Transfer rumours

Yorkie

Gonna be tough to get what will certainly be a totally different squad on the same page before the start of next season. Doubly-so if it’s not Rafa at the helm.

That’s why it’s so important that we get our business done ear.....  ah, fuck, it’s august already.

Guest covmag

I can cast iron guarantee that the net spend this summer will be below £20m

Anyone else disagree?

Anyone else disagree?

Is that net? Because I can totally see sales of £100m and purchases of maybe £60m - and it’s only that high because we’re going to have to replace 6-10 players.

Even a bare minimum of departures (Shelvey, Diame, Ki, Rondon, Ayoze, Kenedy) - there’s no replacing them without some *real* expenditure.

Anyone else disagree?

Is that net? Because I can totally see sales of £100m and purchases of maybe £60m - and it’s only that high because we’re going to have to replace 6-10 players.

Even a bare minimum of departures (Shelvey, Diame, Ki, Rondon, Ayoze, Kenedy) - there’s no replacing them without some *real* expenditure.

KI?

After Ki and Longstaff we dont have much going on in CM

Hayden's been good but wants to be sold

Shelvey needs to be sold

Diame not good enough, but will probably be retained as we're never going to buy 3 CM's

Pass back Jack should be offski's

Going to be a big problem for Tim Sherwood

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Shelvey needs to be sold

Diame not good enough, but will probably be retained as we're never going to buy 3 CM's

Diame's definitely leaving isn't he? We've deliberately stopped him reaching 25 starts this season so as not to trigger an automatic contract extension

I’d be surprised if with 3 midfielders going, Samaris isn’t one of the first signings announced this summer. Free transfer, would leave money from sales for Shelvey & Hayden for a new first choice midfielder, and we’d still need to buy one more.

Shelvey needs to be sold

Diame's definitely leaving isn't he? We've deliberately stopped him reaching 25 starts this season so as not to trigger an automatic contract extension

It would have triggered a 2 year extension, which the club didn't want IIRC. He might get a year, if he agreed it with club.

Shelvey needs to be sold

That just means we can now offer him a new lower payed contract (if he wants to sign it), rather than him getting the same terms he is on now automatically or what the next person up said  :D

Theres no way we could possibly let Diame, Hayden and Shelvey leave.

I’d be surprised if with 3 midfielders going, Samaris isn’t one of the first signings announced this summer. Free transfer, would leave money from sales for Shelvey & Hayden for a new first choice midfielder, and we’d still need to buy one more.

Lot of money for a 30 year old.

I'd hold on to Shelvey.  After sitting half a season his value has to be low.  He might be worth more to us as opposed to going out and spunking for a replacement.  Of course if someone comes in with a big offer...

Longstaff, Samaris, Shelvey, Ki and maybe a couple of younger lads with po-po?

I'm really gonna miss Hayden.

Central midfield is a bit tricky. Based on his performances I would like Longstaff to be first choice starting next season, so would prefer a straight replacement for Hayden that is intended to go straight into the team and improve it. Is Samaris that guy or should we ideally look for someone better?  If Longstaff is considered a first team player, does it justify spending lots of money on a squad player when we have Ki and Shelvey on the books already? Although I would like to see Longstaff in the first team, it is still a major risk if his spell this season was him at his peak. It was after all not many matches he played - would he be able to recreate and hopefully even improve on that this season? If Rafa brings in a high profile player then that could potentially hamper Longstaffs development too...

All the other positions are pretty straight forward for me. 1. Retain all center backs. 2. Buy new wing backs. 3. Buy Rondon. 4. Retain Perez.

All of this is of course based on the hope that Rafa signs a new contract.

I think central midfield is our real opportunity to push the squad on if we invest (ha ha) some serious cash.  We don't seem to have really managed to consistently get a decent blend of creativity, stamina and defensive solidity - which is obviously going to cost money. 

Obviously Longstaff has shown great potential, but I don't think we should be going into next season relying on him maintaining that level of performance or as an automatic starter.  If Rafa stays and has any kind of budget, I'd love it if he focussed the bulk of the money on the central midfield.  Unearth the modern Rob Lee from somewhere...

Central midfield is a bit tricky. Based on his performances I would like Longstaff to be first choice starting next season, so would prefer a straight replacement for Hayden that is intended to go straight into the team and improve it. Is Samaris that guy or should we ideally look for someone better? If Longstaff is considered a first team player, does it justify spending lots of money on a squad player when we have Ki and Shelvey on the books already? Although I would like to see Longstaff in the first team, it is still a major risk if his spell this season was him at his peak. It was after all not many matches he played - would he be able to recreate and hopefully even improve on that this season? If Rafa brings in a high profile player then that could potentially hamper Longstaffs development too...

All the other positions are pretty straight forward for me. 1. Retain all center backs. 2. Buy new wing backs. 3. Buy Rondon. 4. Retain Perez.

All of this is of course based on the hope that Rafa signs a new contract.

From what I’ve seen of Samaris in the Europa League this season I think people would be very surprised how good he is for a free :thup:

I could see why Rafa has asked for him for the last 3 transfer windows.

Very Rafa type midfielder.

I think central midfield is our real opportunity to push the squad on if we invest (ha ha) some serious cash.  We don't seem to have really managed to consistently get a decent blend of creativity, stamina and defensive solidity - which is obviously going to cost money. 

Obviously Longstaff has shown great potential, but I don't think we should be going into next season relying on him maintaining that level of performance or as an automatic starter.  If Rafa stays and has any kind of budget, I'd love it if he focussed the bulk of the money on the central midfield.  Unearth the modern Rob Lee from somewhere...

Could see Sherwood rushing Longstaff back. Yes, he is solely responsible for the rise of Harry Kane, and his passport is flawless, but sometimes he forgets that not everyone is such a robust and hardened real man like himself.

Anyone else disagree?

KI?

My mistake - Hayden

We should go all out for Loftus-Cheek who I don’t think has a future at Chelsea. Starting on the bench and in starting in the cups is different to getting first team games for them. I think Chelsea would and will buy someone to start ahead of him rather than start giving him 1st team starts.

We should go all out for Loftus-Cheek who I don’t think has a future at Chelsea. Starting on the bench and in starting in the cups is different to getting first team games for them. I think Chelsea would and will buy someone to start ahead of him rather than start giving him 1st team starts.

Thought Chelsea couldn't buy players for the next two windows, though?

He's started most of their games recently and they can't buy players