Transfer rumours

Yorkie

2 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

Watching Aaron Ramsey tonight for Wales, looks the part.

His commitment to Wales isn’t in question but would he be that bothered about us. The commentators also mentioned how he put in such effort in the last qualifying round in the first match and couldn’t sustain a similar level in the next which suggests inability to recover from games. Not someone you could rely all the time but good when fit. Wheel him out for the big games and rest him at other times.

15 hours ago, KaKa said:

Linked with PSG left-back Abdou Diallo, who can also play at centre back. Formerly of Borussia Dortmund. Classy player, would love that signing. Currently out of favour in the PSG team, and so should be possible.

Similar profile to Nathan Ake, so would sort of make sense for Eddie.

Qataris probably won't sell to us though.

3 hours ago, duo said:

We've got to be realistic who we can attract seeing as where we are.  Some of the players mentioned are never going to come when we're odds on to be relegated. 

We're actually about evens with the bookies (similar to Burnley). As others say, next few games massive. Pick up a good amount of points, combined with the prospect of Jan, we'd probably be fairly long odds to get relegated. Mess up these 3 home games and Jan will be a desperate throw of the dice and players much more reluctant. 

I think early part of the window we have to be looking to bring players in from abroad, no way any team in the PL deals with us until the end of the window. If they can keep us weak for another month of games then they will especially if we're still in the drop zone then. 

1 hour ago, tom1988 said:

I think early part of the window we have to be looking to bring players in from abroad, no way any team in the PL deals with us until the end of the window. If they can keep us weak for another month of games then they will especially if we're still in the drop zone then. 

It'll be interesting to see what happens with this, could be their desire for money overrides it. Obviously key relegation rivals won't be selling us important players, but I don't see why teams higher up wouldn't deal.

From Duncan Castles, rather than The Express itself:

Newcastle owners change January transfer plan as Amanda Staveley eyes six new signings

Newcastle United's new owners have changed their approach to the January transfer window after realising the club is in a worse state on the pitch than they thought, according to reports. The Saudi Arabian-backed takeover was completed last month to end Mike Ashley's much-maligned reign at St James Park.

Newcastle fans have already seen a change in manager, with Eddie Howe replacing Steve Bruce.

The Magpies sit 19th in the Premier League table with just five points from their opening 11 matches of the season.

They are level on points with bottom-of-the-table Norwich, who many have already written off as destined for the Championship.

And the shocking start to the campaign has led to a change in approach from the new owners.

Speaking on the Transfer Window podcast, Duncan Castles says Newcastle were initially taking a conservative approach to the January window.

But now as many as six players could be brought in to help fight the battle against relegation.

Castles said: "They have realised that the club is in a worse state in football terms than they expected when they came in, and that relegation is a real possibility given the poor quality of players they have and the position they're in in the division.

"How do they solve that? Obviously the January window has become far more important to them.

"Initially the idea was to be conservative in the January window, don't want to do deals then, they were conscious it is difficult to bring players in mid-season, that prices can be high, availability is limited.

"But they now feel that they have to use the window to its maximum potential to radically change the squad.

"I'm hearing talk of maybe five or six players coming in. Then the question is how do you do that? What's the best strategy to take players?"

Newcastle co-owner Amanda Staveley said last week that preparations had already begun ahead of January.

Staveley also explained why she thinks former Bournemouth boss Howe is the right man to spearhead the revolution.

Don't think it's anything new, really. She's said herself that we'll be looking to deal in January this time, but not necessarily in a typical season.

Think it's always been about 5-6 players but we've had some encouraging signs from agents so feels more confident talking about it. She's also probably being reserved after emery so I think Jan is going to be one of the biggest windows in our history. No other way about it. Buy our way out of trouble.

Most of your transfer business should be done over the summer imo; you should go into the new season with the squad you want in place. Use the January window for adding bargains, filling injury gaps, and players who can get you over the top.

Obviously the current state of our squad necessitates a significant infusion of talent in January. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Tomato Deuce said:

Most of your transfer business should be done over the summer imo; you should go into the new season with the squad you want in place. Use the January window for adding bargains, filling injury gaps, and players who can get you over the top.

Obviously the current state of our squad necessitates a significant infusion of talent in January. :lol:

Agreed. It's a special set of circumstances, I'm just glad they see it and it looks like they are planning early. Shit or bust.

All I keep thinking is that French January in 2013(?) on steroids. We spent about 20p then and it proved to be more than enough. (We were 15th on 20 points, three points above Southampton in 18th with the same GD at that point. Ended up 16th on 41, five clear of Wigan in the end.)

5-6 sounds right. Supplementing the decent handful and borderlines.

16 minutes ago, Rich said:

All I keep thinking is that French January in 2013(?) on steroids. We spent about 20p then and it proved to be more than enough.

Ahhh, the plague of frogs

5 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

That would cripple Inter, be like Liverpool losing Van Dijk and Henderson

They are still in the red I think - plus Brozovic has an expiring contract - he would be an incredible signing fwiw