Transfer rumours

Yorkie

I know this is all typically shite, but am I the only one still feeling like we'll be alright next season even if Rafa's only able to do business at a level comparable to last summer?

Obviously, I'm daft enough to be hoping for better than that after 12 months of PL revenue and more money made from player sales this time around, but I'm not sure it's as doom and gloom as it feels in here every day.

Dubravka's done, if we make a permanent/loan deal for Kenedy (or a similar standard player) we're pretty much at the same level as we finished 2017/18 at. Anything from there is going to strengthen us, and we ended the season superbly for the most part.

The key is whether Rafa is being allowed to spend any funds as he wants, i.e. a lot on one player instead of piddly amounts on 3-4 players.

I know this is all typically shite, but am I the only one still feeling like we'll be alright next season even if Rafa's only able to do business at a level comparable to last summer?

Obviously, I'm daft enough to be hoping for better than that after 12 months of PL revenue and more money made from player sales this time around, but I'm not sure it's as doom and gloom as it feels in here every day.

Dubravka's done, if we make a permanent/loan deal for Kenedy (or a similar standard player) we're pretty much at the same level as we finished 2017/18 at. Anything from there is going to strengthen us, and we ended the season superbly for the most part.

The key is whether Rafa is being allowed to spend any funds as he wants, i.e. a lot on one player instead of piddly amounts on 3-4 players.

As long as everyone else stands still I guess.

My mistake guys. Guess one of those 3 to loan then and perhaps purchase one of the remaining 2.

Chelsea messed us up this way last summer over Kennedy and we had to wait until January.

I really wish they'd just sort their managerial situation out.

I wouldn't worry about them, would be nice if we'd sort ours out first.

Best case scenario at this point: The club is waiting to shift wages off the books before trying to sign players. It's not about having money for transfers but our inability to increase the wage bill. Hopefully we will get some big earners off the books; Mitro, Mbemba, Colback and maybe Merino. Once that has happened, perhaps we will start spending money on players that Rafa wants.

If that happens, and it's a big if, we might just satisfy Rafa enough.

Mitro and Merino would be easy to sell, we'd  make a handsome profit as well, so hardly a major stumbling block. Mbemba could be shifted pretty easily as well I would have thought, and Colback was brought here on a free transfer, it wouldn't cost that much to write him off. Pay some of his wages and tell him to fuck off.

Best case scenario at this point: The club is waiting to shift wages off the books before trying to sign players. It's not about having money for transfers but our inability to increase the wage bill. Hopefully we will get some big earners off the books; Mitro, Mbemba, Colback and maybe Merino. Once that has happened, perhaps we will start spending money on players that Rafa wants.

If that happens, and it's a big if, we might just satisfy Rafa enough.

Mitro and Merino would be easy to sell, we'd  make a handsome profit as well, so hardly a major stumbling block. Mbemba could be shifted pretty easily as well I would have thought, and Colback was brought here on a free transfer, it wouldn't cost that much to write him off. Pay some of his wages and tell him to fuck off.

From a business perspective, they won't buy before selling. As much as we wouldn't agree, they will consider it a risk.

You would think we would look for a quickish sale on these players but we are holding out for more money on all fronts.

With these lot, time is never on our side.

My biggest issue is that he would leave, but if he stays I agree we’d be fine even with minimal incomings.

I just obviously wouldn’t be happy with this window if that happens before people start screeching at me.

EDIT: @ Rich’s post.

:thup:

We wouldn’t be “standing still”, either, if we get Kenedy/an equivalent and then strengthen the key areas.

The difference a good striker would make is enormous, for instance.

Honestly though, think I’m just realistic about where we’re at under the fat cunt. Major concern is that Rafa isn’t allowed to use the budget he has in his own way and that this’ll be enough for him to bail next summer. Even if he has to do similar to what he did last year we should have a decent season and could even progress with signings in the right areas. He’d be perfectly entitled to walk out then, though. Feels like it will all come to a head.

My biggest issue is that he would leave, but if he stays I agree we’d be fine even with minimal incomings.

I just obviously wouldn’t be happy with this window if that happens before people start screeching at me.

EDIT: @ Rich’s post.

:thup:

We wouldn’t be “standing still”, either, if we get Kenedy/an equivalent and then strengthen the key areas.

The difference a good striker would make is enormous, for instance.

this is what i've been saying, 3 quality signings (2 attacking) and a good loan or two and we're challenging for the top half properly imo

i'd rather we go out and spend money like real clubs but it's not going to happen with our owner sadly

Guest NobbyOhNobby

When West Ham have just dropped £22m on a centre-half, and we're scrabbling around thinking about maybe monitoring a player, you know we're fucked.

If we sign nobody, I think we'll do amazingly well to finish 17th. Let's not forget that loads of teams were absolutely shite last season, which contributed to us finishing tenth (with the lowest points total in premier league history for a team finishing tenth). Those teams will strengthen, Wolves may have the strongest promoted squad for a long time, and we'll be hoping that lightning strikes twice and we somehow avoid a relegation fight.

So far 4m spent on Dubravka but no other signings nobody even looking close to signing and one of our top talents in Merino has the strongest transfer link to leave us?

Sounds exactly like NUFC, thats just the way it is and anyone who thought it would be much better by this point are pretty much deluded.

So far 4m spent on Dubravka but no other signings nobody even looking close to signing and one of our top talents in Merino has the strongest transfer link to leave us?

Sounds exactly like NUFC, thats just the way it is and anyone who thought it would be much better by this point are pretty much deluded.

The irony is that it almost seems like Ashley is forcing Rafa out by not backing him. You can guarantee that a replacement 'Yes' Man will be handed plenty of cash, as long as he accepts the players that are bought for him. Nothing ever changes.

The irony is that it almost seems like Ashley is forcing Rafa out by not backing him. You can guarantee that a replacement 'Yes' Man will be handed plenty of cash, as long as he accepts the players that are bought for him. Nothing ever changes.

Yep. See McClaren, Shteve.