Sven Botman: set to miss 6–9 months with new ACL injury (Official)

The Prophet

4 minutes ago, Toon No9 said:

If Botman doesn't want to be here, move on to the next on the list. We need players that wants to be here and play for THIS club.

If he wanted to come here he would've already signed.

But the media have said it’s Lille asking for more cash- hardly Botman’s fault? 

5 minutes ago, Manxst said:

But the media have said it’s Lille asking for more cash- hardly Botman’s fault? 

The media have said a lot of things. We were offering £55m according to them 

11 minutes ago, gdm said:

The media have said a lot of things. We were offering £55m according to them 

I know. But we hardly know it’s Botmans fault he hasn’t signed yet! 

Guest reefatoon

Have to say, the only times I hear the word sportswashing is on here by a small handful of people, who seem to bring it up at every opportunity. It never crops up in any conversations outside this forum for me. 

We don't know what the situation is. Everybody is guessing.

If I was to take a guess, I would say that much of the lack of noise is because Botman (and Ekitike) have still been playing.

This is the week when I'd expect things to spice up a bit.

Edited by STM

54 minutes ago, Toon No9 said:

If Botman doesn't want to be here, move on to the next on the list. We need players that wants to be here and play for THIS club.

Agree

55 minutes ago, Toon No9 said:

Disagree. It is possible to want to play here, and at the same time wait to see what other options are open.

58 minutes ago, Toon No9 said:

By that logic, if he wanted to move to Milan, he'd have already signed for them.

1 hour ago, Toon No9 said:

Do people actually believe this cr4p when they write it. This last sentence is ridiculous. 

3 minutes ago, Teasy said:

Not sure what the point of thread titles even is anymore.  Any news about Botman at all?

We're in talks. Different outlets are claiming the deal is at different stages though. 

In short, no.

3 hours ago, r0cafella said:

Guys, we literally have a thread for sports washing can we keep this one on topic and move this talk to the relevant thread?

No! appearently you can't do that? Or is it only because it is about Saudi Arabia? :)

I found this article about how transfer news gets reported, I thought it was an interesting read: https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/truth-behind-transfer-window-rumour-mill-those-know

Reports in Italy are that Botman prefers Milan over Newcastle and that Maldini is telling Botman to stay patient.

Another element is that Elliott, the hedge fund who owns Milan (sold it to Redbird, another hedge fund, who won't finalize their ownership stake until September) they seem to either own a piece of Lille or they are the financiers behind the hedge fund that owns a big portion of Lille (if not the outright majority) and the board battle over which bid to the crux.

So, the way I look at it is this: Lille's ownership is beholden/indebted/intertwined with the ownership of Milan, Botman has been charmed by Maldini, but Milan are not going to go past a certain amount, and it seems that Newcastle are not going past their number, either. The faction at Lille that want to maximize profit are trying to drive the price up, which was why there were some random links to Man Utd and Spurs, and even PSG (attempts to drive up the price) but Newcastle isn't biting--which might be undercutting their position that Lille should hold out. The other faction, wants to sell to Milan to get their double-deal with Renato Sanches done, so that Lille can record that money on this year's books rather than next year's.

So it seems like there is a complex game of chicken, everyone is looking to see who will blink first.

3 minutes ago, Milanista said:

I found this article about how transfer news gets reported, I thought it was an interesting read: https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/truth-behind-transfer-window-rumour-mill-those-know

Reports in Italy are that Botman prefers Milan over Newcastle and that Maldini is telling Botman to stay patient.

Another element is that Elliott, the hedge fund who owns Milan (sold it to Redbird, another hedge fund, who won't finalize their ownership stake until September) they seem to either own a piece of Lille or they are the financiers behind the hedge fund that owns a big portion of Lille (if not the outright majority) and the board battle over which bid to the crux.

So, the way I look at it is this: Lille's ownership is beholden/indebted/intertwined with the ownership of Milan, Botman has been charmed by Maldini, but Milan are not going to go past a certain amount, and it seems that Newcastle are not going past their number, either. The faction at Lille that want to maximize profit are trying to drive the price up, which was why there were some random links to Man Utd and Spurs, and even PSG (attempts to drive up the price) but Newcastle isn't biting--which might be undercutting their position that Lille should hold out. The other faction, wants to sell to Milan to get their double-deal with Renato Sanches done, so that Lille can record that money on this year's books rather than next year's.

So it seems like there is a complex game of chicken, everyone is looking to see who will blink first.

Any truth in Milan having a sell on fee for Paqueta hence why we might be delaying that deal so as not finance Milan’s deal for Botman?

11 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

We should be prepared to pay a small premium if he's the right player. 5m more than whatever the next team is offering.

Seems like we are doing this. It really just comes down to how badly Botman wants to be at Milan. I'm sure he'd go there all things equal, but he seems quite happy to come to Newcastle as well. If it drags on much longer with Milan, I think he'll choose us in the not too distant future.

8 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Any truth in Milan having a sell on fee for Paqueta hence why we might be delaying that deal so as not finance Milan’s deal for Botman?

Yeah, we have a sell-on fee for Paqueta. The percentage is reported at 15% because we bought him for around 38m (some reports have it even higher) and then sold him for 20m to Lyon, which is a pretty hefty loss after a year and a half.

I've never read anything about there being a link between Paqueta's sale and Botman's, Milan don't need money from other transactions to buy or sell. There are many Italians fans (and foreign fans) who vastly underestimate Milan's current economic power, Milan's management does not buy into the "pay a few million more" philosophy. They offer or they walk away.

Milan don't really think in terms of transfer fees, because in accounting terms, the amortization of the fee, combined with the player's salary, that is how it appears on their books--and that is their primary concern, they don't worry about the money from this player coming in so they can use it to buy that player. Furthermore, Milan is set to release some huge earners, while Ibrahimovic is going to cut his salary dramatically (he was our highest earner after-tax, but not before tax) which combined with the new FFP laws, means that your spending is linked less to incoming and outgoing revenues (and your profit margin therein) but more in the ratio between your revenue and the percent of that revenue that you spend, so with various different situations you can spend between 70 and 90% of your total revenue.

I'm sorry to get boring, but this is how the new FFP rules are structured. These rules greatly favor Milan, as well as EPL and La Liga teams that have managed their wage structure accordingly. It is really bad for Barca, Inter, Juve, Chelsea, though, because you can't just sell a bunch of young players to make things go away.

I'm really sorry to have talked about a bunch of other things, but they are all related to how Newcastle or Milan will value Botman, look at Paqueta, and how they see transfer fees, salaries, and I hope it will help you dismiss a lot of the crap that is put out by journalists who seem to use FIFA logic to explain transfers, when transfers (and the numbers involved in them) are more linked to accounting, legal, and tax considerations than in horse-trading between clubs' transfer budgets.

7 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Scott Wilson still claiming the framework of a £30 million pound deal is agreed with Lille.

Either him or Luke need a new source.

If I had a pound for every time I read that I’d have £30m

7 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

You have nothing to back up what you're saying aside from your own gut feeling on it. Meanwhile sportswashing has been going on and explicitly admitted to by the people doing it for years.

Its effectiveness and whether it actually has a Streisand effect is another matter, but saying sportswashing doesn't exist or that the Saudis aren't attempting it is just blind.

It’s pointless trying to argue about sportswashing with somebody whose been sportswashed.

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

It’s pointless trying to argue about sportswashing with somebody whose been sportswashed.

If you’re referring to me, how have I or am I sportswashed?