The Relegationometer™ (2023/24)

midds

The Relegationometer™ (2023/24)  

403 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to get relegated this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

7, down from 8.

Reason it's gone down:

Our signings

Reasons it's not lower:

I'm just naturally pessimistic

Until now it's felt like a relegation season

No prolific striker for a while

It's a fight probably between only 4 clubs

I expect Roy Hodgson to sort Watford out,

I think Lampard will get a new manager bounce and get a tune out of Alli

I think it'll still be very close and feels like it'll go down to the last game.

Edited by Kid Icarus

I would say about a 6. We replaced 3/4 of the back line. It is crucial we don't play Lascelles going forward. Schar or Fernandez or Dummett can play there. I would play Willock in his position of last year and encourage St Max to cross it a bit more for Wood

Edited by OverThere

We've given ourselves a good chance for sure, Target and Trippier and definitely upgrades, Bruno and Burn could be absolutely key to survival - Burn needs to be solid, not just an improvement from the current jokers, and Bruno can potentially change our play almost on his own. Wood is simply better to have than have nothing.

Beat Everton using this feelgood factor, and i'll be confident for the first time this season.

I hit near zero on the initial reports of Ekitite on his way and Lingard still sounding possible, but back up to three with neither coming.

I understand the fear, but we've still strengthened, probably the most in the league, and the other three teams have hardly bought anyone.

A pity also that the first team we'll face now have VDB and Alli, because they were looking very weak too.

4. Was close to a 3.

Find it weird that so many people think it is more likely that we'll get relegated than staying up after strengthening the squad significantly compared to every other team in the league.

Oh no we failed to get a 1 goal every 5.5 game player in Lingard, how will we ever score a goal again :lol: 

4 hours ago, Fantail Breeze said:

10 impossible to pick unless we’ve already been relegated.

Anyone got any specific views about the numbering?

People can still pick 10 if they’re 100% convinced you’re going down. I think it’s a bit silly to do so (and usually just a case of the reverse-jinxy) but some people have had the 10s out in the past so you have to have it there.

4 hours ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

:lol: How? Because they signed Weghorst?

Essentially yes, they've replaced an out of form Chris Wood with a striker with a greater goal record for half the price. We'll see in due time who does better between him and Chris Wood over the next few months.

We've made some really good signings this window. However it still does not change how toothless we are up front, so hopefully it's enough to keep us up.

Edited by Menace

I think we've both benefited from the deal like. Wood has the reaction times of an octogenarian, but his 'headers won' against leeds was insane so he's given us an option that Howe obviously wants.

Burnley replacing him with just about anyone benifits them because he was, by all accounts, playing absolutely shite for them.

Hopefully it's all irrelevant and we finish comfortably above a few teams.

Gone for a 4, think given how we've strengthened, and the fact we've looked better in our last 3 games getting 5 points puts us in good stead, and confidence will be high, so i'm more hopeful then not, but its so close down there I could see any number of 6 teams going down. Going to be a tight finish.

7 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Well if he doesn't we're getting relegated, so let's hope he does :lol:

We should have enough quality in the side besides Wood to be safe, and in about a month Wilson will be back too. 

Just now, Ankles Bennett said:

He will score more goals for Burnley than Wood will for us so they may win those games they have in hand over us and drag us back down even if we win a couple of games.

I get there sentiment, but there is no guarantee he hits the ground running, also alot of Burnleys problems this season have been the way they attack, and not being able to create attack, so simply bringing a striker in won't suddenly resolve there issues, especially when you consider there defense has also been leaky. 

Just now, 54 said:

I get there sentiment, but there is no guarantee he hits the ground running, also alot of Burnleys problems this season have been the way they attack, and not being able to create attack, so simply bringing a striker in won't suddenly resolve there issues, especially when you consider there defense has also been leaky. 

Exactly, which could also be applied to us, we simply don’t carry enough attacking intent going forward and have time and time again been bailed out by ASM turning it on or Wilson finding the back of the net. If we get crosses into Wood, get further up the pitch and mix our play up, not only will he get better service, but it will allow the likes of ASM to play off him and be freed up.

Anyway, we need to stop worrying about what others do and don’t do, we just need to get as many points as we can from every game that is left and if that’s enough, great, if not, then so be it!

5 hours ago, Conjo said:

4. Was close to a 3.

Find it weird that so many people think it is more likely that we'll get relegated than staying up after strengthening the squad significantly compared to every other team in the league.

Oh no we failed to get a 1 goal every 5.5 game player in Lingard, how will we ever score a goal again :lol: 

May have to do with our league table position and the fact that our problem has been turning draws into wins. 

it’s 50/50 for me

As far as i am concerned we have fixed the "glaring" weaknesses in our side; left side of defence and holding midfielder. Most of the draws we have had have been defensive errors and cos we were incapable of holding out for the win.

This should be fixed now with Trippier, Burn and Target. Schar or lascelles play decent and should up their game with the new competition.

bruno is a huge unexpected surprise, this will go a long way to improving screening in front of the defence and quick transitions.

If chris wood can put in 3-4 goals until calum gets back, we are sound.

3 minutes ago, Collage said:

May have to do with our league table position and the fact that our problem has been turning draws into wins. 

it’s 50/50 for me

I get why people are nervous as there's no guarantees in football, but I still don't understand how you can look at the table, look at Norwich, Watford, Burnley, look at their transfer business in January and think that we somehow are more likely to go down than them.