Kieran Trippier

Yorkie

8 hours ago, Dr Venkman said:

Still the best defender we have for passing the ball out, and by a considerable margin. Have massively missed that while he’s been injured.

Aye, always has his head up, massive loss for us in games we want / should keep the ball

19 hours ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

That was good. I had a few typos as I was rather hammered when I posted.

Last post on this lads, not trying to wreck the thread. Aussies love it but the Rugby guys there hate it from comments back then.

I loved it. Have an AFL game on my PS4.

So is the majority thinking Tripps gets replaced by Tino next year? I don't think it's that simple. True leader of men and maybe has a year of 50% starts?

Probably late to sell him for value and wouldn't want to see that.

Don't think Trippier gets replaced, and I don't think we should, but I hope we start preparing for a life without him by phasing Tino in rather than playing Trippier for every minute of every game until injury.

6 hours ago, McDog said:

So is the majority thinking Tripps gets replaced by Tino next year? I don't think it's that simple. True leader of men and maybe has a year of 50% starts?

Probably late to sell him for value and wouldn't want to see that.

Wouldn’t say anything like the majority think that.

People understandably more to see Tino getting more minutes somehow. But I suspect very few think he’s currently a better RB than Trippier.

The difficult thing is they’re very different players and offer completely different strengths to the team:

Trippier - defensively very solid positionally, remarkably good in the air considering his height, our main route for building attacks from defence, takes all set pieces and creates most chances from crosses

Tino - fantastic ball carrier, good recovery pace, good in the air, very solid positionally. Won’t create a lot of chances from crosses but is an amazing attacking outlet 

2 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

Trippier turns 34 this year. As good and important as he is, if a good offer comes I think we should take it.

I understand this position but my position is I don't think the paltry offer we'd get for him outweighs what we'd miss letting him go.

If we're absolutely dead up against PSR/FFP/Red Cartel rules, and the offer that comes in is magnificent before June 30th. Perhaps.

What's a "good" offer for him though? £15m? He's worth FAR more to us than the money we'd ever get for him. He's a leader both on and off the pitch, that's hard to find.

This isn't Paul Dummett or Matt Ritchie we're talking about.

Just now, Shearergol said:

What's a "good" offer for him though? £15m? He's worth FAR more to us than the money we'd ever get for him. He's a leader both on and off the pitch, that's hard to find.

This isn't Paul Dummett or Matt Ritchie we're talking about.

I'm basically thinking of an offer that will never happen. Unless you know, PIF decide to take the piss and ignore FaIr MaRkEt VaLuE.

4 hours ago, The Butcher said:

Trippier turns 34 this year. As good and important as he is, if a good offer comes I think we should take it.

What is a good offer for him? There was talk we are going to give him another year after next. If his body can keep up, he is still a big asset for us. His game has never been about pace, and hes a topp class technical player.

Just now, STM said:

Ship has sailed on selling Trippier. He won't be going anywhere.

Yep. No one is going to pay good money for someone who will be 34 next season. The upside is, even if we don't get £12m or so, he is still at least a fabulous footballer so we will still have a very good player for next season. To a lesser degree it's the same for Callum Wilson. Wilson is more injury prone so I think most would be far happier to see him sold.

I think the time to sell him has probably been and gone now, although it depends if there was Saudi interest.

It'd probably be best to just keep him but not as automatic first choice, with Tino getting a lot more game time and probably becoming first choice.

Then hopefully in a year or two Shahar will be ready to step up to the first team when Trippier does go/retire.

Says he wants to be a coach but not a manager which I think bumps up the chances of him staying here long term. Would be cool if he does slot into our setup long term.

Eddie on Trippier - 

"Kieran is getting closer; he has trained this week. It was the first time with the group. He trained well, it has been a good week for him. I will make a decision today whether he will be involved tomorrow."