Sven Botman

The Prophet

I don’t want to reach too much but it does sound like he’s close to jacking the football in and launching a music career. I for one would be honoured to see him get a no. 1

5 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

Glad we're paying him loads of money to get back into rhythm. Didn't realise we were the opposite of a music school. 

Bit too snarky this, tbh. 

Edited by wormy

4 hours ago, PauloGeordio said:

Nah Sven, you were bullied by Solanke (Championship-level striker according to some on here :lol:) all match and looked slower than ever before. 

Yeah in the balance of fairness...Sven has been really poor since returning from injury. Understandable maybe given he's so young still and had a bad injury. But he's looked just as slow as Burn and can't really remember anything from his performances that make him look like the high ceiling potential player we signed. 

I guess their absence has shown to those that might have doubted it, just how important the likes of Joelinton and Willock were to protecting the back 4 last season. 

37 minutes ago, Kanji said:

He did his knee ligaments and somehow has come back playing this season, I’d venture to say it’s gonna take some time. 

Yeah, it was a bad one and he's reintegrated into the team in some of the worst of circumstances. He's not up to par, but at least he knows it and has time on his side.

His passing was off for a lot of yesterday I thought. Even when it wasn’t to Bournemouth. A lot of the time it was fizzed in about waist height to someone who had a man marking them :lol: 

I know pace is an expensive commodity and perhaps it’s a lazy and obvious comparison. But whilst I think Botman is a better technician and ‘defender’. We could really do with someone like van De Ven on that side. Especially when Burn plays. That is such a slow left sided pairing. He has been noticeably and understandably sluggish since the injury. 

We really need some pace adding to the back 4 in the summer. Not sure who comes out? As Schar and Botman have been quality and Trippier is our talisman. I’m not sure we’d spend a good chunk on yet another left back, either. Plus we know Howe, and most managers for that matter. Are not keen on rotating the back 4. 

But this season really highlighted the need for more depth and genuine options. Across all positions. 

If our midfield is making an average defender in Burn look terrible, it's equally as capable of making an outstanding defender in Botman look average.

Let's not forget Schars performance against Luton or Trippiers spell earlier in the season.

I've seen enough shite Newcastle sides to know that a side which is wide open can make any defence look like mugs.

When we lose the ball, we could do with not immediately have to be dealing with a 3v3 at the back.... its also coupled with the least pro active goalkeeper ever.

8 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

His passing was off for a lot of yesterday I thought. Even when it wasn’t to Bournemouth. A lot of the time it was fizzed in about waist height to someone who had a man marking them :lol: 

I know pace is an expensive commodity and perhaps it’s a lazy and obvious comparison. But whilst I think Botman is a better technician and ‘defender’. We could really do with someone like van De Ven on that side. Especially when Burn plays. That is such a slow left sided pairing. He has been noticeably and understandably sluggish since the injury. 

We really need some pace adding to the back 4 in the summer. Not sure who comes out? As Schar and Botman have been quality and Trippier is our talisman. I’m not sure we’d spend a good chunk on yet another left back, either. Plus we know Howe, and most managers for that matter. Are not keen on rotating the back 4. 

But this season really highlighted the need for more depth and genuine options. Across all positions. 

I think the problem is he’s finding his feet and lacks that yard of pace post injury in a side with absolute zero pace across the entire midfield and defence unless Tino is at left back. We are so exposed due to a lack of speed at the moment that teams are exploring that.

3 minutes ago, STM said:

If our midfield is making an average defender in Burn look terrible, it's equally as capable of making an outstanding defender in Botman look average.

Let's not forget Schars performance against Luton or Trippiers spell earlier in the season.

I've seen enough shite Newcastle sides to know that a side which is wide open can make any defence look like mugs.

When we lose the ball, we could do with not immediately have to be dealing with a 3v3 at the back.... its also coupled with the least pro active goalkeeper ever.

Spot on, the midfield is all over the place at the minute, we must be an absolute dream to place against, players literally licking their lips. One ball through or a bit of pace and a team is steaming through on the defence. 

5 minutes ago, STM said:

I was going to mention our first relegation season yesterday. That defence of Beye, Coloccini, Bassong, Enrique has 3 of the better/best players in their position we've seen in the PL era. They looked shocking that season because their protection was the likes of Smith, Butt, Geremi, Nolan, Barton, who left them exposed time and time again. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

Just now, Lush Vlad said:

Yeah. That’s fair. Although he has never been quick and it is now being even more exposed for a number of reasons. 

We only have pace in our front three, currently. 

William Galas was one of my favoured defenders in his prime, pace to burn against the very best. Tino is pretty nippy to be fair when he plays. 

Hasn't looked anywhere close what we saw last season since he came back from injury

The midfield can be an excuse but individually he's looked way out of form