Transfer rumours

Yorkie

Not exactly excited at the prospect of Wood, seems to be having a bad season and tends to wander off side quite often. That being said I can see this as a stop gap purchase as we need someone yesterday to step up. Not a terrible squad player but definitely not the answer long term. Could it be that we're looking at better targets and Wood is just the one we can get in before Watford?

9 minutes ago, Stottie said:

Wood has 3 from 5 xG this year, so he's getting into positions but may have missed a couple. Reassuringly, Cornet has 6 goals from 1.5 xG, and that scoring rate won't continue. Based on this, taking away Wood may hurt Burnley more than their fans currently realize. That all said, I suspect the club we need to finish above is Watford, not Burnley.

17 million is too much, and I would rather take a punt on Diaz.

Good post. 

Agree re: Diaz, but they don’t want to sell while promotion is still a possibility.

12 minutes ago, Stottie said:

Wood has 3 from 5 xG this year, so he's getting into positions but may have missed a couple. Reassuringly, Cornet has 6 goals from 1.5 xG, and that scoring rate won't continue. Based on this, taking away Wood may hurt Burnley more than their fans currently realize. That all said, I suspect the club we need to finish above is Watford, not Burnley.

17 million is too much, and I would rather take a punt on Diaz.

We need to finish above them both

Everyone saying the price is steep. That is going to be the case with every transfer, especially from other Prem clubs, isn’t it? 

We either take a massive risk, pay over the odds for a lot of players. Or accept our fate and start building for the Championship.  

2 minutes ago, triggs said:

If his name was Cristiano Woodinho people would say £17m was a bargain

Even if that was true we cannot ignore the fact we'd essentially be giving Burnley a lifeline to escape relegation.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

12 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

Wood is an Ashley signing 

Not at 17 million, he isn't.

I think Wood is better than Orcball makes him look. His scoring record in the PL is better than Rondon, and everyone loved him. The risk is that Burnley might, that's might not will, get someone good in for 17 million, but its January when transfers are difficult and they're Burnley with Burnley's wage structure. It may well be a risk worth taking.

I thnk Burnley will be second bottom, they looked effing awful against Leeds, so we need to finish above Watford. Watford have some good players and look half decent in spells.

Just now, Stottie said:

Not at 17 million, he isn't.

I think Wood is better than Orcball makes him look. His scoring record in the PL is better than Rondon, and everyone loved him. The risk is that Burnley might, that's might not will, get someone good in for 17 million, but its January when transfers are difficult and they're Burnley with Burnley's wage structure. It may well be a risk worth taking.

I thnk Burnley will be second bottom, they looked effing awful against Leeds, so we need to finish above Watford. Watford have some good players and look half decent in spells.

Price tag has nothing to do with it 

Ashley signing 

2 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Even if that was true we cannot 8gnore the fact we'd essentially be given Burnley a lifeline to escape relegation.

Who will Burnley get for £17m that is better than Wood? Bare in mind they basically only buy players from Britain

Yesterday should have driven home how desperately we need strikers added to the squad. If we signed Wood and then added another, more exciting striker like Isak in the coming weeks it would make sense.

17m does seem stupid money for someone who should be 3rd choice behind Wilson and a new striker soon. Although I suppose we could be targeting someone who can lead the line or play just off the striker, in which case Wood would (wood would Fleetwood) still figure to be quite involved even if everyone was fit.

If there is any truth in this, and Amanda & co has a solid plan which they look at frequently, I am going to trust that, and reserve my judgement after the transfer window has closed :thup:

https://www.newcastleworld.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/amanda-staveley-has-already-given-newcastle-united-january-transfer-window-vow-as-second-signing-is-eyed-3520330

Edited by maze

If it’s true I think it’s an astute signing. The guy has about 50 goals for a poor Burnley team, about a 1 every 3 games return which is miles better than anything we currently have.

Hes big, strong and imposing and would be a nuisance to play against as we’ve seen first hand a few times.

We also sign another forward to either play left or right off him and move ASM accordingly.