Transfer rumours

Yorkie

If he was playing in a team that created at least three big chances a game, Gayle would still be pretty high up the leaderboard in terms of goalscorers in the Championship. He's a funny one because he's got pace and a reasonable amount of striker's instinct - ie he gets himself in the right positions - but he's not a particularly great finisher so needs several chances to score. Even in that Norwich 4-3 where he scored a hat-trick, he missed at least two guilt-edge chances in the first half. I still think he'd be an excellent signing for anyone chasing promotion and it's stupid that we've never put ourselves in a position to make a profit or at least get our money back. He'll end up going for nowt when he's easily still worth around £10m.

If he was playing in a team that created at least three big chances a game, Gayle would still be pretty high up the leaderboard in terms of goalscorers in the Championship. He's a funny one because he's got pace and a reasonable amount of striker's instinct - ie he gets himself in the right positions - but he's not a particularly great finisher so needs several chances to score. Even in that Norwich 4-3 where he scored a hat-trick, he missed at least two guilt-edge chances in the first half. I still think he'd be an excellent signing for anyone chasing promotion and it's stupid that we've never put ourselves in a position to make a profit or at least get our money back. He'll end up going for nowt when he's easily still worth around £10m.

I totally agree with what you are saying above. But my question is, where is Gayle? Is he injured?

If you take Joelinton he gets 5 big chances and scores 0, Even Carroll shows more up than Gayle these days, but his legs are so gone that he wont get 5 big chances. So I would still play Gayle instead of those 2 because at the end of the day 3 out 5 is better than those two. Damn we are in a shitty position...

Agree. People complain about giving contracts to players. Gayle has a very good reputation at championship level, there should be at least one club willing to give us some money for him. Same with Shelvey, Ritchie, Clarke and a few others we bought in the championship.

I've been told by two different people (one close to the player and one close to Argyle) that Luke Jephcott is on his way up to Newcastle with a view to signing for us.

He's only 20 and has 13 goals for Argyle this season.

Not saying it is definitely true and I have no contacts or inside knowledge of Newcastle but just passing on what I've been told.

I've been told by two different people (one close to the player and one close to Argyle) that Luke Jephcott is on his way up to Newcastle with a view to signing for us.

Not saying it is definitely true and I have no contacts or inside knowledge of Newcastle but just passing on what I've been told.

Cheers mate , as long as he can do 5 laps round the field that’s good enough for a start.  O0

Ignore this, I've had my pants pulled down.

Argyle are away at Sunderland tomorrow (I didn't realise) and I was told "he's on his way to the North East and Newcastle are keen to do a deal".

So basically he's in the Argyle squad travelling up and Newcastle like him but nothing remotely imminent.

Apologies for the bad information!

Just taken the Liberty 🗽 of reading up on him aswell. Seems like Plymouth are similar to us in that they are terrible  But clinical, and Jeohcitt is a big reason to by. Apparently has 24 goals from 19 shots which is madness.

Just taken the Liberty 🗽 of reading up on him aswell. Seems like Plymouth are similar to us in that they are terrible  But clinical, and Jeohcitt is a big reason to by. Apparently has 24 goals from 19 shots which is madness.

That's some ratio.

s*** that  :lol: that was supposed to be 14

Got it from a post on Plymouth forum do hopefully the arts correct

https://www.pasoti.co.uk/talk/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=113056

12 goals from 17 appearances this season on top of how he finished last season is not a flash in the pan, it is almost a full calendar year of football. A goals per minute record better than anyone else in the division is mighty impressive and to read this morning that his 14 goals this season have come from just 19 shots is another impressive statistic. It begs the question how many would he score if he had the benefit of playing in Peterborough's or Pompey's front line and had a few penalties to boost his total as well? He has in comparison to some of the strikers in league 1 been feeding on scraps.

All in all mighty impressive for a player who some keep reminding us has no pace. The Crawley striker being touted at between 500k and 1 million in today's media is slightly older and has a very similar scoring record in a division lower so let's not underestimate Luke's market value.

Steve Bruce has asked #NUFC to extend Dwight Gayle’s contract beyond the current campaign – however it seems those in charge don’t share his enthusiasm.

His injury history, wages ‘in excess’ of £50K & his age (31) are thought to be stumbling blocks in any new deal. [Athletic]

That would be terrible. May well happen though especially if Charnley starts preparing for the possibility of relegation.

Yeah I saw a ted talk a little while back and during this Ted talk he brought up cisse’s stats from the season we finished 5th. Cisse’s strike conversion ratio was at 33%, to put that in context Messi who was as arguably at his peak around that time was at 20%. So this Jephcott lad is doubling Messi’s strike conversion rate, albeit in a poor league.

Here is the Ted talk

Ignore this, I've had my pants pulled down.

Argyle are away at Sunderland tomorrow (I didn't realise) and I was told "he's on his way to the North East and Newcastle are keen to do a deal".

So basically he's in the Argyle squad travelling up and Newcastle like him but nothing remotely imminent.

Apologies for the bad information!

No one believed you anyway  :lol:

The stats I could find put his conversion rate at like 40% which is still really good. 15 in 22, 3 as sub and they are 15th, that's exceptionally good still

Never mind all that nonsense, can he do the basics? Can he show up? How far can he kick it? Can he post it and stick a foot in? Can he stand up? Be counted? These are the issues

The stats I could find put his conversion rate at like 40% which is still really good. 15 in 22, 3 as sub and they are 15th, that's exceptionally good still

Never mind all that nonsense, can he do the basics? Can he show up? How far can he kick it? Can he post it and stick a foot in? Can he stand up? Be counted? These are the issues

I did hear that he doesn't pass the ball or get involved, patchy at turning up too. Would not sign

But what about pride? Does he show pride?

I did hear that he doesn't pass the ball or get involved, patchy at turning up too. Would not sign

But what about pride? Does he show pride?

Did he not score once at Pride Park - does that count? He also had his sleeves rolled up that day too as I recall