Sven Botman

The Prophet

Sven playing us like the piper it seems, not bothered either way if he comes, just move onto the next target. Compare him to say Targett for example who seems desperate to move here and we already know how good he is, nobody can say the same about Botman.

Edited by Geogaddi

14 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Any player who is showing any sign of being reluctant to join, should be binned from the list immediately and then move onto the next on the list 

I'm torn. On the one hand, if they're not 100% convinced then they might not be 100% committed. But you can't really blame a player for considering the option of AC Milan.

I think if we end up getting Botman then we have to trust that Howe is convinced.

Just now, Happinesstan said:

I'm torn. On the one hand, if they're not 100% convinced then they might not be 100% committed. But you can't really blame a player for considering the option of AC Milan.

I think if we end up getting Botman then we have to trust that Howe is convinced.

I don't blame the player (currently), just think we need to move straight on to the next.

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

I don't blame the player (currently), just think we need to move straight on to the next.

Oh I wasn't suggesting you were. I totally agree, just pointing out that if we're still interested then they have reason to believe it's a realistic prospect. Whatever the media say.

I suspect Ashworth might be vital in this regard. He'll have the most experience to assess whether the player is stringing us along. I might be basing that on the reports about Henderson, mind.

22 minutes ago, McCormick said:

One thing I’ve learned from this saga is how petty Milan fans are and that most of them and their journalists have a massive chip on their shoulder when it comes to the PL.

Well, I guess I’m pretty petty myself so I’d love us to sign this lad just watch their collective outrage.

Yeah, interesting that all these Italian Journalists are saying that Botman ONLY wants to join Milan and it's the new owners that will decide if they want Botman or not. 

Part of me thinks is that line is the Italians covering their backs so it doesn't look like little old Newcastle pipped the mighty AC Milan to signing Botman. 

Notice how it's only the Italian journalists that have reported Botman prefers Milan.

3 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’m pretty sure the club already know which way this is going and have the next target lined up.

You can always tell which way Botman is going because he is so slow and has the turns like a WW2 tank.

Or, he's an underrated athlete with reactions and instincts that allow him to operate at an elite level despite his lack of speed.

Depending on whether we are signing him or not.

2 hours ago, gjohnson said:

This guy is not for us. He will never be totally committed, and will be looking for the 'bigger move' unless we win something pretty much immediately. 

If he’s that good there’s no reason why we couldn’t.

Sources have indicated to Telegraph Sport that Newcastle are close to making a breakthrough in their long pursuit of Botman after weeks of negotiations with French club Lille, as well as stiff and sustained competition from AC Milan.

The fight between Newcastle and the newly crowned champions of Italy has not yet been won - and officials in Milan could yet move again to scupper the plan - but there is a growing sense of confidence within St James’ Park that the centre-back will decide to switch from France to Tyneside.

Botman is currently on international duty with the Netherlands and has been careful not to give any firm indication about where he will play his football next season. But it now seems increasingly likely the 22-year-old former Ajax Academy prospect will be a Newcastle player next season.

The deal is likely to cost around £30m, although Newcastle have been haggling over a structured deal which would see them pay around half of that up front and the rest in staggered installments. This has been a feature of Newcastle’s recruitment approach so far this summer and it has made completing deals complicated.

There is a similar sticking point in the deal to sign striker Hugo Ekitike from Reims, with sources insisting Newcastle will not be paying the £25m fee in one lump sum. Newcastle were only paying £12-15m up front in January, a deal agreed with Reims, only for the transfer to collapse on deadline day.

Newcastle had even tried to persuade the French club to let the 19-year-old join on loan for a fee of around £5m, with an obligation to buy at the end of next season. 

Reims, though, have insisted on more money up front and, although the framework of a deal is in place, negotiations over agent fees and a precise payment plan remain a “work in progress.”

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Ah man, that's the Botman deal off then.

Also, didn't the Reims president say everything was sorted fee wise? Hence we have permission to speak to the player's agents.

The whole paragraph about Ekitike is all over the place.

What Luke is actually trying to say is, "I swear the budget is only 60m, honest!".