Newcastle United 0 - 3 Chelsea (30/10/21)

Disco

Difficult to watch however I personally feel the team worked hard in the first half to contain Chelsea. They looked more organised and more disciplined but without a plan to challenge rather defend. 
I’m not sure there’s a manager in the world who could have changed the result, there’s a very long road ahead but my overwhelming feeling is that there needs to be a clean slate from top to bottom, all new coaching and management team and a whole new spine of players as a minimum. 

90% of the balls we played toward Wilson today were goal kicks. Total shambles. You could tell the first 5 times we tried it that it wasn’t working, yet we persisted doing it all game.

I think Jones played his part in us staying up last season, but other teams have improved, adapted etc.. he could well have run out of ideas.

We just look totally devoid of anything worth building on.

2 minutes ago, Lenny said:

What I will say, as shit as that was it's nice to feel the wont to constructively talk about it rather than just erase it from my mind. 

I at least feel pain today, and anger. That's better than feeling nothing.

Just now, Happinesstan said:

With Dubravka in goal it's a different game today. He gives confidence to the back line, which means we're not so dependent on the midfield protecting them.

Not if we all sit in our own box all match and have 20% of the ball, and that seemed to be the instructions we were under rather than because of who the GK was.

A really gut kicking result considering they seemed to be aware of just the plan of getting a single point or nicking something late.  

it wasn’t pretty, was never going to be but you could tell the plan literally was that. 

however a world class manager quickly made the subs ahead of ours and they scored and it was over. The introduction of Loftus-Cheek changed the game for them as he attacked the box and allowed James to get space in dangerous areas in the box. Game over. 

a new spine, a new coaching setup, a new fitness regime, every thing needs change. 

Guest reefatoon
28 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Just the way you put it, Hes not a manager, never will be, when originally quoting me, like I thought he was? 

So we both know he's a coach then, great👍🏻

ahh yeah, wasn’t disagreeing with you. I was agreeing with your point. 

I'm beginning to wonder if relegation is a real possibility in terms of the rebuild and getting rid of the rot that has infested the club. It needs fumigating everywhere.

Gonna be a helluva job for whoever comes in, because most of these players have given up.

15 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

“A new spine” can start with starting three of our best players (Dubs, Schar, Willock) rather than having them on the bench. 

We’ve almost got enough players to have a fresh start without any signings. We just need to start mixing it up and stop making the same selection mistakes. 

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

We’ve almost got enough players to have a fresh start without any signings. We just need to start mixing it up and stop making the same selection mistakes. 

Yep, there is a reason Liverpool we’re going to sign Lewis, schar is a Swiss international, Fernandez is our best defender, willock has pace and energy. A new manager you would feel can get a lot out of that team when properly coached 

Guest reefatoon
2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Official possession was 20%,  but I assume that includes stuff like taking goal kicks etc?

If it was active possession in terms of passing the ball to each other, I’d say more like 5%. 

Yep, most of our possession was someone getting the ball, looking up, seeing nothing and giving it back to Darlow to wallop up the pitch to nobody. Rinse and repeat every time we had it.

Edited by reefatoon

50 minutes ago, PCW1983 said:

Difficult to watch however I personally feel the team worked hard in the first half to contain Chelsea. They looked more organised and more disciplined but without a plan to challenge rather defend. 
I’m not sure there’s a manager in the world who could have changed the result, there’s a very long road ahead but my overwhelming feeling is that there needs to be a clean slate from top to bottom, all new coaching and management team and a whole new spine of players as a minimum. 

no but i would rather have had a go at 0-1 down and then lost 0-3 rather than just contiuing to sit back and play a back 5 and a disabled LWB who cant run defend or cross any more.

the stupid farce over the subs - fuck me.

jones man, go back to coaching strikers.

I think what’s happened here is 14 years of abject underinvestment in the squad, club and facilities and the attendant affect that has had on the confidence of the players.

We’ve been set up to fail. These players have been bought, most of them, to keep us ticking over and stay in the premier league by the skin of our teeth. And that’s exactly what we are doing.

The whole thing needs investment and time. It may not be enough this season, who knows.

Im not sure any manager would have got us much nearer Chelsea today.

1 minute ago, LV said:

I think what’s happened here is 14 years of abject underinvestment in the squad, club and facilities and the attendant affect that has had on the confidence of the players.

We’ve been set up to fail. These players have been bought, most of them, to keep us ticking over and stay in the premier league by the skin of our teeth. And that’s exactly what we are doing.

The whole thing needs investment and time. It may not be enough this season, who knows.

Im not sure any manager would have got us much nearer Chelsea today.

maybe not but they may have at least tried.

jones kept on with the same formation sitting back even when we were losing.

and he started the same team that was so shit last week.