More transfer rumours

midds

2 minutes ago, Nine said:

When I say underprepared I am mainly pointing to the fact they did not secure a dof around the same time that they brought in the manager, dof should have been in weeks after at the most imo. What we are seeing now is just the trickle down effect of lacking structure around transfers/finances/scouting at the top.

Available, quality DoFs don't grow on trees though, it may be that the right man isn't available yet. Hence Hammond getting a temporary role.

31 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Ashley isn't here though, they are. It's completely fair that they're judged on what they have and haven't done.

I'm not saying 'PIF OUT' but there needs to be recognition of where they're going wrong.

Going into January with Howe and Nickson dealing with transfers seemed a bad idea months ago and it's looking a bad idea now. 

As for Digne, Villa took advantage of a situation and got a good deal. Again, these aren't rare incidents. If you're on the ball you will make good deals. We did with Trippier. They're both top internationals so aren't the rule in themselves but if you go down the ladder a bit you'll see fair deals being made all the time for players more than good enough to improve 

If we're totally honest with ourselves  about the new owners, they have about as much footballing background as Ashley did when he came in, possibly a tad more, but they should have surrounded themselves in the early months with high profile advisors, the only problem is,when you're advertised as the richest owners in football, your going to get a lot of charlatans, and equally with the "anyone but Newcastle" wankers led by the likes of Daniel Levy, you just dont know behind the scenes, what other underhand shit is taking place, marry that with our league position, January being an awkward month etc, and it's going to be a challenge, my own opinion is although I have no facts, I'm assuming they've been premature in their preparation,  but, that could have been down to the state the club was in behind the scenes, one thing that indicated their naivety, was the gesture to allow Bruce his 1000th game, then allow Jones games, that added an extra month onto our manager search. 

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Available, quality DoFs don't grow on trees though, it may be that the right man isn't available yet. Hence Hammond getting a temporary role.

Of course they don’t, nor do managers or players. Is it unreasonable to assume they had a shortlist of dofs written up and had contact with before they came in?

Sevilla are literally going for the league, only 4/5 points off Madrid.. if I was them I wouldn’t sell either, or if I was I’d be making sure I got what I wanted from the deal.

We will keep haggling until time is against us, which it almost is by now.

Everything else that’s popped up over the course this month is agents trying to drive up interest in their underperforming overpaid dickheads. We’re stupid to fall for it 

1 minute ago, Nine said:

Of course they don’t, nor do managers or players. Is it unreasonable to assume they had a shortlist of dofs written up and had contact with before they came in?

Probably did three or four years ago when they first wanted to buy the club. And then the Masters shitshow happened and people they were in contact with got other jobs etc. Are you expecting them to have ongoing potential appointments in place for all those years just in case the PL rushed it through as they did? 

38 minutes ago, Nine said:

To be fair PIF came into the club with a lot of noise about winning trophies, even stated they aimed to win the league within 10 seasons or something. Obviously the current shit show is of Ashley’s making and he’s the man responsible for our current plight but it’s not healthy just to say ‘Oh if even if they don’t sign anyone else it’s not our current owners fault’ because it absolutely is and they themselves will know that. 

They laid down alot of expectation and came into this window under prepared, there was the Emery shitshow, then the dof issue which both ultimately led to the issues we are seeing now with signing our major targets. I am not trying to be overly critical of the owners as it was a difficult situation to come in to however to say that have fumbled deals that might have gone smoothly under more experienced people is a fair comment imo. If we end up signing targets that were our 7th/8th/9th choices and we go down it would fall on the heads of our ownership because we did come into this window unprepared regardless of the state Ashley left us in. 

‘It’s not fifa or fm’ as some people say but it’s also not as complicated as building Rome in a week.. we are 20 days into a 31 day window and to expect 4/5 major signings in key areas secured would not have been asking the world especially with the key games we had this month. I will admit it has me slightly concerned at the moment. 

I agree with the majority of that but I still think it oversimplifies the transfer market in January. We will have a number of players we've put offers to who are waiting until the final week to see if they can get more/better. If we were riding high in the table it probably wouldn't be the case (or maybe it still would). Agents are whoring their clients around, trying to get the best salary/bonuses/opportunity for players and even if we agree a package with a player, we then have to negotiate a fee with the selling club, who might want a replacement in first. It's too easy to say 'we should've had agreements in place in December' - we weren't cut adrift at the bottom then.

There have undoubtedly been mistakes - Emery, keeping Bruce on too long, possibly hiring Howe, not having a DOF in yet but i'd still rather have this lot in charge, go down, reset and come back up than have Ashley and his stooge cunts anywhere near us. The new owners will learn and it'll be a great ride. It's sad that the shine has been taken off this season by the league position and form but it's still more fun than the last 14 years. We've signed an England international FFS!

5 minutes ago, elbee909 said:

If this goes ahead it'll be a crying shame that the Botman deal didn't happen. Botman and Robin in defence would just be too much.

Genuinely worth bidding £100 million for Botman just for that reason alone ;D

Reading a few people starting to criticise the board now. It seems weird after years of non-activity and Ashley. I get it’s frustrating but we’re trying to buy players with the worst bargaining chips. We’re desperate and have some apparent wealth now. Every club is trying to take the piss and they probably should. 

I’m following a few others on here now and taking a backward step (translates and not refreshing Twitter/this thread all day) as the constant non-progress in transfers just feels like yet more disappointment.