Sven Botman

The Prophet

32 minutes ago, Barnes23 said:

Magnificent, his reading of the game during a few nervy moments in the first half was absolutely first class. 

Yep, I said in the match thread I'd missed the first twenty minutes and we were under pressure when I started watching. Botman was absolutely immense in that period of time and was largely the reason why we were relatively untroubled.

There was a moment yesterday when he snuffed out a dangerous moment, then pinged a goal into Brunos feet. Me and my mate where like "wow". 

Our recruitment team are fucking class. Wouldn't sell him or Bruno but both must be worth 100m+ already.

He’s not slow, but if he had real pace, you’d be thinking he could be the best CB in the world right now in terms of overall attributes. Whatever we paid for him is looking like pennies right now, he’s going to be our Kompany type signing in that area of the pitch and Bruno our Silva type signing, not that I want to compare because we are a totally different takeover/development situation to City when they were taken over. More players like this please NUFC not your Robinhos et al. Back to Wor Sven, I love his switch passes, he turns back to goal, flick his head and plays a straight as dye ball to midfield on the deck or just calmly clips a lofted ball to Burn or Trippier. 

Edited by King HTT III

10 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Already up there with Woodgate for me. As composed a centre half as I’ve ever seen.

give woodgate his due though - he rarely had to make a last ditch tackle. he was that good.

14 minutes ago, huss9 said:

give woodgate his due though - he rarely had to make a last ditch tackle. he was that good.

Completely agree - tackling is usually the result of poor positioning, and Woodgate was the absolute master of positioning.  I once read about crocodiles being able to calculate optimum intercept routes between a target and its direction of travel, and Woodgate had that - he seemed to stroll to the ball, so good was his reading of the game 

30 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

I wonder if thats why he bonded so quickly with Longstaff, cos of the hockey backgrounds?

Different type of hockey though, Longstaff family are ice hockey, where as in Holland its all field hockey (its a massive sport there). 

Thought Vardy give him his toughest test on the deck since Haaland. Not sure if he was struggling a bit with his ankle as his sock was bloodied but Vardy got ahead of him and managed to get crosses in each time.

Fair play to Vardy. He’s lost a yard or two of pace yet is still quick. Absolutely rapid at his peak. Think Nunez will potentially be Botman’s hardest test if matched up against him up here. 

This lad is so underrated it’s unreal. Genuinely one of the best if not the best CB in the Premier League this season yet not many (outside of the NUFC fishbowl) are singing his praises. Only 22 as well?! Fantastic signing.

Schar and Burn have been fantastic too yet seemingly aren’t getting much love from the wider football world either.

1 hour ago, Adam said:

Different type of hockey though, Longstaff family are ice hockey, where as in Holland its all field hockey (its a massive sport there). 

Yeah it’s the norm. Most Dutch people I’ve met play it, often to a very high standard. Though plenty of whom I’ve met through playing hockey myself (sadly not to a very high standard). Bit disappointed seeing Botman wasn’t keen on it mind [emoji38]

I think the wider media really can't get it's head around how mean our defense is. It's not what Newcastle are supposed to do, therefore it can't be happening.

This many cleansheets, you'd expect to hear it remarked upon more.