Sven Botman: set to miss 6–9 months with new ACL injury (Official)

The Prophet

Guest reefatoon
4 minutes ago, Cookie1892 said:

its more capable currently than the other two i mentioned, 

That’s not true though. If we had Schar and Fernandez in there, I would feel a lot more confident than if we kept on plodding with Shelvey and Longstaff. They don’t protect the back four or create chances, we need to rectify that as soon as possible and when we do it will help shore up defence and assist attack. It’s vitally important to upgrade now, so much more so than more centrebacks.

Can't really see what we've done wrong here that warrants any criticism or hysteria. We pursued the player as he appeared available and Lille were open to discussing a move; and if reports are to be believed they've pulled out, which is their prerogative to do so if they please. I can't see how that means we've wasted time, in pursuing one of our main targets believing, and having right to believe a deal was possible. Particularly when we have reportedly identified back up targets and are working on those too.

We're clearly doing all we can to improve our situation. Those working with the club know more than most of us, and will have identified the areas of improvement and will likely have pages upon pages of players. Let's not lose our minds here and go into delirium each time a tweet is shared. 

1 minute ago, reefatoon said:

I can’t get my head around fans thinking our midfield will be fine until the summer. Not sure what they have been witnessing.

Agree its a big problem but with Wilson out I'd have a striker as being a lot more important. 

The links seem pretty quiet outside loads of defenders so far which is a bit worrying IMO

7 minutes ago, TheHoob said:

Romano saying we're already working on two other candidates though don't think that's particularly new.  

I actually think the club have played this quite well. We've obviousky sounded out the lad to see if he's interested, stuck in in two reasonable offers and moved down the list when it has become clear Lille are messing us around.

It sends a message that we won't just pay silly prices. What we probably needed was a transfer request from the player.

Edited by The Prophet

2 minutes ago, Infinitely Content said:

Can't really see what we've done wrong here that warrants any criticism or hysteria. We pursued the player as he appeared available and Lille were open to discussing a move; and if reports are to be believed they've pulled out, which is their prerogative to do so if they please. I can't see how that means we've wasted time, in pursuing one of our main targets believing, and having right to believe a deal was possible. Particularly when we have reportedly identified back up targets and are working on those too.

We're clearly doing all we can to improve our situation. Those working with the club know more than most of us, and will have identified the areas of improvement and will likely have pages upon pages of players. Let's not lose our minds here and go into delirium each time a tweet is shared. 

100 times this.

Would've been similar levels of bed wetting if he'd signed for 40m+ and looked anything less than world class on debut anyway so at least that's avoided.

Zagadou at Dortmund another gigantic left footed CB that was tenuously linked in Germany last week so be interested to see if that one resurfaces now.

Guest reefatoon
1 minute ago, triggs said:

Agree its a big problem but with Wilson out I'd have a striker as being a lot more important. 

The links seem pretty quiet outside loads of defenders so far which is a bit worrying IMO

Totally agree with you regarding a striker. Striker and CM should be where we are pushing for the most.

5 minutes ago, Infinitely Content said:

:thup: He was our number one target, we've tried and it hasn't worked out. Unless our new owners are so rich they've invented a way to see the future I'm not sure what else they could have done, frustrating aye and far from ideal but hardly a waste of time. 

Edited by TheHoob

28 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Becoming a complete shit show. 1 signing in a 3rd of the window clearly isn't enough when you're full strength team can't even match a league one team. Fuck squad harmony in terms of wages. These cunts don't deserve what they are on anyway. Let someone come in who can actually do the job as this lot have downed tools. Parasites.

This 100%

Shame. Hope we have another target lined up.

FWIW, the owners are not completely immune from criticism. I am aware it's only the 10th January and of course they have the best interests of the club at heart but they can be criticised. It'll be very disappointing iyam if we don't have another in, especially a striker, before Saturday. Which is the biggest game of the season bar none.

11 minutes ago, Infinitely Content said:

It's weird though because according to some, doing business in January is a piece of piss and as simple as just hoying money at people. What the fuck are these amateurs doing?!

I could see us trying again towards the end of the window, especially if we can get a couple decent results from next 2 games. They're absolutely huge games not just in the grand scheme of the season, but in allowing us to convince players to sign this window.

Just now, Anderson said:

I could see us trying again towards the end of the window, especially if we can get a couple decent results from next 2 games. They're absolutely huge games not just in the grand scheme of the season, but in allowing us to convince players to sign this window.

It won't convince their club to sell them though.

17 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

I can’t get my head around fans thinking our midfield will be fine until the summer. Not sure what they have been witnessing.

Yep, madness.

Longstaff, Shelvey and Hendrick always look like they're running through treacle.

Willock has fallen off a cliff and Hayden (now injured) can cover ground well but his other attributes are poor.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

So much for Lille needing to sell to offset their financial trouble. 

They've got a good few very attractive assets to flog so they're not under pressure per say.

A bit like having a big credit card bill in January but you're due a whacking bonus from work in August.

23 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Schar And Fernandez would likely get in other PL teams, Shelvey and Longstaff definitely wouldn't. Everton offered 1m for him ffs. 

Another premier League team wants Longstaff though - they must think he is good enough to play for them?

31 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I actually think the club have played this quite well. We've obviousky sounded out the lad to see if he's interested, stuck in in two reasonable offers and moved down the list when it has become clear Lille are messing us around.

It sends a message that we won't just pay silly prices. What we probably needed was a transfer request from the player.

Agree. Dont think we have wasted time as we have been negotiating with at least 3 CBs at the same time. If we feel Lille are jacking us around, then no harm no foul. They are the ones 100 MIL in debt. They wont get this kind of money in the summer.