Sven Botman set to miss 6–9 months with new ACL injury (Official)

The Prophet

4 minutes ago, Milanista said:

You guys have all been so nice to me, and have flattered my club, to which I thank you all for being so hospitable.

I don't think the size of the club is what makes Milan appealing right now though, it's that we have a proven track record of promoting young players, developing them, and trusting them if they stumble.

Maldini makes direct pitches to players. He was the one who personally recruited Theo Hernandez to come to Milan, telling him that he believed Theo could become the best LB in the world.

This is what Maldini said to Kalulu, our CB wonderboy, who had yet to make a single professional appearance: "For the first six months I want you to watch and learn. You’re in the country where defending is king. Memorise all you can. Sooner or later, your chance will come."

Maldini is obviously going to have some pull with defenders, as these kids, who probably never watched Maldini play, all admire him. Milan fans are widely of the belief that Maldini is like Billy Beane (from the movie Moneyball) and is a shadow coach for our defenders. Now, that doesn't seem to actually be the case, and Pioli (our manager) seems to be the real deal, but that's the perception of Maldini and that has to play into Botman's choice.

I think Newcastle is still in the early stages of your build, but I think you guys need need need to have Shearer as part of your executive team. The fact that Roma didn't keep Totti around is absolute insanity to me. There is a huge value to having players be part of your recruitment. There are players who are going to go for money, and they should, they are playing a game where their careers can end in an instant. But, I also think with the massive competition for players, you need to be selling more than "hey, we're a big club, we will pay you good money, come here." The sorts of personalities that you're going for are strong ones.

Paqueta did not shy away from go against our former manager when he insulted Brazil. Paqueta has backbone. You want players who think more than one step ahead, and there's no doubt that Maldini is crucial to our recruitment. He sold Tomori on leaving Chelsea, when right now, he'd be their starting CB, without question. Tomori has learned Italian and has impressed Italy with how fast it took him to give an interview in Italian. They love him here.

So, for me, Shearer has to be there. Our players have talked about how getting a call from Maldini makes things really different. Shearer can be that for you, and why he isn't, I'm unsure, but, I think that selling players onto the goal, the framework, that you're playing for a club, not just some sports franchise, is what makes the difference. Newcastle represents more than just the stripes on the shirt, St. James is more than a stadium, the fans are people who will fight for you as long as you fight for them, even if you lose. It's an easy sell. It's easier when it's Shearer, and for us, we have Maldini and Baresi making those pitches. That's the difference, I think.

Keegan sold the club very well, he had charisma in buckets and passion which he could infuse into a potential target, not sure Shearer the man, not the name could do that. How is Shearer perceived in Italy? 

5 minutes ago, NWMag said:

It’s a great point on Shearer, would be interesting to know if the owners have considered this.

Shearer would have to want to do it. I’m not sure if he does given his media career. 

Guest HTT II
6 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

Keegan sold the club very well, he had charisma in buckets and passion which he could infuse into a potential target, not sure Shearer the man, not the name could do that. How is Shearer perceived in Italy? 

Maldini himself during the build up to Euro ‘96 said he’s arguably the most rounded and toughest striker in the world because all he thinks about is getting to the ball first to score a goal. I’m paraphrasing, but he also said along the lines of he will kill you in the box getting a foot to a strike or a head.

Edited by HTT II

4 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

Keegan might be the bigger name among the older generations because of his time with Hamburg, but Shearer is widely respected. Italians love players who play for their favorite/hometown club, I mean, who doesn't?

The points about Shearer not being up for the job and his media career makes sense, it's a shame, because I think you need someone with name recognition to sell the club to new players.

You guys are 6 months in, it's going to take time to build up the reputation, but having big names helps. If it's not Shearer, having someone who can be part of that process, even if they aren't a Newcastle legend would be huge.

Yeah it’s quite bad that Keegan and Shearer aside, there’s no one associated with the club primarily could be considered for such a role. You have native countrymen, eg for a young Peruvian Solano would have a word, Asprilla for a Colombian, Coloccini or Jonas for an Argentinian, Ba or Cisse for Senegal but there’s no one on that world class level that I can think of that is NUFC through and through that would genuinely represent prospects in the same way as Maldini does for Milan. Means that Shearer absolutely should be approached for the next few years at least, side by side with his media role. 

Nice gig for Fonseca. Lille have some talents he can work with. I'll be rooting for him. Appreciated the enthusiasm he showed for the Newcastle gig last year.

Edited by KaKa

1 hour ago, HTT II said:

Just shows you how society has changed, back in the day this wouldn’t have happened with my long posts, people read the shit out of them and I’m told a lot of them were printed off and ended up on the book shelves (before they become famous as Zoom backdrops during covid) of coffee shops all over the world for people to read while enjoying their lattes, even Mexico!

HTT.gif

Edited by hakka

44 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Nice gig for Fonseca. Lille have some talents he can work with. I'll be rooting for him. Appreciated the enthusiasm he showed for the Newcastle gig last year.

Same here. He made some decent comments about us recently too, could’ve easily been bitter. 

7 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Sounds like we’ve made last ditch attempts to hijack Aguerd’s move to WH (if true).  A bit late if that was the plan instead of Botman. If.

I'm confident we have professionals in charge these days that know what they are doing 

3 hours ago, HTT II said:

I’m loving our AC Milan fans here in peace, again when I was a kid, Serie A was great and opened my eyes up to European football and footballers not from here. My weekends were full of Serie A and motorsport, then MOTD. 

Guest HTT II
6 minutes ago, Mountain said:

My fave footy show ever and I had it as my ring tone years ago! As a kid I thought they called it that after Gazza [emoji38]

16 minutes ago, HTT II said:

My fave footy show ever and I had it as my ring tone years ago! As a kid I thought they called it that after Gazza [emoji38]

I always thought it was goalll lazio as well

Brought back some memories that as a kid ha. Italian football was the king then. Loved it

Edited by jack j

3 minutes ago, jack j said:

Brought back some memories that as a kid ha. Italian football was the king then. Loved it

I remember James Richardson saying that ‘Golaco’ was used because it sounded like ‘gol Lazio’ or ‘go Lazio’, because loads would have been watching just to see Gazza play for Lazio

Guest HTT II
5 minutes ago, jack j said:

Ha ha same here, again because Gazza played for them. 

27 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I think they were aware of that and it was a happy coincidence as Gazza was on most of those shows in a feature, interview, or introducing stuff and his transfer there was the main reason behind C4 getting the rights after initially just wanting to show his debut.

11 minutes ago, jack j said:

Yeah, totally did too.

The graphics on the 94/95 titles says 'accio' which apparently was also misleading.

Absolutely lush show.

Edited by Wolfcastle

I remember thinking how eloquent the Italian footballers were compared to our lot.  Out the English players to shame. They always spoke so well with a really nice turn of phrase. Turns out that was just the translation. Was watching with a girl from Bari I used to knock about with and she thought it was hysterical because she said it reality, the Italian players had terrible vocabulary and could barely string a sentence together. I guess it was another of James Richardson’s little jokes. Kudos!