Sven Botman

The Prophet

11 minutes ago, Raconteur said:

My feelings are the exact opposite - I'm certain their looking to upgrade Burn before Schar. BDB slotted in and did very well, but he's by no means a top 6-8 defender.

That's not to say an upgrade to Schar won't happen, just that I think Eddie will look to upgrade Burn first.

Tend to agree with this. I love BDB, but Schar is the better all round defender. Burn is ideal backup if we can get someone like Botman in. Means we can make a sub at CB and not worry about what a Lascelles may do on the ball. Also ideal to bring on/play if you need a bit more aerial dominance. 

2 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Tend to agree with this. I love BDB, but Schar is the better all round defender. Burn is ideal backup if we can get someone like Botman in. Means we can make a sub at CB and not worry about what a Lascelles may do on the ball. Also ideal to bring on/play if you need a bit more aerial dominance. 

Also, given BDB has played LB in the past, I imagine he'd comfortably sit on the left of a back three if Howe chooses to occasionally play that way

2 hours ago, sushimonster85 said:

This is one of those transfers I've largely stopped following. Every day its something different. He is either leaning towards Milan, or Newcastle officials are confident. I will check back in when he actually signs with someone!

Also, didn't clock on just how stacked the Dutch are at CB. 

Same here. I can't really blame him if he wants to go to Milan, anyway there are some other good options like the Badiashile fella who looks a very good prospect.

I think people are reading FAR too much into the press speculation on this, getting ideas it's clear he's hoping for Milan etc. Same goes for Ekitike to a lesser extent. 

What happens happens, but don't let yourself be affected by Italian papers who think it will reflect badly if a grand old team of theirs gets outdone by a bottom half English team.

We know he and we were keen in January. After that, it's largely chit chat and clickbait. Seems like we're not leaking like we did before Charnley went, and therefore the press are having to focus their attention on our targets from the last transfer window. We might well end up with a surprise or two this summer. 

55 minutes ago, TRon said:

Same here. I can't really blame him if he wants to go to Milan, anyway there are some other good options like the Badiashile fella who looks a very good prospect.

My answer is always the same, we can get both. The two are not mutually exclusive. 

1 hour ago, Raconteur said:

My feelings are the exact opposite - I'm certain their looking to upgrade Burn before Schar. BDB slotted in and did very well, but he's by no means a top 6-8 defender.

That's not to say an upgrade to Schar won't happen, just that I think Eddie will look to upgrade Burn first.

Yeah, I think he sees Schar & Lascelles for the right centre-back slot for a season, then Burn plus new signing for the left one. Next summer we’ll likely try to move Lascelles on and upgrade on Schar.

2 hours ago, Raconteur said:

Yeah, I guess he might well go that way. It'll be interesting to see what happens. Can't wait for everything to be tied up and to get a better idea of what the team is going to look like.

11 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

My answer is always the same, we can get both. The two are not mutually exclusive. 

Yeah that would be lovely but how likely is it to happen?

Not very. 

They won’t want to disrupt the team by bringing in too many new faces at once. 

We might get 6 new players tops but cannot see us getting two CD’s this summer as part of the 6 

1 hour ago, LV said:

Not very. 

They won’t want to disrupt the team by bringing in too many new faces at once. 

We might get 6 new players tops but cannot see us getting two CD’s this summer as part of the 6 

I doubt if it will be more than 3 and I'd be happy with that. Players take time to gel and you can't just throw in 6 new players at once

prior seasons I'd be devastated if we missed out because I knew there would be no backup plan. "Missed out on Botman early June, you say? Guess we start the season with the defense we had."

Now it's just a potential mild disappointment.

34 minutes ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

Trippier 

Burn 
Targett 
Wood 

Guimaraes 

That's five players and it seemed to go ok. We have pre-season. 

And a new manager.

We are likely replacing top Champo or bottom half PL players with top 8 players. So numbers won't be a problem. It's whether many are genuine top 4 players that's the issue.

The names suggested don't really make much sense, like @Happinesstansaid how can we be going from Botman to Ake? In January it would be understandable as we just needed bodies in, but now with the whole of Summer to get who we need I would imagine Howe will have a specific type of defender in mind, and I cannot see how that would cover big & slow / small & quick, even if they're both good on the ball.

Badiashile looks about the closest to a perfect all rounder we could get, but if not him then (looking at our squad) a faster left footed defender like Ake makes more sense.

Edited by Hanshithispantz