've got a plan for the summer and we don't want to risk that by making moves now which have no guarantee of paying off.

I think we have started to play "badly" during last few weeks because opponents have started to sit back and have given us the possession. Bournemouth really didn't press and before their goal our passing was very slow and predictable. After the goal we upped the tempo a lot.

First half of the season we pressed high up on the pitch and got a lot of breaks high up. Now teams like Bournemouth, Palace and West Ham are quite quickly launching it behing Burn and Trippier. With Bruno we can open up spaces more and push the opposition deeper, without him we lose the ball too much in too dangerous areas. Especially Willock, ASM and Burn. Our squad just lacks quality in key areas.

We really need a ball playing midfielder in place of Longstaff or Joelinton. Both have great engines and are great at winning the ball back, but neither are very good at opening up defences.

1 hour ago, Theregulars said:

How does it? The performance was poor, the performances in general are trending downwards and the transfer window was not particularly impressive. It’s a relatively bad patch performance and results wise (I don’t think draws are great, especially when it’s the only result you get), and we had a poor transfer window (which I think is going to cost us the very significant opportunity of CL football when multiple usual challengers are having a bad season). The board, manager and squad are being criticised, and rightly so. There’s absolutely bot all highly strung about saying so. I’d say, in fact, that the reactions to this viewpoint are highly strung; it’s almost like “dissent” isn’t allowed. 

Only 4 clubs spent more than us in January, including the one we drew against yesterday. The transfer window may not have been impressive, but the comments about seeming entitled is when you (or others - I haven't paid attention to whom, just seen a lot of those type of comments) start blaming the performance yesterday on the lack of investment in the January window.

If you think our current midfielders looked leggy, why the fuuuuuck would you want Shelvey as an alternative in the middle anyway? :lol:

We need to have more options to break down teams when they shut up shop. It's only a year in to the project that Eddie Howe signed up to and we're about 5 places beyond where we hoped we'd be.

We're evidently trying to play by FFP, we've only had 3 windows to unpick and rebuild and we've still only lost one game all season.

No one is above criticism but fuck me...the effort is there and has been applied by almost all the playing squad. We don't demand a team that wins...

Or do we?

'kin hell...

5 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Dear me, reading this thread ?

It's either

1) we're going through a spell where the opponents sit back and we haven't, yet, got the nous to overcome that. 

2) Shelvey's suddenly become world class

1, for me

Not one person is saying Shelvey is world class, but it’s pretty straightforward that we took a huge risk in selling him without a replacement considering the need for a CM before he left. It’s a risk that has already back fired in my opinion. 

17 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Not one person is saying Shelvey is world class, but it’s pretty straightforward that we took a huge risk in selling him without a replacement considering the need for a CM before he left. It’s a risk that has already back fired in my opinion. 

Would you rather have Anthony Gordon or Shelvey and Wood at this stage?

16 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

We've drawn 5 of the last 6. Shelvey's been injured so wouldn't have saved us anyway. 

Plus he's not good enough. 

I think we miss Bruno. A lot of our play goes through him. It felt like an unfamiliar line-up yesterday and we weren't at our fluent best. But Bournemouth played well on the break, and we shouldn't assume that just because of their league position they were there for the taking.

I can't see that Shelvey or Wood would have made a lot of difference. Both players wanted to go, and Eddie would have had to consider whether it was wise to insist on them staying. Apart from any effect on their performance, it's valuable for the club to get a reputation for treating players well.

This squad has over-achieved massively in reaching 4th place. If we maintain it, that should be a bonus rather than an expectation.

1 minute ago, Groundhog63 said:

We've drawn 5 of the last 6. Shelvey's been injured so wouldn't have saved us anyway. 

Plus he's not good enough. 

I’m not talking about the last few games, but he would have played a role in the rest of the season and given us an option to rest the 4 who have pretty much played every single minute so far this season.

I’m by no means a massive Shelvey fan, but our squad is currently weaker without him, that is undeniable imo.

12 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Why is Shelvey included in that ? Signing Gordon has nothing to do with us selling Shelvey.

How isn't he?

Squad places need to be made available and we need to abide by FFP. We've removed probably one of the highest earners for least quality players and have also cashed in on someone who wasn't good enough but did us an immediate job to save us from relegation.

I think people are re-imagining Shelvey personally. Good servant for the club across the years but wasn't fit half the time, lacked athleticism and sometimes simply had a lazy attitude.

Why would Wood be included and not Shelvey, to your point?

We've brought in a more creative option to unlock teams, someone whom we can rely upon for our high press and stay fit. We've had a suspension for Bruno (shit happens) and players are running tired at present but I also believe Howe isn't willing to jeopardise our cup match for a win away at Bournemouth. He's protecting players in what will be huge for them, as well as us.

We could go all Chelsea and buy every fucker but in all honesty, I don't see how that'd work. It won't work for Chelsea (this season, and perhaps even next) either. Slow and steady wins the race.

Anthony Gordon coming in has improved our first team propositions and ultimately our squad, and is transformative in that we're clearly confident in our ability to control games and hold teams and now are progressing into attacking and going after 3 points. It'll all happen in time, I just feel people aren't giving it that.

Edited by Heron

19 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’m not talking about the last few games, but he would have played a role in the rest of the season and given us an option to rest the 4 who have pretty much played every single minute so far this season.

I’m by no means a massive Shelvey fan, but our squad is currently weaker without him, that is undeniable imo.

I don't believe it is. It gives a different option/more depth in replacement for a different option/more depth in another, and now we're looking towards getting wins not avoiding defeats