Sven Botman: set to miss 6–9 months with new ACL injury (Official)

The Prophet

We shouldn't be wasting time on players like this that need convincing and focus on the ones that want in on the ground floor of something big. Yes Milan might be more appealing at present but in a couple of years when we're near the top and Milan are struggling to get near Europe players like him will be begging to join.

Aye, pretty tired of this one.

If the clubs have agreed fees, then his agent and Botman are the only ones to blame. If he isn´t interested I would move on rapidly, why go after someone if they don´t believe in the project.

I can assume we are still following this up because we will not have heard the contrary directly from either of them. Italian press are deviants so we shouldn´t pay them much heed.

5 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

We shouldn't be wasting time on players like this that need convincing and focus on the ones that want in on the ground floor of something big. Yes Milan might be more appealing at present but in a couple of years when we're near the top and Milan are struggling to get near Europe players like him will be begging to join.

We haven't even agreed a fee with his club yet, so we don't know if he needs convincing. He sounded as though he was pretty keen in February though.

We’ve likely agreed terms with him already as that is usually the case. He’s obviously got some interest from Milan and Lille seem to be banking on them making a bid. Seems a dangerous game as if we walk away they will probably end up having to accept a good deal less.

From what we have seen of our ownership, Howe and Ashworth, they aren't the sort to hang onto a deal unless they thought there was a solid chance of it happening.

I just don't buy the "Botman doesn't want to sign for us" stuff. He was outrageously flirting with us in January. That doesn't mean to say that he's not really interested in Milan.

I genuinely believe there is alot of over thinking, guesswork and false reporting going on.

I suspect neither us nor Milan have agreed a deal with Lille, but that we are far closer in our evaluation. I also think that there is no "hold up", just that transfer hasn't happened yet. After all, doesn't that mean there is a hold up in all of our negotiations that are going on with clubs at the moment (and there will be lots)?

Remember when we sign Bruno and it was reported that we had agreed a deal but in actual fact we had only agreed the outline. I don't even think we are at this stage yet, it's just that in Botmans case, everyone knows of our interest.

In short, it's no different to any other transfer, except this one is being played out in public. Should Newcastle have turned away from Shearer because he house hunted in Manchester and had conversations with Fergie?

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

We will hopefully moving forward be able to do the majority of our deals without the media picking up on it.

Genuinely think we will pull someone of real quality out of the bag under the radar.

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

We will hopefully moving forward be able to do the majority of our deals without the media picking up on it.

Fingers crossed.

I think it's unfortunate that both this and the Ekitike interest are public knowledge from January.

The leaks seem to have dried up, particularly since Ashworth arrived

So what I'm sure will be standard negotiating is being dramatised to keep the NUFC clicks rolling in.

I’d take it all with a heavy pinch of salt. It would be different if he had already talked to Howe/Ashworth/the club and  was reluctant but (1) I doubt he has and (2) I doubt he will adamantly make a decision without doing so. 

Remember reading that most international transfers won’t happen until first week of July. Let’s see (how fast he is…) after that. 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

The narrative from Italy is that Botman is in total agreement with Maldini and that Lille want Milan to match Newcastle's offer, which Milan refuse to do, banking on the desire of the player to be patient. Milan are waiting for Newcastle to lose their patience and move on, leaving Milan's bid the only one Botman will agree to. To be fair, Newcastle could be doing the same, they could simply be waiting for Milan to move on, but the narrative in Italy is that Milan is waiting out Newcastle.

Reports from France have now listed Botman as a target for PSG if they (PSG) do not buy Skriniar from Inter. I personally think this is evidence of Lille trying to manufacture urgency in the Newcastle and Milan camps.

I will say, again, the fact that Newcastle are going after Ekitike and Botman means that you are being run by competent people. With reports over Cucurella's transfer fee to City coming out, an absurd figure for an above-average wingback, buying from other EPL teams is a waste of money.

Milan, even before Maldini (in fact, especially before Maldini) when we had a man named Galliani in charge (he built Milan under Berlusconi) he was famous for waiting until August to buy players. This was called the "Galliani zone" and "vulture zone" as Galliani had a knack for getting players at the end of the window at insane discounts. For example, Galliani got Ibrahimovic from Barca for 24m the year after Barca paid 70m and Etoo for him. Maldini has done this before, and while last summer it did not work (we needed a RW and the player Milan wanted actually stopped going to training to force the move, which Maldini did not approve of, and dropped the deal out of respect to the other club) the point is: Maldini waited until the last weeks of the transfer window to go after our biggest problem area--it is a hallmark of Milan. Maldini is banking on patience because Botman is an unappreciated asset.

For example: Chelsea need CBs. Are they linked with Botman? No. Because Chelsea are run like many other EPL teams, where name recognition seems to be key for management teams, when it should be limited to fans. The only reason Botman is linked with PSG is because Campos has taken charge of PSG and he put together that Lille team, and Botman was one of his gems. But PSG is still PSG, so they want the flashy (and overrated) Skriniar from Inter; I also think that Lille are planting these stories to entice Newcastle and Milan to bid more.

The reason why Botman is a good buy for Newcastle is because Lille have had a terrible season, so their players are not coming off winning Ligue 1, they didn't even qualify for Europe, so the pursuit of Botman, again, underlines that Newcastle is being run properly. The more I've learned of Howe's tactics the more I see why you would go after Paqueta, he would work really well in Howe's system. Paqueta is a more flashy purchase, yes, but he makes sense for what your team is actually doing.

Sorry for the unnecessarily long post reiterating the same things.

Guest HTT II
5 minutes ago, Milanista said:

The narrative from Italy is that Botman is in total agreement with Maldini and that Lille want Milan to match Newcastle's offer, which Milan refuse to do, banking on the desire of the player to be patient. Milan are waiting for Newcastle to lose their patience and move on, leaving Milan's bid the only one Botman will agree to. To be fair, Newcastle could be doing the same, they could simply be waiting for Milan to move on, but the narrative in Italy is that Milan is waiting out Newcastle.

Reports from France have now listed Botman as a target for PSG if they (PSG) do not buy Skriniar from Inter. I personally think this is evidence of Lille trying to manufacture urgency in the Newcastle and Milan camps.

I will say, again, the fact that Newcastle are going after Ekitike and Botman means that you are being run by competent people. With reports over Cucurella's transfer fee to City coming out, an absurd figure for an above-average wingback, buying from other EPL teams is a waste of money.

Milan, even before Maldini (in fact, especially before Maldini) when we had a man named Galliani in charge (he built Milan under Berlusconi) he was famous for waiting until August to buy players. This was called the "Galliani zone" and "vulture zone" as Galliani had a knack for getting players at the end of the window at insane discounts. For example, Galliani got Ibrahimovic from Barca for 24m the year after Barca paid 70m and Etoo for him. Maldini has done this before, and while last summer it did not work (we needed a RW and the player Milan wanted actually stopped going to training to force the move, which Maldini did not approve of, and dropped the deal out of respect to the other club) the point is: Maldini waited until the last weeks of the transfer window to go after our biggest problem area--it is a hallmark of Milan. Maldini is banking on patience because Botman is an unappreciated asset.

For example: Chelsea need CBs. Are they linked with Botman? No. Because Chelsea are run like many other EPL teams, where name recognition seems to be key for management teams, when it should be limited to fans. The only reason Botman is linked with PSG is because Campos has taken charge of PSG and he put together that Lille team, and Botman was one of his gems. But PSG is still PSG, so they want the flashy (and overrated) Skriniar from Inter; I also think that Lille are planting these stories to entice Newcastle and Milan to bid more.

The reason why Botman is a good buy for Newcastle is because Lille have had a terrible season, so their players are not coming off winning Ligue 1, they didn't even qualify for Europe, so the pursuit of Botman, again, underlines that Newcastle is being run properly. The more I've learned of Howe's tactics the more I see why you would go after Paqueta, he would work really well in Howe's system. Paqueta is a more flashy purchase, yes, but he makes sense for what your team is actually doing.

Sorry for the unnecessarily long post reiterating the same things.

Nowt wrong with long posts…

Guest HTT II

Howay man we have a rival fan on here of a historic club given great insight and analysis, it’s much better than some of that Mexican and Friday 3.00pm shite that gets trotted out on here…

Edited by HTT II

1 minute ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

They are if they're shit. Why would I be arsed about how much they spent on Ibrahimovic?

Because it’s an example used to back up the point he was making about Milan’s transfer strategy? It’s hardly as though he made a one sentence post about Ibrahimovic ffs