Sven Botman

The Prophet

2 hours ago, NEEJ said:

Dunno if it's already been posted, but this interview he gave to The Athletic a while back is worth a read. Think there's a video with Ormstein too:

https://theathletic.com/2589236/2021/05/16/sven-botman-exclusive-europes-rising-defensive-star-on-his-premier-league-dream-toppling-psg-and-a-body-like-van-dijk?source=user-shared-article

He seems pretty honest about his deficiencies and what he needs to work on.

Cracking article that, cheers for sharing.

2 hours ago, NEEJ said:

Dunno if it's already been posted, but this interview he gave to The Athletic a while back is worth a read. Think there's a video with Ormstein too:

https://theathletic.com/2589236/2021/05/16/sven-botman-exclusive-europes-rising-defensive-star-on-his-premier-league-dream-toppling-psg-and-a-body-like-van-dijk?source=user-shared-article

He seems pretty honest about his deficiencies and what he needs to work on.

Remember listening to a snippet of it on one of their podcasts. IIRC he was just buzzing to be able to learn from VvD and playing himself down loads saying he still had loads to improve on before he was a top player.

3 hours ago, Nine said:

I think it was mainly down to our horrific injury record during that time that Nobby played RB as a needs must situation at first.

https://www.nufc.com/html/2006-07html/2007-03-18charlton-a.html The state of that team man, Duff at LB to

Edit: Against Pardews Charlton as well 

I saw that abomination of a game after braving London transport on a Sunday with a crippling hangover. Moore is Craig Moore no, a shite Aussie defender who we signed on the cheap. Had Parker started discoing in the centre of midfield by then? On paper him and Emre (racist little oik that he was) is a good pairing.

Guest neesy111
2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Moore was good during the Roeder caretaker spell.

Aye he was.

3 hours ago, TRon said:

Who the fuck were Onyewu and Moore? :lol:  (Double checked the spelling of Moore with a quick google before joeyt pounced on it). The rest were not that bad tbh.

Onyewu went onto play for AC Milan where his most notable contribution was having a fist fight with Zlatan in training :lol:

6 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

It's a good point like @Rich

Even when fully fit Matip is preferred over Gomez, where as to a thick cunt like myself pairing VVD with a quicker CB makes sense - Klopp doesn't seem to think it's a massive issue.

Allison is way ahead (alongside Pope) in his contributions outside the box as the graphs that have been out up on here show - so it's possible Howe is looking to replicate something similar.

EDIT: They're also both right footed, so although CBs playing on their natural side seems smart it's obviously not a deal breaker either.

Matip is better at protecting the right hand side when TAA goes on his attacking runs.  Pace is not that big of an issue in defenders if your goalkeeper is quick of the line to snuff out danger. Also, VAR gets offside calls correct more than often. So more than pace, the ability to stick to an offside line is more important. Counterpressing managers like Klopp, Howe don't worry about playing a high line with slower defenders thanks to VAR. 

46 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Onyewu went onto play for AC Milan where his most notable contribution was having a fist fight with Zlatan in training :lol:

So AC Milan were second best to us even back then? In ya face @Milanista  :indi:

59 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Yeah I’m excited by this one. Really think the 27 shirt is made for him too to step in the footsteps of Albert & Woodgate. 

On that note, if we get Ekitike or Diaby I want them to have the 32 shirt.

Alan Jones at Williams. Gilles Villeneuve at Ferrari. ?

1 hour ago, Scotty66 said:

Excited by this signing. 

He's faster than Burn though right? 

Interested in hearing that as well. Relative ranking of Botman, Burn, Lascelles, and Schaar? And Pope supposedly being something of a sweeper-keeper.

3 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

Interested in hearing that as well. Relative ranking of Botman, Burn, Lascelles, and Schaar? And Pope supposedly being something of a sweeper-keeper.

That’s where Pope gets the nod over Dubravka for me. Don’t need pacy defenders as such if you’ve got a proper sweeper keeper who’s quick and can read the game well.

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

That’s where Pope gets the nod over Dubravka for me. Don’t need pacy defenders as such if you’ve got a proper sweeper keeper who’s quick and can read the game well.

Yes, that’s what’s so exciting. They’re actually thinking how all the pieces fit together.