More transfer rumours

midds

Bruno was not playing as a no 10 for us though, he was playing deeper than for lyon, helping defend with joelinton and still scored more goals for us than he ever did at Lyon. We also greatly need his comfort on the ball and short passing in that area of the pitch as Joelintons not the greatest passer, shelvey can have vision with time but struggles when heavily pressed. I would love us to sign a very competent passing defensively minded midfield to complement bruno and joelinton but joelinton bruno paqueta has a bit of everything too

6 minutes ago, Solitude20 said:

Bruno playing in front of the defence is a waste of his skills. He didn’t play there for Lyon and he does not play there for Brazil for a good reason. He does better roaming around and being an all rounder. 

How is it a waste of his skills? We play a completely different system to both Lyon and Brazil too.

There is no way this is his favorite position, and here goes my comment above. I think some folks here think all midfielders here are interchangeable and don’t realize the vast different roles different players can play. This is obvious when many folks here simply think “fast = good and slow =bad” for any position in the pitch. 

Eh?

6 minutes ago, Solitude20 said:

Edited by Hanshithispantz

People think the deepest of our three needs to be a defensive option because that's what we've been as a team for years. When Bruno's played there for us the whole 3 presses high because unlike Shelvey he allows us to do that. 

3 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

Bruno was not playing as a no 10 for us though, he was playing deeper than for lyon, helping defend with joelinton and still scored more goals for us than he ever did at Lyon. We also greatly need his comfort on the ball and short passing in that area of the pitch as Joelintons not the greatest passer, shelvey can have vision with time but struggles when heavily pressed. I would love us to sign a very competent passing defensively minded midfield to complement bruno and joelinton but joelinton bruno paqueta has a bit of everything too

Bruno plays in a similar role to how  Iniesta played. He can create, pass, dribble, tackle, score, and move well off the ball. Now imagine someone come and say let’s play Iniesta in front of the defenders. I mean, he can play there a game or two to cover for injuries or lack of substitutes, but it would be a waste of his skills to keep him there all season. 

1 minute ago, xLiaaamx said:

People think the deepest of our three needs to be a defensive option because that's what we've been as a team for years. When Bruno's played there for us the whole 3 presses high because unlike Shelvey he allows us to do that. 

Yep, it's what the manager required.

Klopp did this with Gini, and even Milner has stepped in there, they are not natural defensive midfielders, but they understand the system and adapt making it look easy, Gini scored goals, broke up play, created chances, linked up play, etc. Very similar to what Bruno has done last season with us, Eddie will get players to adapt, that's proven with Joelinton, theres players favoured position, then theres playing to the system and the coaches philosophy. 

7 minutes ago, xLiaaamx said:

It does not work like that. If you watch the games when Bruno played in place of Shelvey, you will rarely find Bruno press up. He was the least mobile of the three midfielders in such games in order to give balance. Imagine all of your three midfielders press up, who will stay at the back to support the defenders in case the ball slips by? You will have a very exposed midfield in that case, and that’s why all teams will always have a less mobile midfielder stay at the back more than others. 

Bruno did it a few games last season because Howe had to play with the players at his disposal. Now it’s a different story. 

1 minute ago, Solitude20 said:

It does not work like that. If you watch the games when Bruno played in place of Shelvey, you will rarely find Bruno press up. He was the least mobile of the three midfielders in such games in order to give balance. Imagine all of your three midfielders press up, who will stay at the back to support the defenders in case the ball slips by? You will have a very exposed midfield in that case, and that’s why all teams will always have a less mobile midfielder stay at the back more than others. 

Bruno did it a few games last season because Howe had to play with the players at his disposal. Now it’s a different story. 

They did like, they even did when Shelvey was the base. They pressesd up depending on the opposition.

Bruno was the least mobile to the point he scored 5 goals all from inside the box 

Paqueta is a quality player and should he be willing or wanting to come to us, then it’d be stupid not to be in the race for him. Im sure Arsenal and their fans aren’t turning their noses up at the thought of him, concerned at which position he’d play, or thinking it might stunt Saka, Odegaard or Smith-Rowes progress. With the 5 sub rule coming in, it’s daft not to have as many potential match winners as you can get. 

3 minutes ago, madras said:

They did like, they even did when Shelvey was the base. They pressesd up depending on the opposition.

Bruno was the least mobile to the point he scored 5 goals all from inside the box 

Exactly. Imagine how many more goals he would have scored if he was free to move up if he wasn’t tasked with more defensive responsibilities. That’s why it’s a waste of his skills to play him in front of the defenders. 

2 minutes ago, Solitude20 said:

Exactly. Imagine how many more goals he would have scored if he was free to move up if he wasn’t tasked with more defensive responsibilities. That’s why it’s a waste of his skills to play him in front of the defenders. 

It's his playing out from the back which changed us more, his ability to retain possession meant we didn't ha e to go long. Bruno is the base or one of a double pivot for me. With more to aim for in front of him his accuracy if passing  will come even more to the fore.

Edited by madras

12 minutes ago, madras said:

It's his playing out from the back which changed us more, his ability to retain possession meant we didn't ha e to go long. Bruno is the base or one of a double pivot for me. With more to aim for in front of him his accuracy if passing  will come even more to the fore.

This. I want to see him eventually having 100 touches a game. He’s so fearless and creative that you want him on it as much as possible. He’ll still find moments to impact things in the final third, as he has every time he’s played in the middle of the three or in a two.

2 hours ago, Paully said:

I know it’s not a priority position but we simply must sign him! He’d choose us over Arsenal imo! Let the Brazilians run amok!

Arsenal can and probably will offer him double the wages we will so I wouldn't be so sure about that.

If there's any chance I'd love to sign him. Just being able to debate people's best positions and how to accommodate them would be much more fun than discussing how to keep certain players out of the team.

Imagine Bruce trying to convince him to join, and explaining his ideas of using him as a false Number 10 (or whatever it is).

Tbf even Bruno himself said his favoured position is number 8 role because it gives him the freedom to get forward and support attacks.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bruno-guimaraes-newcastle-united-position-23724026

I can see him in a double pivot which still gives him that freedom, but I don't see Joelinton being the other and it would be a travesty to lose what Joelinton offers us. 

Edited by Thumbheed

1 hour ago, Ben said:

What formation will Man City play this year ?

Ederson

Walker Laporte Dias Cancelo

Phillips

KdB         Gündogan 

Mahrez Haaland Foden

Something like that I guess. Obviously with heavy rotation and very fluid in attack 

8 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

Tbf even Bruno himself said his favoured position is number 8 role because it dlgives him the freedom to get forward and support attacks.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bruno-guimaraes-newcastle-united-position-23724026

I can see him in a double pivot which still gives him that freedom, but I don't see Joelinton being the other. It would be a travesty to lose what Joelinton offers us. 

Joelinton will eventually be a squad player. He can cover a few positions and will give strength coming off the bench.

5 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Ederson

Walker Laporte Dias Cancelo

Phillips

KdB         Gündogan 

Mahrez Haaland Foden

Something like that I guess. Obviously with heavy rotation and very fluid in attack 

Do you reckon Phillips will replace Rodri immediately? He had an absolutely class season. 

Man City will absolutely piss the league. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

1 hour ago, Solitude20 said:

Bruno playing in front of the defence is a waste of his skills. He didn’t play there for Lyon and he does not play there for Brazil for a good reason. He does better roaming around and being an all rounder. 

There is no way this is his favorite position, and here goes my comment above. I think some folks here think all midfielders here are interchangeable and don’t realize the vast different roles different players can play. This is obvious when many folks here simply think “fast = good and slow =bad” for any position in the pitch. 

He did play there for Lyon.