More transfer rumours

midds

"I can exclusively reveal that steve bruce is currently working furiously on his world-wide address book to bring in much needed quality that matches his brilliance as he tries to save the basket case club in in the armpit of the north from dropping in to the championship which is were I'm sure you'll agree they've always belonged and should have just been grateful to be in the same league as Burnley for this long.   All this despite him being 'shafted' by the club hierarchy who promised him a Sports Direct loyalty card with hundreds of points on it which he thought could be redeemed at any football club for an Andy Carroll.   What a guy!  Lucky to have him so they are!"

1 minute ago, NWMag said:

Sorry if mentioned, not kept up with the thread due to work, but could the surprise Ando mentioned be Yannick Carrasco? 

Could well be Targett. Said nothing about the level of the player.

1 minute ago, NWMag said:

Sorry if mentioned, not kept up with the thread due to work, but could the surprise Ando mentioned be Yannick Carrasco? 

Rumoured to be interested but the Athletic have stated his release clause for this window has expired. 

The lack of signings up front will be a very big problem. Even with Guimarães, I don't think Newcastle is safe without at least a player like Lingard. 

Edited by cranna

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

If we bring in Lingard in and I think we will, it's an 8/10 window for me.

Tbh thinking about I couldn’t disagree maybe a 7. 3 really good players and 2 solid ones but apparently that’s negative :lol:

Edited by gdm

Shame about Ekitike. Burn and Targett are all but done. Perhaps we'll have a double reveal.

Lingard NEEDS to be done now, essential we have another attacking player/goal threat in. 

Still hopeful we might see something else completely out if left field.

Well, what started out as a great morning has me feeling a bit nervous. Overall I’m happy with the business we’ve done. It’s the obvious weaknesses we haven’t addressed that make me a bit scared. We really, really needed a top class CB, we really, really needed a top class forward and probably an attacking midfielder as well. Still time left I suppose but other than that it’s hard to say that this window has been any better than a 6/10. IMO anyway. 

Alright, so I came into the window hoping we'd get a RB, CB(R), CB(L), LB, CM, and ST, based on the media reports and where I felt our main weaknesses were.

I still thought we might be able to achieve that today, but it is looking unlikely with six-and-a-half hours left to go.

We do look like we've done RB, CB(L), LB, CM, and ST, but we've gone from the potential high of Trippier, Botman, Digne, Guimarães, and someone like Nuñez/Zapata to Trippier, Burn, Targett, Guimarães, and Wood. (Carlos obviously didn't happen.)

To get our apparent first choices at RB and CM is fucking class, but it's a shame we managed to only do third/fourth/fifth choices at CB(L) and LB. I've no idea where Wood was on the list, but I'd imagine similar.

IF we get Lingard then that does augment our goalscoring options a fair bit, so it doesn't make the Wood deal look too bad in the context, but if he doesn't come we have fallen a little bit short of the absolute best we could have probably managed to do.

Still, for my own personal expectations, we really haven't done too badly at all and we have been incredibly ambitious in our approach. We haven't really been taken for mugs by anyone, we've negotiated hard and known when to walk away, but we've still strengthened the first team significantly, all without a DoF/CEO in place.

We're currently looking at:

Manquillo > Trippier
Schär/Lascelles > Burn
Dummett > Targett
Willock/Shelvey > Guimarães
Gayle > Wood

We might be able to add Fraser > Lingard to that list. All-in-all that's a pretty significant upgrade in over half the positions in the team. We'll end the window as top spenders and with the most incomings in the division, unless I'm mistaken, and once the DoF/CEO pieces are added and the infrastructure is built out further on the recruitment side the potential is mind-blowing.

I just don't see how anyone can be down in the dumps after this window. A little bit underwhelmed like me, sure, but ~£100M spent and five/six first-teamers brought in by a club that was 19th at the opening of the window? Three or four of them full internationals, at that.

We've come a long way in a matter of months and Howe does now have enough to avoid the drop, surely, especially with that win at Leeds banked. It's a fantastic time to support NUFC, so it'd be grand if people could make a bit of effort to look on the bright side more often.

1 minute ago, cranna said:

The lack of signings up front will very big problem. Even with Guimarães, I don't think Newcastle is safe without at least a player like Lingard. 

Surviving relegation with Ryan Fraser and Chris Wood? Good luck with that!

Edited by cranna

Rating this window as it stands, assuming Burn and Targett are the only two in today. I think my rating is 7 at the very very most, but that's only because of the coup of signing Bruno. If it was someone lesser at the level of Targett, Wood or Burn but a CM Instead of Bruno then it would have been a weak 5 out of 10.

Edited by Ikon

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

Alright, so I came into the window hoping we'd get a RB, CB(R), CB(L), LB, CM, and ST, based on the media reports and where I felt our main weaknesses were.

I still thought we might be able to achieve that today, but it is looking unlikely with six-and-a-half hours left to go.

We do look like we've done RB, CB(L), LB, CM, and ST, but we've gone from the potential high of Trippier, Botman, Digne, Guimarães, and someone like Nuñez/Zapata to Trippier, Burn, Targett, Guimarães, and Wood. (Carlos obviously didn't happen.)

To get our apparent first choices at RB and CM is fucking class, but it's a shame we managed to only do third/fourth/fifth choices at CB(L) and LB. I've no idea where Wood was on the list, but I'd imagine similar.

IF we get Lingard then that does augment our goalscoring options a fair bit, so it doesn't make the Wood deal look too bad in the context, but if he doesn't come we have fallen a little bit short of the absolute best we could have probably managed to do.

Still, for my own personal expectations, we really haven't done too badly at all and we have been incredibly ambitious in our approach. We haven't really been taken for mugs by anyone, we've negotiated hard and known when to walk away, but we've still strengthened the first team significantly, all without a DoF/CEO in place.

We're currently looking at:

Manquillo > Trippier
Schär/Lascelles > Burn
Dummett > Targett
Willock/Shelvey > Guimarães
Gayle > Wood

We might be able to add Fraser > Lingard to that list. All-in-all that's a pretty significant upgrade in over half the positions in the team. We'll end the window as top spenders and with the most incomings in the division, unless I'm mistaken, and once the DoF/CEO pieces are added and the infrastructure is built out further on the recruitment side the potential is mind-blowing.

I just don't see how anyone can be down in the dumps after this window. A little bit underwhelmed like me, sure, but ~£100M spent and five/six first-teamers brought in by a club that was 19th at the opening of the window? Three or four of them full internationals, at that.

We've come a long way in a matter of months and Howe does now have enough to avoid the drop, surely, especially with that win at Leeds banked. It's a fantastic time to support NUFC, so it'd be grand if people could make a bit of effort to look on the bright side more often.

Wtf very similar views to me but you just said im negative :lol: just coz I said the window wasn’t ‘stellar’ (it will be close to it if we get lingard in)

Edited by gdm