Transfer rumours

Yorkie

12 minutes ago, Consortium of one said:

I quite like Van der Beek.  Out of place at Man U.  Quite talented and will likely come with something to prove.  Don't want Bailly, Don't want Lingard.  Iffy on Martial.

Pretty much my my thoughts on all four :thup:

52 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

What are our priorities then?

I'd say a couple of full backs, a centre mid and a right sided forward.

A centre forward I'd have thought seeing as we can't win games when Wilson is injured...which is usually quite a lot.

58 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

What are our priorities then?

I'd say a couple of full backs, a centre mid and a right sided forward.

I don't think we should give up on Lewis yet at LB. He's been managed by an absolute muppet ever since we signed him and there's clearly a good player in there. I'd like to see what he can do under an actual football manager

Guess the priority question goes hand in hand with the other questions how much value is there in January, what position and therefore how desperate situation will we find ourselves in and how much we will be able to ship out to free up space. Will shipping out manage to these people?

If it doesn't matter about the dead wood then how many changes is acceptable 3-5? If we were to buy/loan 5 players then it gives us more scope in terms of priority areas.

if we wont accept players just hanging around not registered and unable to shift how many can we realistically get rid of in 1 transfer window to make way for new players. 

Edited by nufcjmc

I always think, whenever you ask any football fan anywhere what they need, it will always be a commanding defender, a central midfielder, and a reliable striker.

I.e., basically the spine of a whole team.

Out of all those, I think another striker would be just enough to keep us up and that's got to be the ambition this season, while we get things sorted and rebuild in the summer.

After February I'd like to see this first team, assuming they have a new manager in which i expect they will very shortly:

new - same cbs - same cbs - new

new        -          new

new         -   Willock  -    St. Maxi

new

Assuming we spend big on a new striker, we need one more and even though i love Wilson i dont see the point in getting another "backup". Let them fight it out for that spot. Hopefully the striker will be someone prolific like Immobile or whatever.

Central midfield is my 2nd big priority, seeing as i dont think any of them are good enough. Would like a new pairing, with the longstaffs and hayden as backup. Ship out Shelvster and Hendrick.

Fullbacks seem a priority now, but you wonder whether there is a decent player in Lewis if a coach with a brain is here. Also think Manquillo can do an alright job, and the cbs are alright and not a huge liability or priority to replace.

Would like a new winger on the opposite side of Maxi with end-product, i see Chiesa has been mentioned. I love Almiron but i think he prefers playing through the middle offensively, and i dont see it working very well with him and Willock in the same side, but him sure he will still get many games.

Thats 6 new players in January i would like, not exactly Ashley-esque any more. :)

My only worry about our recruitment will be the lack of squad places, do we think we will just let go of the deadwood for peanuts, payoff the contracts of the ones on lower salaries? I can't see too many of the deadwood easily sellable?

11 minutes ago, nortoon said:

Thats 6 new players in January i would like, not exactly Ashley-esque any more.

What are the rules in January transfer windows? Aren't there limits on how many players you can register?

I'll have to check Football Manager(!) but I have an inkling it's 3 additions plus 3 replacements...

19 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I wonder if we'd consider going big to get Toney back.

He'll probably be massively overpriced now. He looks great right now, but must be a chance he'd turn into another Andy Carroll where the fee gets inflated on the back of a good start to a season.

11 minutes ago, TRon said:

He'll probably be massively overpriced now. He looks great right now, but must be a chance he'd turn into another Andy Carroll where the fee gets inflated on the back of a good start to a season.

320 billion and you think Ivan Toney is the man we'd sign.

Edited by Dr.Spaceman

As quite the FM nerd thats only in regards to re-registering players for champions league, i think its 3 max then. For registering a new squad for the english competitions they might be cup-tied or something, but there is no number limit. :)

11 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Toney is the sort of signing we should have been looking at pre-takeover. Post-takeover we will be looking at Champions League level players man.

I think you've set your sights too high for right now. Toney is a quality talent and someone that could grow with the club over the next few years. We aren't going to be going out and buying Haaland and the likes right now. Signing the best players from outside the top six will be part of the process. Much like Man City initially did with the likes of Bridges and Barry.