Transfer rumours

Yorkie

8 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I would. This is a different club to the stepping stone we sold him. 

On loan only, I’d rather we invested money on someone like say James Ward-Prowse.

His wages would be huge and he’s not worth it IMO. 

Edited by HTT II

18 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I wouldn’t mind Carr coming back as head of scouting, contrary to popular thoughts, Rafa wanted to keep him, but Ashley being Ashley, he thought why keep someone else on the payroll and in turn Carr’s job was basically, and over Rafa’s head, given to Barnes who had the final say on who Rafa could and could not go for, hence Joselu to name many :lol:

Rafa was the one who wanted to get rid of Carr. He didn't want to keep him as he wanted to do it his way.

Edited by Ikon

7 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Rafa was the one who wanted to get rid of Carr. He didn't want to keep him.

That’s against everything I’ve heard from a good few scouts at the club who worked underneath Carr (I say a good few, you couldn’t count them on one hand). Rafa wanted to keep Carr to do his job and recommend players to Rafa as he did the club, but on the understanding that within reason he’d be able to have the final say based on finances of course. Which eventually went to Barnes instead once Ashley let Carr go, who basically just said, well you can’t have this and that, this is who you can have, or nothing at all, again hence the likes of Joselu which was Rafa working off his own scouting network/system and even then it was like getting blood out of stone from Ashley/Barnes to sign him. 

Edited by HTT II

24 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Pretty sure that's not true

If Martins and Okocha can play in the youth team at the same time, then everyone can play together. I remember when Pele, Zico, Ronaldo and Neymar participated in the Stockholm Olympics in 1912.

1 minute ago, HTT II said:

That’s against everything I’ve heard from a good few scouts at the club who worked underneath Carr (I say a good few, you couldn’t count them on one hand). Rafa wanted to keep Carr to do his job and recommend players to Rafa as he did the club, but on the understanding that within reason he’d be able to have the final say based on finances of course. which eventually went to Barnes instead once Ashley let Carr go, who basically just said, well you can’t have this and that, this is who you can have, or nothing at all, again hence the likes of Joselu which was Rafa working off his own scouting network/system and even then it was like getting blood out of stone from Ashley/Barnes. 

Then Benitez arrived in 2016 and wanted total control.

'When Rafa got rid of me, I knew more than I ever had done. A mutual friend said Rafa had mentioned my age… so I knew I was on my way out. It wasn't nice. 

'I thought, 'I might be 15 years older than him, but I keep myself fit, let's have a race!'

'Benitez wanted to do it his way. I went into the boardroom and Rafa was with the head of HR, that was me done.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8761341/Super-scout-Graham-Carr-reveals-Newcastle-United.html

6 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Not a problem we have to worry about anymore. :lol:

As silly as this all is (our so-called new wealth), I still don’t want my club spunking huge money away on transfer fees/wages where it can be utilised/spent much better elsewhere. 

53 minutes ago, Dwebbo said:

Thoroughly agree, who’s attainable with similar age and ability for a CB, RB, CF?

Not really a CB, more of a DM but can play CB: I'd love to see us go back in for Boubacar Kamara. Money and a good manager may entice him, and he'll have 6 months left on his contract at Marseille in January. Would be a solid coup. RB, Max Aarons would be a good shout. CF, unsure, honestly think it depends on who we get as manager. If Conte were to come in, would someone like Lautaro Martinez be realistic? Probably more so in the summer.

I think we need another winger, as beyond ASM our options are naff. Dwight McNeil would be a good buy in that case imo.

2 minutes ago, Ikon said:

I sincerely doubt that is true from Rafa regarding Carr, not from what I’ve heard directly from scouts who worked for both Carr and Rafa, some who are still at the club. Why wouldn’t Rafa want a scout like Carr in place? The question you have to ask is, Rafa wanted control of transfers when we went down and Ashley thought well, if I allow that, what’s the point in having Carr. It’s no coincidence once we went up, Rafa’s control of transfers in and out was taken over by Barnes who effectively replaced Carr.

2 hours ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Toney is the sort of signing we should have been looking at pre-takeover. Post-takeover we will be looking at Champions League level players man.

We need to be looking at players who can keep us in the EPL and Ivan Tony can do that job. IMO its going to be a couple of years before we sign CL standard players but Tony just might be that standard in a good side!

5 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I sincerely doubt that is true from Rafa regarding Carr, not from what I’ve heard directly from scouts who worked for both Carr and Rafa, some who are still at the club. Why wouldn’t Rafa want a scout like Carr in place? The question you have to ask is, Rafa wanted control of transfers when we went down and Ashley thought well, if I allow that, what’s the point in having Carr. It’s no coincidence once we went up, Rafa’s control of transfers in and out was taken over by Barnes who effectively replaced Carr.

I cannot answer this. But I doubt Carr would be making lies about it when interviewed. If Rafa wanted to keep him then why would Carr lie and say that Rafa got rid of him :lol:

I remember tons of different sources saying that Rafa was the one who wanted to get rid of him. Didn't look up this article until now because I was "only" 99% sure.

Anyways, doesn't really matter too much. Thought he was good, just that we refused to spend any cash. Wouldn't want him back though.

Edited by Ikon

3 minutes ago, Ikon said:

I cannot answer this. But I doubt Carr would be making lies about it when interviewed. If Rafa wanted to keep him then why would Carr lie and say that Rafa got rid of him :lol:

I seem to recall Rafa did want rid of Carr because he wanted to have control over the players we signed !!!

14 minutes ago, Ikon said:

We all know the lines of communication at this club under Ashley, I doubt the two even spoke together at any time, all I know from scouts who worked under Carr and then Rafa (which was a pretence basically) is Rafa wanted to work with him and join the dots between the two in terms of scouting and recruitment and another fallacy is that Carr wielded some power at SJP RE transfers, he didn’t, he was hired to find cheap bargains who could be resold and he recommended some of the players who are at the top of the game today and the club deliberately choose the bottom of his list rather than the top end, which many ended up working out well for the club and why, probably, despite the quotes, Rafa would have been more than happy to work with someone who could identify such players at both ends of the spectrum. Either way, both were fucked over by one man and one man only, who considered both dispensable when it suited him.

Edited by HTT II

54 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Gini Wijnaldum with a ‘come & get me’ plea if I’ve ever seen one.

Any point,? all our fans did was slag him off, calling him Casper, said he want missing every game, I loved him, weighed in with 11 goals in one season, more than Joelinton will get in 4 seasons, and fans still complained. He was managed by a total clown at the time, who talked to him in a daft Dutch accent, so that probably didn't help.

Edited by mighty__mag

1 minute ago, Ikon said:

Ok.. 

Hey, I could be wrong. I’m just going off what a number of people have told me who worked closely loosely with both…

Edited by HTT II

4 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I'm glad Soumare went to Leicester, would hate us to sign anyone who's previously been so open about turning us down.

Mate, I couldn't even be arsed to watch my team play from the comfort of my own living room under Ashley nevermind risk my promising career by coming to this graveyard. All bets are off. Slates cleaned etc...