Kieran Trippier

Yorkie

His comments are spot on. 

He'll want to be at his best for the England camp. Players like Trippier don't just prepare for a game the day before, they'll be eating right, sleeping well and focusing on what's coming up. Jetting to the other side of the world for two end of season friendlies the players will get absolutely nothing from is exactly what he says it is - far from ideal. 

1 minute ago, Doctor Zaius said:

His comments are spot on. 

He'll want to be at his best for the England camp. Players like Trippier don't just prepare for a game the day before, they'll be eating right, sleeping well and focusing on what's coming up. Jetting to the other side of the world for two end of season friendlies the players will get absolutely nothing from is exactly what he says it is - far from ideal. 

yeah but his job is Newcastle and he needs to go earn us some coin.

1 minute ago, duo said:

yeah but his job is Newcastle and he needs to go earn us some coin.

Totally agree, he's not going to Australia to lay fucking bricks for 10 days, he's flying first class to play probably 60 mins and then coming back for a week off before going to a 5 star resort in Germany.

For fucks sake luxury is not something to complain about.

If this England team doesn't win the Euros it will have nothing to do with the reserve right back getting his photo took with a Kangaroo 

Posted (edited)

Top flight Footballers just live in a different world - totally forget the privileged lifestyle they live.  He could learn a thing or two from Gordon - played U21s - within a week of it ending was in Newcastle training, now he'll be off to Australia before then joining the England squad. So no break in two years - if anyone has a case to complain it's him.

Edited by duo

4 hours ago, PauloGeordio said:

Got no time for any player that is country before club! 

You’ll not have time for many players then. 

Good to see the knee jerk reactions are kept to a minimum after a dissapointing result on wednesday.

Nothing wrong with what he's said. Still a class player and vital for us on and off the pitch.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SAK said:

To be fair they’re not going to slum it in economy, they’ll be waiting in private lounges, sped through security checks, and chauffeured in luxury coaches. South American/African/Asian players plying their trade in Europe make long journeys for continental championships like the Copa America and they can perform.

edit: I’m aware Australia is one of the longest flights but the general point stands.

I just think about when I lived in Japan, it genuinely took me about a month to get over the jet lag when I first got there. It had nothing to do with the flight itself, it was the time difference that completely fucked me up, I barely knew where I was and that was 7 hours and a few hundred miles less East than Austrailia. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

4 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Personally, I think the trip is a terrible idea.  It’s not even like it is worth it to tap into a ‘new market’ - Australia’s population is small, and has generally little interest in football - and those who do already have a team.  The timing is awful, and does no-one any favours.  Even a full MCG isn’t making us huge money once it’s divvied up.  

How would you rank the popularity of sport down under? I could be wrong on 1 & 2 order.

My wild Guess:

1) Footie

2) Rugby
3) Cricket
4) Football

1 hour ago, McDog said:

How would you rank the popularity of sport down under? I could be wrong on 1 & 2 order.

My wild Guess:

1) Footie

2) Rugby
3) Cricket
4) Football

1) Aussie rules (though not in NSW and Queensland)

2) rugby league (NSW and Queensland mainly)

3) cricket

4) football (proper football!)

5) possibly rugby union … at a push … if Australia are doing well.  Otherwise, there’s a few sports who could make a claim on this spot

There seems to be a considerable drop-off between 3) and 4), though in my experience football is a lot more popular than when I first came out here on a backpacker Visa in the late 00s.  It’s definitely growing, but there’s no chance it supplants Aussie rules or rugby league. 

1 hour ago, McDog said:

My wild Guess:

1) Footie

2) Rugby
3) Cricket
4) Football

European football and Premier League is still insanely popular. Football is still the most participated sport in Oz. There is an appetite for it for sure. The A-League is just awful and poorly administrated . They just continue to kick own goals. But kind of entertaining in a way you would laugh at someone farting at a funeral. 

I think from Trippiers point of view, these players forget they are paid in a week what most people don't earn in 4 years. Flying first class to Australia and staying in a 5 star hotel. He will likely only play 90 minutes over there, which going by his performance on the weekend he needs as many games as he can get, to get back into form. 

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

I just think about when I lived in Japan, it genuinely took me about a month to get over the jet lag when I first got there. It had nothing to do with the flight itself, it was the time difference that completely fucked me up, I barely knew where I was and that was 7 hours and a few hundred miles less East than Austrailia. 

A mate of mine once said that you should allow one day for every one hour you go over time zones.  It’s a pretty solid rule in my experience.  

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

A mate of mine once said that you should allow one day for every one hour you go over time zones.  It’s a pretty solid rule in my experience.  

They are going for 5 days, I would imagine they will stay on European time zones or only a few hours different. Stay up late and sleep in. I feel like his comments are a slap in the face to the NUFC fans who have paid thousands of dollars to come and see the lads in Melbourne from all over the country. 

3 minutes ago, aussiemag said:

European football and Premier League is still insanely popular. Football is still the most participated sport in Oz. There is an appetite for it for sure. The A-League is just awful and poorly administrated . They just continue to kick own goals. But kind of entertaining in a way you would laugh at someone farting at a funeral. 

I think from Trippiers point of view, these players forget they are paid in a week what most people don't earn in 4 years. Flying first class to Australia and staying in a 5 star hotel. He will likely only play 90 minutes over there, which going by his performance on the weekend he needs as many games as he can get, to get back into form. 

It’s the most participated in part because both genders play it (which is a positive, not trying to be dismissive) and it is played in every state.

Most of the native Aussies I meet seem to be aware of the PL, but only in the same way that the average British sports fan are aware of the NBA etc.  

1 minute ago, aussiemag said:

They are going for 5 days, I would imagine they will stay on European time zones or only a few hours different. Stay up late and sleep in. I feel like his comments are a slap in the face to the NUFC fans who have paid thousands of dollars to come and see the lads in Melbourne from all over the country. 

I take your point, but it’s a daft friendly.  I never went to NUFC friendlies in the UK and expected a performance tbh - which is why I stopped going to them; they’re glorified training events.  It’s also why I wouldn’t drop any notes on travelling to Melbourne for this one - would rather fly back to the UK and watch a proper match. 

14 minutes ago, aussiemag said:

So Footie has taken a back seat to Football? I honestly have no clue.

1 hour ago, McDog said:

So Footie has taken a back seat to Football? I honestly have no clue.

No chance :) more people play association football on an organised basis - again, the game being the only one played by both genders comes into it - but if you walk into a pub it’s Aussie rule or rugby league on every screen; most sports tops worn by the average punter relate to those sports; a conversation re sport with the average Australian will usually touch one of them.  Football is in a healthy state in Australia, but it’s not close to being the national sport.  

Posted (edited)

Anyone else think he might be off this summer? I still think he’s got another season with us but rotating more with Tino. I just wonder if someone comes in with a bid he might be moved on?

Edited by ExiledGeordie

2 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Anyone else think he might be off this summer? I still think he’s got another season with us but rotating more with Tino. I just wonder if someone comes in with a bid he might be moved on?

I don’t think he does no, anything less than Bayern offered would look and be a bad deal for us. and nobody will offer us that. (Unless Saudi) but I don’t see it. 

1 minute ago, r0cafella said:

I don’t think he does no, anything less than Bayern offered would look and be a bad deal for us. and nobody will offer us that. (Unless Saudi) but I don’t see it. 

Yes I think we’ll still need his experience next season but it wouldn’t entirely shock me if it happened. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ExiledGeordie said:

He’ll be away, I’m convinced. Not happy about it as I’ve loved watching him play for us.

Edited by Dr Venkman

By his standards this seasons been poor, also injured. 

Hope the "wants away" patter is just that, patter. Having said that if he's got outside reasons, domestic for eg, then toodle-ooo. 

Bigger picture view, pour moi, is it would be nice to see him give one more season here. He's still a great player and would be good for Tino if he wants to be England's go to RB with LB ability hoyed in. Year 1 we jumped the shark, CL and a cup final. Kinda stretched everyone's ambitions this year and ? we can end year 2 with something to show for it, esp given how horrific the injuries have been. I don't expect a "total overhaul" pre-year 3 but I do think we'll improve the starting 11 AND the bench. Next season could be it. Jeez we could even win a European Cup ??

I'd like Tripps to be there when it happens. Him and Bruno. 

They took a leap of faith in us ❤️

Posted (edited)

Nothing wrong with what he said imo. Ofcourse its far from ideal, but he also understood why the club are doing it.

I do think we should sell him in the summer while we have a chance to get something from him though. I just cant see him being happy with being a backup to Livramento, which is what he should be. While he does have alot of abilities left in him, he has also shown an awful amound of weaknesses this season. 

Livramento is the future and also a better player than the current version of Trippier.

If he is ok not being part of the first 11 then i would be happy to keep him, his experience will always be an asset.

Edited by Displayname

I'd sell him if we have enough cover at full back. Haven't read the comments etc. Just think he's not as good as Tino at this point and a bit of a progress stopper. Also takes Gordon off set pieces. Need to recycle any proceeds/wages to other areas of the squad which need attention.

No animosity towards the guy, appreciate what he's done at Newcastle and wish him well.

Funny that he's spoken out about the Australia trip when, despite the travel issue, these games are exactly what he needs cos he's rusty as fuck!