More transfer rumours

midds

2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

I mean most people would have taken a RB, two CBs a CM and ST pre-window. We are 40% there and I have no doubt we're far from done. While its fair enough to raise concerns, some of them have been bordering on the hysterical.

I'd be satisfied with 3 players as long as one of them was a quality central midfielder, but based on the most notable/acknowledged rumours this does not seem to be a priority which concerns me. Up until Wilsons injury, CM should have been the top top priority. Now we've got Wood, CM should again be our main position to strengthen.

I doubt any of the worries would be occurring if the two January fixtures were Man City and Chelsea away - patience would have been in abundance, as we'd all write off those games.

The problem is that the two Jan fixtures are vs teams next to us.  They should be winnable, and potentially we're damaging our chances of staying up by not getting in adequate replacements into vital positions.

No-one should be going crackers, but concern is perfectly reasonable.  

5 hours ago, Dokko said:

They've done fuck all but make noise. I'll base my opinions on them from their actions which are so far lacking. All you are hearing is paper talk, if you want to buy in to it fine. I'll wait to see action and so far its far from enough to stay up. 

Cheer up

People are reacting to a bunch of tweets. It's fucking insane. They'll be in other threads complaining about how much bullshit is on twitter and then act as if everything on twitter is worth getting worked up about. Back in the day Ceefax was 99% wrong. Things never change.

1 hour ago, Happinesstan said:

People are reacting to a bunch of tweets. It's fucking insane. They'll be in other threads complaining about how much bullshit is on twitter and then act as if everything on twitter is worth getting worked up about. Back in the day Ceefax was 99% wrong. Things never change.

Spoken like a person that has experienced the deep seated bitterness and shame of racking up the phone bill calling clubcall... damn you page 141 😀

The vast, vast majority of the links will be complete horseshit - I don't think the scattergun approach which the rumourmill is currently suggesting is happening.  Some of the links are just bizarre.

The Botman and Carlos stories clearly have legs.  I think the Lingard, Cantwell and Nunez ones have a ring of truth.  The others are varying degrees of 'maybe' to 'Roberto Baggio in Wallsend chippy' in terms of ludicrousness.

Those of us who are over 25 will 100% remember how normal clubs work, and how much shite transfer gossip usually is.  Most of it was always a bit of fun for readers of red tops.  Some of the young'uns on twitter will be on a rollercoaster atm.

The problem is obviously money and the hard part is that if we start splashing alot early in January, every next signing is hard. It’s clear we try to get as many deals as possible at the same time, so we avoid having to pay +20 million for every player.

If we sign now someone for £70 million, then all the clubs know to ask more.

If we do it well, we can finalize 4-5 deals at the same time without having to use £150 million for players that other clubs would sign for £50 million.

And it’s really bad business to overpay, because if the players flop, we are gonna lose lot on these deals.

But we should have had these deals lined up already before Christmas.

Edited by Elephant

I'm surpriced we're not being linked to more bargain deals.

Every player we sign can't cost £25M or more. Must be many players available for £3-10M.

Thinking of players like Ginter, Azmoun etc...

If we can get 3-4 players from that bracket in + a couple of loan deals it could be enough to survive this season.

We’ll see where we are at the end of the window. The new owners have and will continue to make mistakes, Man City wasn’t built in a day, but to claim they’re as bad as Ashley after 2/3rds of a single window (in which we’ve already signed an England international in a problem area and got some cover up front - and are clearly chasing more) is a bit much like :lol:

Confident they’ll get it right in the long run, and if mistakes made this month mean we can’t save the season and go down that’s more on Ashley and his decade and a half of neglect than it is on the new owners who for me have been a breath of fresh air so far. If we go down we’ll clear the decks and come back stronger and smarter, I’ve no doubt. 

41 minutes ago, Elephant said:

The problem is obviously money and the hard part is that if we start splashing alot early in January, every next signing is hard. It’s clear we try to get as many deals as possible at the same time, so we avoid having to pay +20 million for every player.

If we sign now someone for £70 million, then all the clubs know to ask more.

If we do it well, we can finalize 4-5 deals at the same time without having to use £150 million for players that other clubs would sign for £50 million.

And it’s really bad business to overpay, because if the players flop, we are gonna lose lot on these deals.

But we should have had these deals lined up already before Christmas.

Like @Toon No9has just mentioned, someone like Azmoun wouldn't cost £70m. The reported fee is something like £4-5m.

Now whether or not he's any good is beside the point, there are dozens of players like him who we could pick up for less than £10m. For reference we bought Perez for a couple of million and he came in and scored 3 in 3. Perez (of back then) would be overlooked nowadays because he wasn't high profile enough and wouldn't have Premiership experience.

If we're talking just January. We bought Cisse in January for about £10m.

When it comes to players like Botman and Carlos I completely agree, selling clubs know they're in the drivers seat so we have to play it clever. As great as it would be to get them in early we cannot just toss absurd money around without trying to negotiate.

3 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

We’ll see where we are at the end of the window. The new owners have and will continue to make mistakes, Man City wasn’t built in a day, but to claim they’re as bad as Ashley after 2/3rds of a single window (in which we’ve already signed an England international in a problem area and got some cover up front - and are clearly chasing more) is a bit much like :lol:

Confident they’ll get it right in the long run, and if mistakes made this month mean we can’t save the season and go down that’s more on Ashley and his decade and a half of neglect than it is on the new owners who for me have been a breath of fresh air so far. If we go down we’ll clear the decks and come back stronger and smarter, I’ve no doubt. 

Aye, nothing about this window has been like Ashley. We’ve bought a first choice England defender, paid the third most in world football for a 30+ year old and are going for top players that other clubs want to sign or keep too. Full faith in them getting what’s needed.

4 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Like @Toon No9has just mentioned, someone like Azmoun wouldn't cost £70m. The reported fee is something like £4-5m.

Now whether or not he's any good is beside the point, there are dozens of players like him who we could pick up for less than £10m. For reference we bought Perez for a couple of million and he came in and scored 3 in 3. Perez (of back then) would be overlooked nowadays because he wasn't high profile enough and wouldn't have Premiership experience.

If we're talking just January. We bought Cisse in January for about £10m.

When it comes to players like Botman and Carlos I completely agree, selling clubs know they're in the drivers seat so we have to play it clever. As great as it would be to get them in early we cannot just toss absurd money around without trying to negotiate.

Cisse was bought 10 years ago man. That £10m fee would probably be around £30-40m now. Azmoun might well be £5m, but for all you know we may have tried and he not want to come. For your Perez example re: high profile etc, we have been linked a lot with the likes of Mavididi- neither high profile, nor PL experience, and yet still £15m which is pretty much what the going rate for a £3m 2014 Perez would be…

17 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Please tell me people aren’t saying they’re as bad as Ashley.. that’s so embarrassing if they are ffs

Just now, Manxst said:

Cisse was bought 10 years ago man. That £10m fee would probably be around £30-40m now. Azmoun might well be £5m, but for all you know we may have tried and he not want to come. For your Perez example re: high profile etc, we have been linked a lot with the likes of Mavididi- neither high profile, nor PL experience, and yet still £15m which is pretty much what the going rate for a £3m 2014 Perez would be…

You're just pulling figures out of your arse here though, the market across the board has not went up as high as you're suggesting in the last decade. Absolutely no way Tenerefe are getting anywhere close to £15m for a Spanish second devision forward. 

We see teams make shrewd signings all the time.

7 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

You're just pulling figures out of your arse here though, the market across the board has not went up as high as you're suggesting in the last decade. Absolutely no way Tenerefe are getting anywhere close to £15m for a Spanish second devision forward. 

We see teams make shrewd signings all the time.

The 30-40 is obviously a guess, but I’d say it would be what he’s worth. The 15m for Mavidi is what has been linked for. And yes,

10 years of inflation, your prices are way out. Hence why we’re quoted a 29 year old Brazilian CB with no international caps for 40m, not to mention the obvious ‘Newcastle premium’ every team will want to add to their price for us compared to other teams.

Edited by Manxst

7 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

Please tell me people aren’t saying they’re as bad as Ashley.. that’s so embarrassing if they are ffs

Of course they are. Some people are pathetic in their negativity and casually forget the last 14 years in favour of the last 4 months…