Transfer rumours

Yorkie

Bale number one target according to daily mail.

From 2016 ...

Real Madrid forward Gareth Bale has heaped praise on Rafa Benitez for ending his isolation on the wing during his time at the Santiago Bernabeu and thanked him for giving him more responsibility.

The current Newcastle United manager spent a brief spell at Madrid and Bale has spoken highly of the Spaniard for his allowing him to play in a more central role.

Speaking in an exclusive interview with The Times ahead of his return to England in the Champions League against Manchester City, Bale thanked Benitez and had nothing but praise for his former manager.

He said: “I felt isolated out on the wing and I wasn’t able to do what I wanted to do and give my best for the club.

He [benitez] listened to me, and gave me more responsibility which was what I wanted. I had a good relationship with him.

“He speaks very good English which helps me. I was able to speak to him a lot. We had things in common from working in England. I just enjoyed working with him.”

It's happening!

467aaeaba7ba14780dab6e66df9176de.gif

If their ambition is to challenge for honours, we might see a few over-the-top signings like Bale, Stones, James Rodriguez first to be honest. The elite will obviously still go to the established clubs but those sorts of names will be a statement of where they’re trying to go. Think there’ll be a mix of hit & misses, with a few ‘Galactico’ names who flop as they try to get where they want but they’ll still be huge for the club in spreading the brand again.

If their ambition is to challenge for honours, we might see a few over-the-top signings like Bale, Stones, James Rodriguez first to be honest. The elite will obviously still go to the established clubs but those sorts of names will be a statement of where they’re trying to go. Think there’ll be a mix of hit & misses, with a few ‘Galactico’ names who flop as they try to get where they want but they’ll still be huge for the club in spreading the brand again.

Apparently that’s what they want to avoid. If so then they need to steer clear from bale.

Bale would be a good strategic move but not necessarily a good footballing one. Bringing someone like him here would be a strong signal to other players that the club is attractive, on the up and a good career move. Even just having the chance to play alongside Bale would be a strong enough attraction for some players to sign. 

Then there's the PR the move would generate......

Guest neesy111

Transfer values are going to decrease massively because of this crisis, be lots of clubs who will need to sell.

Potentially 4 players? Possibly 1 striker,2 centre midfielders and 1 centre half.

I dont know and have no clue on names but I am hoping

60-70m on one striker young (under 26))and one you can build around

20-30m on an older striker or depending on formations a new number 10 (switch the 60/70m spend on this player depending on formation) age not as much as an issue as long as your not stuck with a 37 year old on 300k a week

25m right back

25m left back

50m new central midfield player

so hoping for 5 minimum, obviously great point by neesy clubs will find it hard to hold onto players when there is a bigger need to balance books coupled that with modest player sales say 10/20 million we may be able to get another high quality player or get rid of the dead wood and have some higher calibre squad players.

None of the league want us to be Saudi rich lads so we should just go out there and buy the best players from most other Premier League clubs. That'll show our intent  :shifty:

Transfer values are going to decrease massively because of this crisis, be lots of clubs who will need to sell.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out, as I'm sure the same will apply for buying clubs ability to offer competitive wages. Will players want to move on in the same frequency as before if they know they will most likely get a worse deal than they are currently on?

Think that's a fair point actually. We have sort of got used to the idea of wanting great long term value out of every signing, but with the deep pockets of the Saudis, they would probably not blink at spending plenty on big name players who are approaching over the hill status. £100m down the drain would probably be worth it for the exposure worldwide, and short term results that it would bring.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out, as I'm sure the same will apply for buying clubs ability to offer competitive wages. Will players want to move on in the same frequency as before if they know they will most likely get a worse deal than they are currently on?

Some (older footballers in particular) would likely take a bit of a worse deal if its a longer deal than the one they are currently on. Its going to be fascinating and kinda horrible to watch teams lower down the pecking order (championship and lower in particular) having to flog probably everyone because they can't afford to pay them without gate revenue for the forseeable

Think that's a fair point actually. We have sort of got used to the idea of wanting great long term value out of every signing, but with the deep pockets of the Saudis, they would probably not blink at spending plenty on big name players who are approaching over the hill status. £100m down the drain would probably be worth it for the exposure worldwide, and short term results that it would bring.

its essential if you have a strategy of buying older players as not to sound like current lot but they have zero resale value. You buy them for what they offer in the here and now (or the hope they reproduce it at your club).

Some will fail as they cannot transition to us, transition to this league, transition to the manager or other players around them etc.

Having owners that cut losses and are happy not making a monetary return on every one is a good thing.

At the end of the day you can spend big on players and they not be as successful as the cheaper gems, it mainly allows you to spread your wings in terms of a talent pool and not dismiss players because of transfer fee or age which has heavily limited us on certain sales going through.

Personally my number one target would be this decade’s Vincent Kompany. No idea who that is but that is what I’d like most of all

Upamecano.

Agree, but do a raid on Leipzig in general, they seem to have many good players, and their talent spotting has been very good for future players

Wonder who we’re going to get as our chief scout

If it's not a Terrahawk i'm out.

:lol:

I’m hoping the terrahawk is allowed to stay

its essential if you have a strategy of buying older players as not to sound like current lot but they have zero resale value. You buy them for what they offer in the here and now (or the hope they reproduce it at your club).

Some will fail as they cannot transition to us, transition to this league, transition to the manager or other players around them etc.

Having owners that cut losses and are happy not making a monetary return on every one is a good thing.

At the end of the day you can spend big on players and they not be as successful as the cheaper gems, it mainly allows you to spread your wings in terms of a talent pool and not dismiss players because of transfer fee or age which has heavily limited us on certain sales going through.

It actually reminds me of the Keegan days a bit. If you can recall, he wanted to bring Henry here in his second stint as manager, and of course it was laughed out of the boardroom by Ashley's mates. It did seem a bit extravagent, but he was probably looking at results and stature as a club worldwide rather than resale value of one individual player.

I remember even from his first stint as manager, even if he bought players like Beardsely and Venison who were in their 30's, adding them to the squad actually inflated the value of the whole squad because of the success they brought with them.

It actually reminds me of the Keegan days a bit. If you can recall, he wanted to bring Henry here in his second stint as manager, and of course it was laughed out of the boardroom by Ashley's mates. It did seem a bit extravagent, but he was probably looking at results and stature as a club worldwide rather than resale value of one individual player.

I remember even from his first stint as manager, even if he bought players like Beardsely and Venison who were in their 30's, adding them to the squad actually inflated the value of the whole squad because of the success they brought with them.

I think there needs to be a balance as with everything too many old players even high calibre ones restricts the type of play you can play due to their declining speed etc you dont want a squad of 30 somethings as it just means you need to do major squad overhall on a regular basis which is no good as the more players you need to replace the more likely you will bring flops due to higher turn over.

Just because a player is 30/31 does not mean they cannot add value or bring on your younger players which as you say in itself adds value to those individual players.

Taking losses on players will happen and while we have managed to make profits on Ashleys way we have also had some losses/lucky to get our money back players.

I think having alot of money means as a supporter you dont (or at least I wont anymore) shite we have blown 20 million on him we now cant spend this window or we are shopping for free's as the money is all gone. 

Guest Howaythetoon

He rubbished the Henry and other fanciful names personally...

Were those rumours not part of the club ”deliberately trying to mislead the fans”?

Aye

Personally my number one target would be this decade’s Vincent Kompany. No idea who that is but that is what I’d like most of all

Imagine being in the mix for players like that :fwap:

Just to clarify though, I meant in terms of a club leader as much as having ability. Doesn’t matter where they play