Newcastle United 0 - 1 Cambridge United (08/01/2022)

Yorkie

6 minutes ago, Thiago said:

Isaac Hayden gave you an insight into the mentality. There are a good number of this squad that won't go easily and know their time is limited here. 

He’s a great guy though, so don’t criticise him.

1 minute ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Mad that we went from the Man U performance to this. I know we're a team better suited to the counter and all that but it is staggering to watch Premier League footballers fuck up the absolute basics against League Two opposition.

Amazing for Cambridge, like. Sure they'll have an amazing night in town.

I think at the minute we are actually probably better off playing against teams that are more capable going forward and who are trying to play football, as it affords us a bit more space to try and play the way Howe wants, particularly on the counter.

Against teams that are actually looking to sit back and close up shop a bit more we have no chance with the current lot. They do not have the patience, smarts or subtlety to work the ball around to find openings. They are so so awful at that.

12 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

I definitely subscribe the the view that there’ll be some of them realising the game’s up and they’ll be out the door to a club who’ll pay them a fraction of what we do.

However, if that’s the case we need to be actively touting them out rather than waiting for bids - and when one comes in, not think of making money back and just accept it.

Basically what I do in Fifa, just accept any old bid for 99% of the Newcastle team as I rebuild :lol:

3 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I think at the minute we are actually probably better off playing against teams that are more capable going forward and who are trying to play football, as it affords us a bit more space to try and play the way Howe wants, particularly on the counter.

Against teams that are actually looking to sit back and close up shop a bit more we have no chance with the current lot. They do not have the patience, smarts or subtlety to work the ball around to find openings. They are so so awful at that.

It's because none of them like running off the ball, has been a feature of our play for years now, and quite clearly some of them are just incapable of it. Give the ball to Maximin then stand back and see if he does anything with it. That's about as intricate as it gets with this lot. 

Typical Newcastle United, just as our hopes are raised with the ambitious signing of Trippier we put in a terrible performance and will rightly be laughed at as yet another humiliating cup exit comes our way.

The only positive from today can only be the owners as well as Howe must now see the urgency to sign a quality forward or relegation is a nailed on certainty. 

Just now, ManDoon said:

In retrospect I wonder if just throwing it and playing young lads, would have been the the best play 

I can see why Howe opted against that, as he is trying to create a culture of trying to win every game, but in hindsight using some youngsters instead of some of these lot probably would have been the right move.

Think today will be another lesson for the staff, in really grasping how desperately poor most of these lot are. They really cannot be relied on or trusted outside outside of emergency situations.

Guest HTT II

Good luck to them, they were brilliant, so were their fans and I like their shithousery, we on the other hand are a meak set of bastards. Beaten off a league 1 side [emoji38]

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I can see why Howe opted against that, as he is trying to create a culture of trying to win every game, but in hindsight using some youngsters instead of some of these lot probably would have been the right move.

Think today will be another lesson for the staff, in really grasping how desperately poor most of these lot are. They really cannot be relied on or trusted outside outside of emergency situations.

Playing our young uns would have at least gave us a valid excuse :lol:

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

It's because none of them like running off the ball, has been a feature of our play for years now, and quite clearly some of them are just incapable of it. Give the ball to Maximin then stand back and see if he does anything with it. That's about as intricate as it gets with this lot. 

Yeah, absolutely. It was so lazy and pathetic.

Pile into the box together to "defend" and then punt it to St. Maximin on the odd occasion we get the ball, and hope he does something.

Genuinely shocked at how poor we were today, first game in ages an we look a shadow of the last Pardew side I saw last. Lots of comments to make after all of that but I think the overarching theme for me today was fear. They're all absolutely petrified to have and pass the ball. They're frightened of taking any chances or leaving their own little comfort zone - imagine 11 Colbacks and you're not far away. Dozens of times we managed to work a bit of space and there's no-one in the box, not 1 of the CM breaking to get on the end of a cross, hanging back because they're too scared to miss a chance. Cowardly fuckers.

Which brings me on to Shelvey. This fucker is stealing a living. Happy to play 10 yards in front of the CBs, receive the ball under no pressure and make a short 10 yard pass square of ping it 60 yards on a diagonal. That's pretty much all he can do or at least it's all he chooses to do. Offers no protection, no movement forward, can't tackle and cant'/won't get about the pitch. Longstaff doesn't even offer the ability to ping a pass, he's just there and you don't notice him. Like a vase on a shelf, it's just there. 

Lack of movement is also crippling us, just standing static and waiting/expecting the ball despite being marked, it's fucking infuriating to watch. Can't recall a single header won from crosses and corners, there was a Cambridge head on it every fucking time in the first 80 mins. 

ASM is also now playing for Instagram. He's not a Newcastle player he's doing it by himself for himself. His decision making is abysmal and he constantly refused the dangerous pass to a teammate because he wanted to beat his man. Again. Then again. Then he lost the ball. He's no se to us when he's like this and needs a boot up his hoop.

At 3pm I was pretty confident of staying up, 2 hours later I'm thinking we probably deserve to go down, we're just not good enough in every position. Rancid, shit performance (Trippier aside, he looked good imo), waste of an afternoon. 

1 minute ago, midds said:

Genuinely shocked at how poor we were today, first game in ages an we look a shadow of the last Pardew side I saw last. Lots of comments to make after all of that but I think the overarching theme for me today was fear. They're all absolutely petrified to have and pass the ball. They're frightened of taking any chances or leaving their own little comfort zone - imagine 11 Colbacks and you're not far away. Dozens of times we managed to work a bit of space and there's no-one in the box, not 1 of the CM breaking to get on the end of a cross, hanging back because they're too scared to miss a chance. Cowardly fuckers.

Which brings me on to Shelvey. This fucker is stealing a living. Happy to play 10 yards in front of the CBs, receive the ball under no pressure and make a short 10 yard pass square of ping it 60 yards on a diagonal. That's pretty much all he can do or at least it's all he chooses to do. Offers no protection, no movement forward, can't tackle and cant'/won't get about the pitch. Longstaff doesn't even offer the ability to ping a pass, he's just there and you don't notice him. Like a vase on a shelf, it's just there. 

Lack of movement is also crippling us, just standing static and waiting/expecting the ball despite being marked, it's fucking infuriating to watch. Can't recall a single header won from crosses and corners, there was a Cambridge head on it every fucking time in the first 80 mins. 

ASM is also now playing for Instagram. He's not a Newcastle player he's doing it by himself for himself. His decision making is abysmal and he constantly refused the dangerous pass to a teammate because he wanted to beat his man. Again. Then again. Then he lost the ball. He's no se to us when he's like this and needs a boot up his hoop.

At 3pm I was pretty confident of staying up, 2 hours later I'm thinking we probably deserve to go down, we're just not good enough in every position. Rancid, shit performance (Trippier aside, he looked good imo), waste of an afternoon. 

:clap:A great analysis. 

11 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

He’s a great guy though, so don’t criticise him.

He is a good lad though. He's been a solid servant that asked to leave and was forced to stay. 

The lad has been honest and we'd be mad to think some of the cunts in that dressing room aren't looking at this as the last few stops of the gravy train. I don't think he'll be like that, but you have to remember from the moment the takeover happened we've been discussing replacements and how great it will be to fuck them off :lol: 

That also means when they take to the field they're not going to give 100% and that's before we discuss which of the group are actually just shit professional footballers.

Just now, midds said:

I've been preaching this for so long, yet people seem to big him up. I have no idea why or how. I get that his 1/10 hollywood passes can create chances, but honestly. is that worth keeping him in the midfield when he has no work ethic, no pace, no tackling ability, terrible marking, terrible interception and his reluctance to move with or without the ball.

1 minute ago, Thiago said:

He is a good lad though. He's been a solid servant that asked to leave and was forced to stay. 

The lad has been honest and we'd be mad to think some of the cunts in that dressing room aren't looking at this as the last few stops of the gravy train. I don't think he'll be like that, but you have to remember from the moment the takeover happened we've been discussing replacements and how great it will be to fuck them off :lol: 

That also means when they take to the field they're not going to give 100% and that's before we discuss which of the group are actually just shit professional footballers.

They weren't any better when they used to give 100%. 

Be positive, that result won’t put players off coming, rather lose today than next week.

Hopefully Trippier gives an honest opinion of the players in a private conversation with How’s and that the owners get the players we need. Complete lack of creativity, movement and crucially no front man.

Forget any other position, we need a goal scorer and focal point. 

Clearly we need more but we couldn’t break down an organised Div 1 side. Without goals we ain’t going  to win games.

This has to be the nadir, time to go into overdrive.

2 minutes ago, worthy said:

I've been preaching this for so long, yet people seem to big him up. I have no idea why or how. I get that his 1/10 hollywood passes can create chances, but honestly. is that worth keeping him in the midfield when he has no work ethic, no pace, no tackling ability, terrible marking, terrible interception and his reluctance to move with or without the ball.

Shelvey is a waste of a clean shirt, yes he can drop a sandwich on the lip now and then but hes got the turning circle and speed of the Evergreen. For the most part the game passes him by.

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

What was the opinion on the penalty incident with Ritchie in the first half?

Looked to me like we got away with one but guessing if VAR looked at it it wasn't an obvious error

I thought it was a pen and a red personally