More transfer rumours

midds

1 minute ago, Gaztoon said:

Imagine this time last year saying meh to Phillips 🤣

Around the same time everyone outside of Leeds was saying "eh, who's he, how's he got a call up?"

18 minutes ago, arnonel said:

If we are going to realistically be challenging for Champions League places within 5 years, I think we need to spend money on players that will be Champions League quality (and above) within 5 years. Players with a huge up side.

I personally like being linked with the likes of Badiashille and Ekitike, etc

They are not there yet, but have huge HUGE upside. 

Yes, Phillips, Tarkowski et al are known, but for me they are stop gap signings. The way that Wood, Targett, Burn etc are. Yes, these players play a very important short term role, but will not be relevant in mid to long term. 

If I had the choice between mid-table with hot youngsters with huge potential, or mid-table with "known quantity", I would take former

Who is this young midfielder with huge potensial you would have taken over Phillips?

Just now, gjohnson said:

Around the same time everyone outside of Leeds was saying "eh, who's he, how's he got a call up?"

If they didn't know Phillips was quality then.. that's their probs

Philips would be a genuinely transformational signing and absolutely perfect for what we need. It’s weird that there are people on here that aren’t celebrating the prospect of possibly him and DCL playing for us.

When we were linked with Ward-Prowse there were a few saying he wasn’t good enough for us as well(!). Different opinions and all that but I do find it quite bizarre.

Philips is definitely one I'd be hugely impressed if we signed him. He's not a stop gap, he's still young, he can grow and evolve and he was a huge part of the England team that got to the final. 

Would I take him over Paqueta? Probably not but that could just be that I feel Philips is more similar to Bruno and we need a player like Paqueta in our squad. Philips, Paqueta and Bruno would be an unbelievable midfield 3.

Apparently another striker that is on our list is one of my favourite current Super Eagles that finally had a break out season in Germany, getting Union Berlin into Europe. Ex Liverpool striker Taiwo Awoniyi, wo never made an appearance for them as he didn't meet work permit requirements when he was younger.

He has drawn comparisons to Super Eagle legend Rashidi Yekini, but also reminds me a bit of Premier League legend Aiyegbeni Yakubu. He's really powerful and is a modern striker with a really well rounded game. Fantastic character and incredible work ethic and dedication to his game.

https://www.bundesliga.com/en/bundesliga/news/who-is-taiwo-awoniyi-ex-liverpool-striker-union-berlin-nigeria-19470

36 minutes ago, arnonel said:

If we are going to realistically be challenging for Champions League places within 5 years, I think we need to spend money on players that will be Champions League quality (and above) within 5 years. Players with a huge up side.

I personally like being linked with the likes of Badiashille and Ekitike, etc

They are not there yet, but have huge HUGE upside. 

Yes, Phillips, Tarkowski et al are known, but for me they are stop gap signings. The way that Wood, Targett, Burn etc are. Yes, these players play a very important short term role, but will not be relevant in mid to long term. 

If I had the choice between mid-table with hot youngsters with huge potential, or mid-table with "known quantity", I would take former

There's obviously a debate to be had about exactly how good he is, but comparing Kalvin Phillips to Tarkowski is mental.

You also have to balance out the high upside players with more reliable options. Badiashille and Ekitike could both flop, we've seen it plenty of times before, so you need to make sure a couple of signings are an almost nailed-on hit. Bruno was the former (which has paid off obviously), Targett and Burn were the latter. Wood is a bit of a funny one seeing as that was a move out of desperation rather than anything else, hopefully something we won't need to repeat in the summer, as much as I like the bloke.

2 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Suarez on a free anyone? Just confirmed he'll be leaving in June.

He's 35 and scored 11 goals this season.

Nah, there’s enough contagious diseases going round at the moment without him chomping away at people 

3 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Cornet available for £17.5 million if Burnley go down.

There’s 99 reasons not to sign cornet.

I think he’s a bit flakey for one and at times a bit like bambi on Ice. Cream of the crop for me would be someone like Nunes or maybe Schick.

He’s just a bit vanilla. 

2 minutes ago, LV said:

I think he’s a bit flakey for one and at times a bit like bambi on Ice. Cream of the crop for me would be someone like Nunes or maybe Schick.

He’s just a bit vanilla. 

Didn't he recently ask to return to his parent club? Thought he was on loan

Edited by jarrovianmag

2 minutes ago, LV said:

He’s just a bit vanilla. 

Disgusting behaviour 😆

1 minute ago, jarrovianmag said:

Didn't he recently ask to return to his parent club? Thought he was on loan

That turned out to be a Michael Jackson joke and not true 

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Could see Suarez going to Villa but don’t think they need him with Watkins & Ings. We on the otherhand, probably could use him as a stop gap for a year if the right striker wasn’t in reach yet.

Chiellini is leaving juventus aswell....imagine 😆

7 minutes ago, LV said:

He’s just a bit vanilla. 

The release clause was music to my ears, but I've heard he likes to blow his own trumpet. That would brass me off.

I think it’s easy to turn your nose up at PL players in favour of players abroad. 

I remember Fred, Xhaka, Felipe Anderson, Haller, Lamela, Werner, Jorginho were all meant to be the dogs bollocks. And they’re not. 

You look at Arsenals central midfield. Xhaka, Partey - adjust for football inflation. These are 2 £50m signings. Not the £10m cheapy abroad. Lokongo was even £20m.  

Phillips for £40m is a good deal. 

15 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

The release clause was music to my ears, but I've heard he likes to blow his own trumpet. That would brass me off.

:lol: