Newcastle United 0 - 1 Cambridge United (08/01/2022)

Yorkie

Shite result. Their keeper played a blinder but you've got to score at home against a bottom half League 1 club. We conceded a pretty shit goal too, from us and possibly the officials too.

Some blame to Howe, because I couldn't see who was playing up the middle after we went behind. It wasn't ASM. There was no focus to our play.

It's next week that matters. We're lucky in that we have not been cast adrift with our meagre points total, but I can't say I have any confidence after watching that today.

Just now, SweMag said:

[emoji38]

Calm down.

This game was never important. Our focus is now on the league.

We should’ve scored 2-3 goals but their goalkeeper took everything. However, with a proper striker we would have scored.

Lets get some new players in and prepare for the Watford game.

Exactly.

The same people who are saying it’s the end of the world will be be saying the opposite after we beat Watford.

Their keeper has had a blinder. But I do think it was a bit over-hyped. 2-3 world class saves and a load of routine ones, due to shit finishing. It was hardly like we had them under endless pressure or had loads of clear cut chances, where we have carved them open. 

Too many of our players are finished here. If we don’t get 4-5 in like is reported this month. Going down and a proper rebuild wouldn’t hurt.

Dubravka just keeps making errors.

Ritchie, Longtstaff, Krafth are clearly not good enough.

Almiron and Fraser work hard with limited end product.

More worryingly, players that have ability and performed well at the club just seem totally uninterested. ASM and Willock were an absolute disgrace today, I thought. 

If an attacker was standing on the goal line (in an offside position) and the defending team passed back to the keeper and he intercepted and scored would it be offside?

Edited by Numbers

Guest neesy111
1 minute ago, nufc123 said:

Doesn't matter. 

Are you making a judgement of this decision, despite not watching the game?

:lol: :lol:

20 minutes ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

Hard to begrudge Cambridge, must be class for their fans. 

we’re in big trouble if we don’t get some serious players coming in. 

I think Sunderland's beat them like 3 times on the spin now, not good 

Re the offside. I take it he wasn’t interfering with play when the ball was played. The deflection then played him onside. 

But who gives a fuck?  We were outplayed and out muscled in the second half. 

Congratulations to Cambridge. On balance they did us fair and square 

3 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Exactly.

The same people who are saying it’s the end of the world will be be saying the opposite after we beat Watford.

;D

1 minute ago, Numbers said:

Players don't leave negotiations to join a club because they've had a shit game.

Essentially this. 

Last thing we need this season is a cup run. Even with a bunch of new quality signings we aren't winning the FA cup and a deep run would probably be detriment to league games. I'm sure that was the plan lol

I doubt it changes any of those deep in discussion, if anything it gives them the impression they are guaranteed to be a difference maker and get starting minutes. People that are coming are coming for the long term project not short term. It is just a terrible look and bad press for everyone, which isn't welcome.

OK I am out of straws to clutch, I'm leaving.

Guest reefatoon
5 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

I know the Cambride plyer was offiside and Shelvey touches the ball. Onside. Easy rule.

When did they change the rule to this like? It travelled a fair bit before it caught Shelvey, that doesn’t cancel out the offside. 

Edited by reefatoon

Guest reefatoon
1 minute ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

Can't get relegated from the FA Cup. 

Less games is probably a good thing when all is said and done. 

Aye, I was glad it didn’t go into extra time.

1 minute ago, reefatoon said:

When did they change the rule to this like? It travelled a fair bit before it caught Shelvey, that doesn’t cancel out the offside. 

The rule was there last season i think.