Newcastle United 0 - 1 Cambridge United (08/01/2022)

Yorkie

Have to say, that was fucking embarrassing today. Given the side we had out, that's up there with Hereford and Stevenage. That it was at a full SJP is even worse. There's no excuses for it, it doesn't matter where we are in the league, what we think of the cup, to lose so timidly to a side who are 4 points off of the relegation zone in League One at home is frankly humiliating. 

Howe and the players, as much as I like the former and like some of the latter, were tbh disgusting in that second half. And indictment on this squad perhaps but there's just no way of excusing exiting to cup at home to Cambridge United. None whatsoever. Much major work needed to that squad, its untrue.

Just got back. Predictable loss to lower league opposition as has become standard in the cup for us now. Somewhat expected it. This team are finished, scared to shoot and can’t impose themselves on League One opposition. The whole team is just woeful, Longstaff set the standard at the start when he just played one of them through on goal. Not a fucking clue what he was trying to do. Willock is absolutely shit as well, Arsenal have had our pants down with him. Does absolutely nothing. ASM frustrating yet again, the bloke just seems incapable of passing the fucking ball. 

6 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Good post, but I do think it’s not as simple as who has the mentality and who hasn’t. We’ve got a lot of players on our books who do give it their all but are unfortunately just fucking abject. 

I bet to differ. Many of these have been phoning it in, since Rafa left. Unprofessional.

Just seen the goal, I think it was correct to stand it’s a shit rule but is correct I believe, the offside players don’t become active until the ball reaches them or is at least near them once Shelvey touches it doesn’t matter there is no offside. It happened a couple of years ago when Lovren touched the ball before Kane won a penalty.

The Mings change of rule is just if a player comes back to tackle u from an offside position.
Anyway terrible result and performance 

8 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Good post, but I do think it’s not as simple as who has the mentality and who hasn’t. We’ve got a lot of players on our books who do give it their all but are unfortunately just fucking abject. 

Yep. The only way we have been able to get results with them is parking the bus, even going back to when Rafa was here. Just look at their stats, individually they must be the worst in the division. They are shit, and it's time we accepted it. 

12 minutes ago, Ashley17 said:

Awful day and if stings a bit more because it’s the first cup game in years where we can’t blame the owner, apathy towards cup or any other non-footballing matter. We played more or less our strongest team and lost to a league one side. We made enough chances to progress but some bad luck/poor finishing has cost us.

Dubravka - had little to do but looked weak on the goal. Would need to see it back

Trippier - Does everything with a conviction and a few intelligent passes. Got wound up in the last 10 and played into their hands. Tried to stop some of the wasters going down the tunnel without thanking the fans. Captain material

Ritchie - His time is up. Will always be targeted if he’s at left back

Schar - Fine really, haven’t picked the bones out of the goal but nothing obviously his fault

Krafth - Just a very average footballer

Shelvey - Spreads the ball about all day under little pressure. That’s his job but it’s nothing Schar couldn’t do imo

Longstaff - Hopeless. Heavy touches, bad finishing

Fraser - Did nothing of note all game

Joelinton - Looked good against Man Utd winning the ball back and driving us on but none of that today. Never looked likely to create anything when it’s not a counter attack

Murphy - Seemed our most likely scorer (and had one disallowed) so was surprised he was subbed. Obviously not great but better than others who stayed on

ASM - Lost interest as the game went on, too many touches as is becoming usual. Still our most likely outlet but poor today.

Subs:

Almiron - Horrendous. We need to stop putting him on the right wing

Willock - Absolutely hopeless. No idea what he’s doing.

Manquillo - Why not put Anderson on and move Fraser to full back? 

Howe - Went big today hoping for confidence and it’s had the opposite effect. I felt we had made progress against Man Utd but this was a step back.

Cambridge fans were good to be fair, huge turnout and I’m sure a great night ahead. Their keeper made some top saves but 9 shots on target from 23 says a lot. Hats off to Almiron, Schar and Willock for some truly horrendous shots in added time

Does anyone know who it was that Trippier tried to stop going down the tunnel?

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Thomas The Tank Engine

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Radio Newcastle said ASM was one of the first off the pitch and down the tunnel. I suspect he will be very quiet on social media over the next few days.

Guest neesy111
Just now, Jordan said:

Did their keeper make any good saves really? Ive not seen any back but from where I was sitting every shot we had was straight at him. 

2 of them were really good.

12 minutes ago, Jordan said:

Just got back. Predictable loss to lower league opposition as has become standard in the cup for us now. Somewhat expected it. This team are finished, scared to shoot and can’t impose themselves on League One opposition. The whole team is just woeful, Longstaff set the standard at the start when he just played one of them through on goal. Not a fucking clue what he was trying to do. Willock is absolutely shit as well, Arsenal have had our pants down with him. Does absolutely nothing. ASM frustrating yet again, the bloke just seems incapable of passing the fucking ball. 

spot on. That pathetic bit of football by longstaff as the start set the shit show up perfectly.

11 minutes ago, Jordan said:

Did their keeper make any good saves really? Ive not seen any back but from where I was sitting every shot we had was straight at him. 

He was really good. Made two great saves and unlike Dubravka did the basics. The one he pushed on to the bar in the first half from Murphy was fantastic.

Well, one thing’s for sure. PIF better get our incoming transfer up to warp speed IF they have ANY plans of surviving this season. 

The current crop are a bunch spineless c***s that have NO fightning spirit or interest in trying to step up. 

I guess they have given up… SELL, SELL…

Edited by maze

1 hour ago, Thiago said:

Final thought for today - don't let a bad 90 minutes distract from the week we've had. I excuse Trippier from any of what I'm about to say because he's new and looked very good for long periods. 

You don't live through 14 years of Mike Ashley and undo that in a few months with a full stadium and beautiful flag displays. This house is one that needs fixing up from top to bottom. The mentality has to change, the players have to change. The players we watched today are but grains of sand in the context of the club's history. We are witnessing who wants to be part of this exciting new journey and who doesn't. Every game is an audition now. Who wants to get used to a packed St James' Park cheering them across the line, and who would rather slip away with a pay off. 

Right now it's all the shit jobs we need to do. We're stripping the wallpaper, cleaning out the cupboard under the stairs. We've taken down the previous owner's tacky art work and we're starting to clean the walls in anticipation of painting. Trippier is a nice look at to what our clubs wants to do and who it wants to be, and a lot of those already here know they don't measure up. 

In the summer we all likely went to sleep each night praying for a new owner. I know I wasted a few New Years wishes on it...

We've got that, and we've seen a taste of what they aim to do with us. This lot today might have seen the penny drop or they might continue to embarrass us, but the clock is ticking down on this era and that's enough to keep me happy.

Brilliant!

1 hour ago, Jordan said:

They were straight at him, but tbf they were coming at some pace so still good saves. We only hit one shot close to the posts and that beat him all ends up but was ruled offside. Truth is, despite him having a good game, our strikes on goal were fucking pathetic. 

So glad I missed all of this and only checking in here during the aftermath.

Good that Trippier got his debut, and this abysmal result will certainly be used to motivate the players ahead of Watford. Would be nice if we had a new striker lined up before next week though :lol: 

Probably an outlier here but I didn’t think we were THAT bad. We had the chances to win it but we don’t have a striker and their GK made some very good saves. We won’t have trained much at all to be the side in possession. For me it looked like a classic team at home struggling to break down an organised defence because we were missing the cutting edge.

Disappointed, yeah, but that’s not going to decide whether we’re going down or not. I’ll be really worried if we play like that against Watford.

1 hour ago, Newintoon said:

Just seen the goal, I think it was correct to stand it’s a shit rule but is correct I believe, the offside players don’t become active until the ball reaches them or is at least near them once Shelvey touches it doesn’t matter there is no offside. It happened a couple of years ago when Lovren touched the ball before Kane won a penalty.

The Mings change of rule is just if a player comes back to tackle u from an offside position.
Anyway terrible result and performance 

IF that's the rule, Schars goal must stand aswell. Their keeper touches the ball before it reaches Schar and should be allowed. It's the same scenario.

Is there anyone in the world of football who knows the rules for offside or handball theese days? Seems to change every season and I'm not sure the referees really knows what's right anymore.

Not to mention VAR, who seems like the biggest lottery of them all. There are no guidelines or rules for what's a penalty, what's a foul or how handball or offside works out. Different takings of the same situations all the time.

Just now, Dr Venkman said:

Probably an outlier here but I didn’t think we were THAT bad. We had the chances to win it but we don’t have a striker and their GK made some very good saves. We won’t have trained much at all to be the side in possession. For me it looked like a classic team at home struggling to break down an organised defence because we were missing the cutting edge.

Disappointed, yeah, but that’s not going to decide whether we’re going down or not. I’ll be really worried if we play like that against Watford.

I thought we were a disgrace!    Only Murphy attempted to make runs, there was no real excitement at all in the game.   It should have been like Man City (NUFC) vrs Norwich (Cambridge), in that we play them off the park.   We didn't, we got to their box and had no idea what to do next.

2 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

The cutting edge is Wilson. Every other forward ends up playing in midfield or full back because they have absolutely zero cutting edge.