Newcastle United 0 - 1 Cambridge United (08/01/2022)

Yorkie

1 minute ago, Awaymag said:

I thought we were a disgrace!    Only Murphy attempted to make runs, there was no real excitement at all in the game.   It should have been like Man City (NUFC) vrs Norwich (Cambridge), in that we play them off the park.   We didn't, we got to their box and had no idea what to do next.

Aye well, people see different things in the same game.

9 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Probably an outlier here but I didn’t think we were THAT bad. We had the chances to win it but we don’t have a striker and their GK made some very good saves. We won’t have trained much at all to be the side in possession. For me it looked like a classic team at home struggling to break down an organised defence because we were missing the cutting edge.

Disappointed, yeah, but that’s not going to decide whether we’re going down or not. I’ll be really worried if we play like that against Watford.

Unbelievably so correct.  We actually hammered them and Callum Wilson would have had a hat trick today.  However they are a third division team and we have too many abysmal players.

meh, if we'd had a striker on we would have won.

not sure why murphy got taken off - best hope of a goal today.

miggy is not a right winger.

willock is a coward.

longstaff? well... 

but the biggest gripe today was our fans. worst atmosphere since the takeover.

and the stupid "your support is fucking shit" over and over again by a few hundered fans in the corner .... then followed by silence.

6 minutes ago, huss9 said:

meh, if we'd had a striker on we would have won.

not sure why murphy got taken off - best hope of a goal today.

miggy is not a right winger.

willock is a coward.

longstaff? well... 

but the biggest gripe today was our fans. worst atmosphere since the takeover.

and the stupid "your support is fucking shit" over and over again by a few hundered fans in the corner .... then followed by silence.

I do agree Murphy was the only one looking like scoring. For all his limitations he seems to be one of very few that can strike a ball and is not afraid to have a shot. Why take him off I'm really not sure...

Think we really need to consider getting a goalkeeper in too.

Dubravka is an absolute joke on the goal. Makes a mess off things in the first place and then when trying to recover the ball I think he gets nicked and he lays there waiting for the ref to bail him out as they go ahead and score. 

Our current players are always looking for the easy way out constantly. It's really just so pathetic.

Gutted. But Cambridge United should have had a penalty in the first half and us down to ten men. The ref bottled it in my opinion. They were the better team. Fought hard. Us no creativity and pretty clueless all game. Relegation looms unfortunately. Just bang average players. Good on you Cambridge United you well and truly deserved the win. 

2 minutes ago, Infinitely Content said:

The match being shown live on Bulgarian TV meant the Cambridge keeper's grandparents were able to watch him perform live for the first time; and what a performance he put on for them. Lovely :)

That dude was on point. Bring him in.

Watching that jumble sale collection of misfits and doylems once again fail to get the basics right and show no fight or heart was what fucked me off the most.

Going out of the cup isn't a big concern given that we don't need any distractions beyond the relegation battle.

Being beaten by League 1 opposition isn't particularly embarrassing, our shower of shite are a mid table championship squad at best so the gap isn't that big in reality.

But the manner of the defeat is what gets on my tits. These players can't do the simple stuff properly and they've got no will to win. They're infuriating to watch.

Edited by bobbydazzla

In a sense I'd be OK with the bad result in that the relegation battle trumps all but I'm afraid, as other have voiced, that players are gonna run for the hills when approached seeing this kind of results.

Just now, bobbydazzla said:

Watching that collection of misfits and doylems once again fail to get the basics right and show no fight or heart was what fucked me off the most.

Going out of the cup isn't a big concern given that we don't need any distractions beyond the relegation battle.

Being beaten by League 1 opposition isn't particularly embarrassing, as this shower of shite playing for us are a mid table championship squad at best so the gap isn't that big in reality.

But the manner of the defeat is what gets on my tits. These players can't even do the simple stuff properly and they've got no will to win. They're infuriating to watch.

Not sure I completely agree. They had chances, they dominated a good portion of the first half. They really lack something and you guys could probably see it clearer than I because my football knowledge is just passable.

4 minutes ago, McDog said:

In a sense I'd be OK with the bad result in that the relegation battle trumps all but I'm afraid, as other have voiced, that players are gonna run for the hills when approached seeing this kind of results.

Nah, don't think this game puts them off. We are after them because we are desperately trying to right things at the club after all.

I think the only impact it might have would perhaps be in them asking for an extra cheeky £10,000 a week.

I think number 13 is the rule that should have been applied to their goal

https://www.thefa.com/~/media/files/thefaportal/governance-docs/laws-of-the-game/11-v-11/interpretation-of-laws---2013-14/law-11---interpretations-of-the-laws-of-the-game.ashx

The shot by a team-mate (A) rebounds off or is deflected by an opponent to attacker (B) who is penalised for playing or touching the ball having previously been in an offside position.

Guest neesy111
2 minutes ago, snabelkabel said:

I think number 13 is the rule that should have been applied to their goal

https://www.thefa.com/~/media/files/thefaportal/governance-docs/laws-of-the-game/11-v-11/interpretation-of-laws---2013-14/law-11---interpretations-of-the-laws-of-the-game.ashx

The shot by a team-mate (A) rebounds off or is deflected by an opponent to attacker (B) who is penalised for playing or touching the ball having previously been in an offside position.

That's an older law PDF though, I thought this was the rules but apparently they were updated.

2 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

That's an older law PDF though, I thought this was the rules but apparently they were updated.

So you could theoretically leave a player way offside and try to pass to that player via deflection off an opponent?

Where is this new law, all i found was this rule? 😛

23 minutes ago, Infinitely Content said:

The match being shown live on Bulgarian TV meant the Cambridge keeper's grandparents were able to watch him perform live for the first time; and what a performance he put on for them. Lovely :)

Quality accent n all. Must’ve lived over here a while.

like I said remember happening couple years back Liverpool vs Spurs 2-2 and was amazed it’s not offside but it isn’t,
First Anfield penalty

INCIDENT: Harry Kane is in an offside position as the ball is played through to him, though Liverpool defender Dejan Lovren tries and fails to clear the ball, touching it onto Kane. Kane attempts to round Loris Karius, but is clipped and referee Jon Moss gives a penalty.

DERMOT'S VERDICT: Firstly, I think it's a foul. Regarding the offside, there's no doubt Kane is initially in an offside position, but once Lovren looks to take ownership of the ball, which he tries to do without doubt, that begins a new phase of play.

The discussion between linesman Eddie Smart and Moss centres around whether a) Lovren has played the ball, and b) whether Kane impacts the play, i.e. moves towards Lovren, and interferes with play, which he doesn't. Would managers know this? When referees go into clubs at pre-season, things like this are explained. The key thing here is: did Lovren clearly try to play the ball? And he did.

Cambridge had more possession and shots against us than we have managed in eight PL games this season.

Liverpool, Man City, Norwich, Arsenal, Brighton, Chelsea, Palace, Tottenham.

A team 16th in League One, performed better against us than we have when playing teams in our own league.

We were outstandingly bad today. That’s as bad a result and performance (when taking into account the opposition) that I can recall for years. 

2 minutes ago, A good win said:

Cambridge forward goes through one on one with the keeper end of the first half, he’s brought down, it was a straight red and stone wall penalty. Ref bottles it because of the massive crowd. 

Yep. Wasn’t even like their win was a smash and grab, they deserved it and it could’ve been more than one.

2 minutes ago, A good win said:

Cambridge forward goes through one on one with the keeper end of the first half, he’s brought down, it was a straight red and stone wall penalty. Ref bottles it because of the massive crowd. 

You cannot give a penalty and a red can you?