More transfer rumours

midds

1 minute ago, Weezertron said:

Why aren't the entire league in for Phillips? Us, Villa and ManU.

Price? You'd think this would be his chance for his 'big move'

I think there’s a good chance he wants to stay North. He’s a proper Leeds lad and is really close to his family so I doubt a move south of the Midlands appeals

4 minutes ago, Weezertron said:

City and Liverpool are covered

Chelsea are after Rice once they are allowed to buy

Arsenal have Partey 

Spurs could probably do with him if the reports about them wanting to sell Hojbjerg are true (though I'm not sure that they are)

Then the best of the rest in terms of ambitious clubs leaves the 3 interested in him 

IMO Cornet could play at a higher level. He’s struggled a bit with injuries too.  

Fully fit I think he could get 10-15 goals in this league. 

£17.5m is v. cheap.  1 in 3 goals for a new to the league player in a poor side is v. good. If ASM is worth £40m then so is Cornet.  

Arsenal were after Bruno so they do want a midfielder. partey gets injured a lot too so they would do well but suspect he is not quite their type. I think a Bruno/Philips/Joelinton midfield would be excellent and would have a lot of balance. Joelinton may be ultimately upgradable but i dunno if we will sign more than one more midfielder, Paqueta feels more for inside forward if we do go in for him

2 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Decent price for Nunez 

Kicker has us in for Kalajdzic ourselves. In the last year of his contract at Stuttgart. Plays like a cross between Big Dunc and a newborn foal. 25 million euros should be a no-brainer.

13 minutes ago, Emotic said:

Kicker has us in for Kalajdzic ourselves. In the last year of his contract at Stuttgart. Plays like a cross between Big Dunc and a newborn foal. 25 million euros should be a no-brainer.

That’s some Frankenstein mutha of a striker I’d love to see in the black and white! :indi: 

3 hours ago, 54 said:

Phillips, Bruno & Paqueta as a midfield 3 is pretty decent. 

If we really can go out and get two new starting midfielders then my top choice along with Phillips would be Bissouma. Think he'd be absolutely perfect as the third man in that midfield in terms of the way they complement each other. 

43 minutes ago, Weezertron said:

Maybe because he's not actually that good? He worked well for England in a set-up that worked for him, but there's dozens out there in France/Germany/Holland/Spain/Italy who could do the exact same without the hype or premium he would attract.

Cornet at 17.5 mil isn't a bad signing, he's 25 and looks like he is yet to peak judging from his career stats. 8 goals in 26 games for Burnley this season.

Personally I think we need to be looking above players like him now.

Darwin Nunez should be the level we are attempting to sign, 22 years old, 34 goals in 41 games this season. Weaker league but that's a big gap. Also shows he isn't injury prone and can do it consistently over a whole season and he's only going to get better.

17 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Maybe because he's not actually that good? He worked well for England in a set-up that worked for him, but there's dozens out there in France/Germany/Holland/Spain/Italy who could do the exact same without the hype or premium he would attract.

I agree.

Phillips isn't some amazing talent, he's an above average CDM.

Plenty of those around for 1/3 of his price.

With Darlow and Dubravka potentially leaving and Woodman possibly going out on loan again. Assuming we sign a new #1 Keeper, would Ben Foster be a decent free signing for us? 

4 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

With Darlow and Dubravka potentially leaving and Woodman possibly going out on loan again. Assuming we sign a new #1 Keeper, would Ben Foster be a decent free signing for us? 

Krul or Forster to tick off one of the Academy product boxes for European qualification.

2 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Diogo Costa please. If we replace Dubravka.

Good shout, looked him up after you mentioned him a couple of days ago. Has had a great season and has broken into the Portugal national side, only 22. A lot of good keepers come from that league too, Ederson, Sá, Patricio. 

22 minutes ago, Mountain said:

I agree.

Phillips isn't some amazing talent, he's an above average CDM.

Plenty of those around for 1/3 of his price.

You pay a premium for a player who is a known quantity though.

I'm a fan of Phillips but let's assume he is just above average. Anyone we bring in from abroad at <£10m is going to be a risk, will they adapt to the PL, will they need 6+ months to get used to the pace of the game, how will they settle in England etc. Wheras with Phillips we can just slot him right in there next to Bruno and you know exactly what he is going to do and exactly what his floor is. Obviously we're then hoping that Howe can work a little bit of magic on him too.

Give me him over any sub-£10m DM from elsewhere and I'd be happy.

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Krul or Forster to tick off one of the Academy product boxes for European qualification.

We've got Gillespie for that.

6 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

You pay a premium for a player who is a known quantity though.

I'm a fan of Phillips but let's assume he is just above average. Anyone we bring in from abroad at <£10m is going to be a risk, will they adapt to the PL, will they need 6+ months to get used to the pace of the game, how will they settle in England etc. Wheras with Phillips we can just slot him right in there next to Bruno and you know exactly what he is going to do and exactly what his floor is. Obviously we're then hoping that Howe can work a little bit of magic on him too.

Give me him over any sub-£10m DM from elsewhere and I'd be happy.

If we are going to realistically be challenging for Champions League places within 5 years, I think we need to spend money on players that will be Champions League quality (and above) within 5 years. Players with a huge up side.

I personally like being linked with the likes of Badiashille and Ekitike, etc

They are not there yet, but have huge HUGE upside. 

Yes, Phillips, Tarkowski et al are known, but for me they are stop gap signings. The way that Wood, Targett, Burn etc are. Yes, these players play a very important short term role, but will not be relevant in mid to long term. 

If I had the choice between mid-table with hot youngsters with huge potential, or mid-table with "known quantity", I would take former

Edited by arnonel

Phillips would be a Trippier signing not a Tarkowski, Burn etc. He is a full international player with a much higher value. People here are strange sometimes..

Edited by nufc123

9 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Phillips would be a Trippier signing not a Tarkowski, Burn etc. He is a full international player with a much higher value. People here are strange sometimes..

Imagine this time last year saying meh to Phillips 🤣

The main argument against Phillips is how much should we be paying for a DM, when our defence is already pretty good and we struggle for goals. Phillips' ability at that role is not the question.

If the kitty is easily big enough to cover the attacking upgrades we need, then yes, by all means go for him. If its either/or, then I don't think DM is our biggest problem. Unless there is some relegation clause magic involved, Phillips will cost very good overseas AM money.

You could argue that a better destroyer would get us more possession and more possession would lead to more goals, but I don't think the creativity is there just yet. It will be a bridge we have to cross though. We beat all those teams on that run by them letting us counter attack them. As we get established as a top half side, the opposition will set up differently and we'll have to take the game to them.