More transfer rumours

midds

40 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Everton also have had inferior managers, different managers with different approaches. But I agree quality is #1. No point signing players for 6-8 from now. It's about signing players for the CL. That's Bruno, that's Trippier. That's Lodi.

But I don't think we'll cap the number. We can improve in every area and will try to sign players for the right deals. The 50m Lodi figure for a non-urgent position indicates that. If the right striker becomes available at 70m we will go for it. The only position i think we'll be forced to just try and get a body in is ST and maybe RW.

The thing with FFP is that we can't spend £300m on players to get us into the top 8, then another £300m to get us into the top six then another £300m to get us into the top four - at least not if the aim is to do that in less than 8-10 seasons.

So to an extent we have to be ambitious and try to sell the dream (like we did with Bruno) and buy players that are already top 4-6 quality already because if we spend a huge chunk of our available funds (limited by FFP) on players that are just a bit better than what we have, it's then going to be difficult to find the funds to upgrade all those players in 2/3 seasons.

Obviously there has to be flexibility as we saw in January (the Wood signing is a great example) and if we are really struggling to bring in a priority target (eg Gosens, Lodi) then we just move for a stop-gap (eg Targett) but I think that we might see us really push for players like Bruno who will hopefully be part of the hypothetical top-4 Newcastle squad of 2024/25 (or whenever)

One thing regarding quality vs quantity is that if we get the right quality players in right away then hopefully we dont need to replace half the squad again to get to the next level. Go mostly for players of high quality but players than can still grow with the club bot age and quality wise. Buy it nice or buy it twice.  We obviously need a few players but Rome wasn’t built in a day. Clichy cunt me like..

Get the starting eleven as good as possible in 2-3 windows, and use many of the current players as backup to begin with, with maybe a super promising youngster or two. 

Get Ashworth in to sort out the whole infrastructure and make our academy very good by getting in tons of quality youngsters through the scouting staff and various contacts. We will spend a lot in the beginning now but in a few years we will have some promising quality players coming through hopefully.

8 minutes ago, Ikon said:

One thing regarding quality vs quantity is that if we get the right quality players in right away then hopefully we dont need to replace half the squad again to get to the next level. Go mostly for players of high quality but players than can still grow with the club bot age and quality wise. Buy it nice or buy it twice.  We obviously need a few players but Rome wasn’t built in a day. Clichy cunt me like..

Get the starting eleven as good as possible in 2-3 windows, and use many of the current players as backup to begin with, with maybe a super promising youngster or two. 

Get Ashworth in to sort out the whole infrastructure and make our academy very good by getting in tons of quality youngsters through the scouting staff and various contacts. We will spend a lot in the beginning now but in a few years we will have some promising quality players coming through hopefully.

That's absolutely how I feel and hopefully it's how Staveley etc feel too.

The point is whether signing players better than lower-half PL level (Krafth, arguably Richie isn't even that good) but not quite CL-level is worth it, if our ambition is to become a top four side within four or five years. Players like Targett would fall into that category and although £15m isn't a lot in todays market, that still eats into our FFP-limited available spend and we'd probably have to replace him within a couple of seasons.

It's a pretty bold strategy and it could easily fail if we don't buy well - then you end up with players who were promised a certain level of success (eg Bruno) who want to leave because we are still languishing in midtable and players who ultimately weren't good enough to get us to the top level that we'd have to try and shift (maybe someone like Nunez comes in for £70m on £170k/week and is a total bust).

Edit - I still have to pinch myself that we're even able to speculate about things like this, imagine having this conversation back in September...

Edited by Keegans Export

19 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

The thing with FFP is that we can't spend £300m on players to get us into the top 8, then another £300m to get us into the top six then another £300m to get us into the top four - at least not if the aim is to do that in less than 8-10 seasons.

So to an extent we have to be ambitious and try to sell the dream (like we did with Bruno) and buy players that are already top 4-6 quality already because if we spend a huge chunk of our available funds (limited by FFP) on players that are just a bit better than what we have, it's then going to be difficult to find the funds to upgrade all those players in 2/3 seasons.

Obviously there has to be flexibility as we saw in January (the Wood signing is a great example) and if we are really struggling to bring in a priority target (eg Gosens, Lodi) then we just move for a stop-gap (eg Targett) but I think that we might see us really push for players like Bruno who will hopefully be part of the hypothetical top-4 Newcastle squad of 2024/25 (or whenever)

We actually can.

2 minutes ago, Slim said:

We actually can.

I'm pretty sure we can't, unless we repeatedly manage to sell players for more than their market value when they need to be replaced.

If we spend £300m this coming season (between summer and January windows), even if they're all spread over 5 year contracts, that's still £60m this season, then £60m amortisation in each of the following four seasons, which reduces our available spend by the same amount (eg if we made £100m profit, we'd actually only have £40m to spend due to that amortisation still appearing on the accounts). Obviously that's an oversimplification but that is my understanding of how FFP works.

Guest HTT II

My number one target would be Tammy Abraham of Roma who can play wide right, wide left or centrally in a 3, in a two or as the single focal point up front on his own, he has scored goals everywhere he’s went at numerous levels. He’s quick, strong, athletic, adaptable and has a great attitude and character and he’s still very young.

Appearances/Goals 

2016–2021 Chelsea 58 (21)

2016–2017 Bristol City (loan) 41 (23)

2017–2018 Swansea City (loan) 31 (5)

2018–2019 Aston Villa (loan) 37 (25)

2021–present Roma 33 (15)

National team

2014–2015 England U18 5 (2)

2015–2016 England U19 14 (5)

2016–2019 England U21 25 (9)

2017–present England 10 (3)

114 goals in 255 cub career games thus far, a lot of those games which were from the bench, Championship, Premier League, Serie A

Edited by HTT II

Just now, The College Dropout said:

Signing a £50m fullback suggests a push for European football next season and a CL push the following season.

If true then most definitely. Especially since we have a very good option available for about £15m who has done really well. This would mean that the ambition of the owners is ridiculous high. No waiting, just going for it big time straight away. Time will tell.

1 hour ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I've completely changed my tune on the needs of the squad tbh, last January I thought we needed to completely overhaul our midfield but now I think the best thing going forward is to continue strengthening from the back. Obviously we need a striker too. 

Basically I'm hoping for a GK, CB (at least 1) & a CF who could arguably walk into any team on the planet. Strengthening other areas with youth and/or smart buys.

Who do you suggest as the striker?

2 minutes ago, NUFCPAUL said:

Who do you suggest as the striker?

Not sure tbh, haven't watched much football the past 2 year, I think Zapata is pretty much the perfect striker for what we need but he's over 30 and will cost loads. So anyone like that I suppose.

21 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Signing a £50m fullback suggests a push for European football next season and a CL push the following season.

Not impossible at all when you consider West Ham are still in the running for a CL spot this season.

26 minutes ago, HTT II said:

My number one target would be Tammy Abraham of Roma who can play wide right, wide left or centrally in a 3, in a two or as the single focal point up front on his own, he has scored goals everywhere he’s went at numerous levels. He’s quick, strong, athletic, adaptable and has a great attitude and character and he’s still very young.

Appearances/Goals 

2016–2021 Chelsea 58 (21)

2016–2017 Bristol City (loan) 41 (23)

2017–2018 Swansea City (loan) 31 (5)

2018–2019 Aston Villa (loan) 37 (25)

2021–present Roma 33 (15)

National team

2014–2015 England U18 5 (2)

2015–2016 England U19 14 (5)

2016–2019 England U21 25 (9)

2017–present England 10 (3)

114 goals in 255 cub career games thus far, a lot of those games which were from the bench, Championship, Premier League, Serie A

See for how much he would cost I’m not all that keen on Abraham. Maybe as a wide right forward he could be decent paired with Maxi on the left and either a target man or false none who likes to come deep. But Roma would want what? 60 mil? I’d prefer an Ekitike type up and comer.

Guest HTT II
2 minutes ago, Rafalove said:

See for how much he would cost I’m not all that keen on Abraham. Maybe as a wide right forward he could be decent paired with Maxi on the left and either a target man or false none who likes to come deep. But Roma would want what? 60 mil? I’d prefer an Ekitike type up and comer.

He’d be worth every penny of 60m, guaranteed goals, young, ticks all the boxes and is so versatile. I’ve seen nowt of that French lad other than YouTube clips so can’t comment really! 

Guest HTT II
Just now, Rafalove said:

Same. Though I’m not talking specifically about Ekitike. Just in general a young up and comer who could develop in to something better.

I think Abraham could develop into a wold-class striker or certainly a word-class goalscorer. Rafa wanted him on loan with an option to buy for 20m when we were in the Championship (January window)…

54 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

I'm pretty sure we can't, unless we repeatedly manage to sell players for more than their market value when they need to be replaced.

If we spend £300m this coming season (between summer and January windows), even if they're all spread over 5 year contracts, that's still £60m this season, then £60m amortisation in each of the following four seasons, which reduces our available spend by the same amount (eg if we made £100m profit, we'd actually only have £40m to spend due to that amortisation still appearing on the accounts). Obviously that's an oversimplification but that is my understanding of how FFP works.

Kieron Maguire forecasted that the Magpies’ new owners of PCP Partners, the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia and RB Sports & Media can splash £800m on transfers, spread across the next four years.  

That's without new sponsors or selling player.

13 minutes ago, Slim said:

Kieron Maguire forecasted that the Magpies’ new owners of PCP Partners, the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia and RB Sports & Media can splash £800m on transfers, spread across the next four years.  

That's without new sponsors or selling player.

Really? Have you got a link to that tweet/article - I'm sure I've seen something from him but it was nowhere near £800m and not without additional sponsorship deals.