More transfer rumours

midds

We need another pacey wide attacking player ideally a striker and wide player. Absolute roll of the dice without them. If Wood and ASM get injured we are done.

Plenty of time for loans, abroad or in the UK but permanents look pretty unlikely now.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

With 6 hours to go it's a 10/10 for effort (the trying that we all wanted) and a 7/10 for execution for me. 

Aye we can't complain about lack of effort which is all we've wanted really, they tried with big bids for centre back and a forward.

I think my only issue with this window is the signing of Wood. Think he's been on the decline for the last year, but when I thought he was Gayle's replacement I was accepting of it. Now it looks like he's Wilson's replacement for the next two months I'm petrified :lol:

Just now, WillingtonMag said:

Aye we can't complain about lack of effort which is all we've wanted really, they tried with big bids for centre back and a forward.

:thup: I can't even imagine the names they're going to be fighting to sign this summer if we stay up and aren't trying to entice players in to the middle of a relegation battle.

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Burnley managed it every season, and Bournemouth did for 3.

After spending almost 100m, why do they need to gamble? Just pay whatever Man Utd want for Lingard, and finish the job. 

6/10. Trippier and Bruno are both massive coups. I think Wood will surprise a few and turn out to be a decent signing. I don’t think we’ve solved our defence problems in anything like the way we needed to - don’t really rate Targett and don’t know enough about Burn.

Reserving the right to increase this if we do anything last minute.

Just now, wormy said:

:thup: I can't even imagine the names they're going to be fighting to sign this summer if we stay up and aren't trying to entice players in to the middle of a relegation battle.

This will be the one of the most disappointing things if we get relegated. We stay up and this summer is going to be a ridiculous window. 

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

Alright, so I came into the window hoping we'd get a RB, CB(R), CB(L), LB, CM, and ST, based on the media reports and where I felt our main weaknesses were.

I still thought we might be able to achieve that today, but it is looking unlikely with six-and-a-half hours left to go.

We do look like we've done RB, CB(L), LB, CM, and ST, but we've gone from the potential high of Trippier, Botman, Digne, Guimarães, and someone like Nuñez/Zapata to Trippier, Burn, Targett, Guimarães, and Wood. (Carlos obviously didn't happen.)

To get our apparent first choices at RB and CM is fucking class, but it's a shame we managed to only do third/fourth/fifth choices at CB(L) and LB. I've no idea where Wood was on the list, but I'd imagine similar.

IF we get Lingard then that does augment our goalscoring options a fair bit, so it doesn't make the Wood deal look too bad in the context, but if he doesn't come we have fallen a little bit short of the absolute best we could have probably managed to do.

Still, for my own personal expectations, we really haven't done too badly at all and we have been incredibly ambitious in our approach. We haven't really been taken for mugs by anyone, we've negotiated hard and known when to walk away, but we've still strengthened the first team significantly, all without a DoF/CEO in place.

We're currently looking at:

Manquillo > Trippier
Schär/Lascelles > Burn
Dummett > Targett
Willock/Shelvey > Guimarães
Gayle > Wood

We might be able to add Fraser > Lingard to that list. All-in-all that's a pretty significant upgrade in over half the positions in the team. We'll end the window as top spenders and with the most incomings in the division, unless I'm mistaken, and once the DoF/CEO pieces are added and the infrastructure is built out further on the recruitment side the potential is mind-blowing.

I just don't see how anyone can be down in the dumps after this window. A little bit underwhelmed like me, sure, but ~£100M spent and five/six first-teamers brought in by a club that was 19th at the opening of the window? Three or four of them full internationals, at that.

We've come a long way in a matter of months and Howe does now have enough to avoid the drop, surely, especially with that win at Leeds banked. It's a fantastic time to support NUFC, so it'd be grand if people could make a bit of effort to look on the bright side more often.

Almost as important as their talent is their attitude.  Our team as it stood was rife with a loser mentality, if getting some fresh blood in the team helps flush that out of our system then it'll make us a better squad.  Just having some players on the pitch who believe they can win will make a difference.

Let's be honest it's out of this world of anything we could have expected 4 months ago

People lose sight of that so easily. Mad how the attitude of people's change even with a space of 24 hours

Short memories

Why are we saying 6 hours isn't enough to make abroad signings btw? Because we can't get officials out to these places or?

Not disagreeing btw, just not aware of the logistics etc.

January Transfers are a novel thing after 14 years.

4 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I understand the view of not wanting to be negative but the realistic fact is, if we don’t score goals we are down. Wilson was slightly out of form

prior to his Injury. I’m happy with our business but that doesn’t mean this is not a valid concern. If Wood got injured right now it’s Gayle up front. 

Nobody is saying that it isn't a valid concern, just flagging up the constant glass-half-empty eyes people view things through.

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

With 6 hours to go it's a 10/10 for effort (the trying that we all wanted) and a 7/10 for execution for me. 

Pretty much this, aye. Execution-wise we lose points because we'll have been foolish not having other attacking options lined up in the event neither Lingard nor Ekitike arrived. (As it stands with Man Utd playing silly buggers) It's becoming apparent that neither of those deals were especially likely this window so we should have had a realistic backup option. We still might, of course.  

Not arsed about the timing of the deals. Day 1 or Deadline Day, it's irrelevant cos we got 4 points from 6 this month. 

Securing five players, at least two of which are serious, serious quality - and at least a third one who's also a very good player - is a terrific achievement for their first rodeo and with everything stacked against them re naivety/inexperience/our league position. 

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

Alright, so I came into the window hoping we'd get a RB, CB(R), CB(L), LB, CM, and ST, based on the media reports and where I felt our main weaknesses were.

I still thought we might be able to achieve that today, but it is looking unlikely with six-and-a-half hours left to go.

We do look like we've done RB, CB(L), LB, CM, and ST, but we've gone from the potential high of Trippier, Botman, Digne, Guimarães, and someone like Nuñez/Zapata to Trippier, Burn, Targett, Guimarães, and Wood. (Carlos obviously didn't happen.)

To get our apparent first choices at RB and CM is fucking class, but it's a shame we managed to only do third/fourth/fifth choices at CB(L) and LB. I've no idea where Wood was on the list, but I'd imagine similar.

IF we get Lingard then that does augment our goalscoring options a fair bit, so it doesn't make the Wood deal look too bad in the context, but if he doesn't come we have fallen a little bit short of the absolute best we could have probably managed to do.

Still, for my own personal expectations, we really haven't done too badly at all and we have been incredibly ambitious in our approach. We haven't really been taken for mugs by anyone, we've negotiated hard and known when to walk away, but we've still strengthened the first team significantly, all without a DoF/CEO in place.

We're currently looking at:

Manquillo > Trippier
Schär/Lascelles > Burn
Dummett > Targett
Willock/Shelvey > Guimarães
Gayle > Wood

We might be able to add Fraser > Lingard to that list. All-in-all that's a pretty significant upgrade in over half the positions in the team. We'll end the window as top spenders and with the most incomings in the division, unless I'm mistaken, and once the DoF/CEO pieces are added and the infrastructure is built out further on the recruitment side the potential is mind-blowing.

I just don't see how anyone can be down in the dumps after this window. A little bit underwhelmed like me, sure, but ~£100M spent and five/six first-teamers brought in by a club that was 19th at the opening of the window? Three or four of them full internationals, at that.

We've come a long way in a matter of months and Howe does now have enough to avoid the drop, surely, especially with that win at Leeds banked. It's a fantastic time to support NUFC, so it'd be grand if people could make a bit of effort to look on the bright side more often.

I don’t see Burn as an increase on Schar/Lascelles and same re: Targett over Dummett/Manquillo/Lewis.

I think we’ve added two average players to a squad of average players. Although the benefit that they are coming in on good form rather than the loser mindset the rest of our players have.

Wood is an abysmal signing. Lingard is essential now if we are relying on Wood for the next two months.

I think the quality of Bruno and Trippier may be enough to see us over the line but I still worry about Howe and hope we start to see improvements in the team.

Overall I think we could have been better prepared and made our moves earlier and more decisively. We should have moved on from Botman and Carlos when it was clear a deal couldn’t be made.

I wonder if Ekitike may have made a different decision if he had a decision to make three weeks earlier, rather being rushed with a couple of hours to make such a life-changing decision. 

I’m not convinced by our CB/DM and striker options but hopefully it’ll be enough.

If we stay up, I’m pleased the consortium have had a January transfer window ahead of the Summer to get used to it and learn lessons, might be a good thing in the long run.

I’m pleased the owners seem to be happy to splash the cash and it’s clear the intent is there. Hopefully more lessons will be learnt and it’ll see us good in the future.

6/10 moving up to a 7 with Lingard, an 8 if we get anyone else decent in.