Kieran Trippier 'hopefully back soon' (Howe)

Yorkie

One of the most important and influential signings in the clubs history. Came at a time when others were shying away and then seemed to raise the levels of everyone around him with his quality, talent and professionalism. Getting better and better as well.

On 22/10/2023 at 09:53, Rafalove said:

Who is actually better than him? James, Cancelo, Koundè, Hakimi, Walker?

I honestly don't think you can quantify it tbh.

I don't think he'd look nearly as impressive at many other clubs because he's unlikely to be entrusted with driving the whole team forward (from right back ffs :lol: ridiculous). He'd almost be wasted to an extent.

Similarly, we could go and blow an entire summer's budget on some of the above named that may in theory be 'better' but they wouldn't offer half of what he does in the on- and off-pitch leadership role.

He really is irreplaceable.

10 minutes ago, Max Cherry said:

Anyone got a video of him absolutely crunching Mitchell on Saturday? What a tackle man. Tough as they come and such a gifted footballer 

It's on the match cam.

2 minutes ago, JP said:

Would love to keep him at the club in some capacity after his playing days are done. 

Fairly good chance he stays around the area, with him being such a family man I can't see him taking his kids out of their schools again.

Would make a cracking coach you'd think!

the best view of the 4th goal is the one from behind. murphy has so much faith in trippier's ability that he has a quick look and just runs - he knows the balls gonna be perfect.

and tripps plays it outside him bending in - just genius. am sure a lot of full backs would have played it inside.

1 hour ago, BonesJones said:

Fairly good chance he stays around the area, with him being such a family man I can't see him taking his kids out of their schools again.

Would make a cracking coach you'd think!

Unlike my transfer sources, she's not always reliable, but I've been told by someone who lives in Darras Hall and gets all the gossip, that he's bought his wife's parents a place up here. 

On 23/10/2023 at 09:36, vicente_14 said:

One of the most important and influential signings in the clubs history. Came at a time when others were shying away and then seemed to raise the levels of everyone around him with his quality, talent and professionalism. Getting better and better as well.

Amen. One of the best signings this club has made.

Not his finest hour tonight, I'd rather he had an off day in a league game against one of the fodder rather than tonight but sadly you can't pick and choose when someone dips below their usual excellent standard.

13 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

I love Tripps but today he wasn't at his best, i don't understand why he insists that everything goes through him and he gets to take all the set-plays, Targett had one go and it was better than all his crosses tonight.

I'm not sure it's him insisting, but yeah, it clearly wasn't happening tonight.

Unlike PSG, Dortmund did their homework and knew that Trippier makes us tick moreso than any other player. He never had more than a few feet of space to work in and his usual passing channels were always obstructed by multiple defenders. That doesn't excuse the sketchy set piece delivery but I can't really fault him too much during open play. Dortmund came and did a job on us, and I don't think there was anything more critical to their gameplan being executed than how effectively they dealt with Tripps.

28 minutes ago, nemtizz said:

Madness we’re wasting 20 seconds for him to waddle over to take a set piece on the left hand side. 

It’s like something out of a comedy sketch, except it’s not funny 

26 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

I love Tripps but today he wasn't at his best, i don't understand why he insists that everything goes through him and he gets to take all the set-plays, Targett had one go and it was better than all his crosses tonight.

Yeah I was thinking similar. Obviously it doesn’t matter for the foreseeable but Tonali’s meant to have excellent delivery but doesn’t really get a look in. 

20 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Unlike PSG, Dortmund did their homework and knew that Trippier makes us tick moreso than any other player. He never had more than a few feet of space to work in and his usual passing channels were always obstructed by multiple defenders. That doesn't excuse the sketchy set piece delivery but I can't really fault him too much during open play. Dortmund came and did a job on us, and I don't think there was anything more critical to their gameplan being executed than how effectively they dealt with Tripps.

They also exploited the space behind him really well. As you say, clearly did their homework.

23 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I don't think he did much wrong, it was the players in front of him who couldn't cope. Longstaff and Almiron both struggled with this level of technique. It's a lot easier against Sheffield Utd and Crystal Palace.