More transfer rumours

midds

5 hours ago, Barnes23 said:

Henderson would be underwhelming, not convinced he's even as good as Dubravka as things stand. 

Looked good at Sheffield United under Wilder in part because of their defensive setup, similar to the way that goalkeepers enhance their reputation at Burnley (low block, limiting of space, inviting long-range efforts from the opposition). Aside from that, there's little evidence right now that he's a top six level goalkeeper - and that's the level we should be looking at if we're looking to improve on Dubravka (imo, not a priority this summer). 

I agree. That being said I'll be happy about it. More signings please barkeep. I can't be the only one that enjoys signings regardless.

2 hours ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

None of Villa's CBs have performced well this season. I always thought Hause was their better CB but he's been poor as well when Ive seen him. Wouldnt take any of them. Dont rate McGinn either, doesnt show up for the most part imo.

IMO McGinn is the archetypal top half prem footballer but will never, ever be a top player. He's decent enough but there's no genuine top quality there, and there never will be.

He's a Mark Noble type of player. He was just good enough to hang around but have you ever seen him on a team sheet and thought, "Oh, he's a threat, he'll boss the midfield, he'll keep us at bay" No for me, but maybe I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, Mountain said:

IMO McGinn is the archetypal top half prem footballer but will never, ever be a top player. He's decent enough but there's no genuine top quality there, and there never will be.

He's a Mark Noble type of player. He was just good enough to hang around but have you ever seen him on a team sheet and thought, "Oh, he's a threat, he'll boss the midfield, he'll keep us at bay" No for me, but maybe I'm wrong.

Oersonally I think McGinn is a bottom half premier league player. Wouldn't touch him or Mings with a barge pole. Neither are of the standard to which I think this club is trying to achieve.

6 minutes ago, Gaztoon said:

I would like to file a motion 

I motion that the word underwhelming as of now is banned until the end of the transfer window.

Along with ‘Tarkowski’.

4 hours ago, et tu brute said:

Oersonally I think McGinn is a bottom half premier league player. Wouldn't touch him or Mings with a barge pole. Neither are of the standard to which I think this club is trying to achieve.

Long term I think the club is trying to achieve top four and trophies, but realistically that won't happen quickly. Most of the top players will opt for clubs in the Champions League, and so some of our targets will be beyond our reach, even if we're able to compete financially. And there seems to be more impetus behind the enforcing of FFP than previously. If it happens, it'll happen in stages.

I think Tarkowski is as good an option as MIngs and will be much cheaper. Neither of them are what you might call 'top class', but I doubt whether that's a realistic aim just yet anyway. However, we don't have a player like McGinn, and whilst his ball-winning abilities are his chief asset, he's not at all bad when it comes to distribution. Villa will be very reluctant to let him go, but if there's a chance, I'd sign him.

Tarkowski, Henderson/City’s young keeper, Ndicka, Targett, Paquetta, Isak and Ekitike.

That’s what I’m predicting and would be delighted with that. I would really like a defensive midfielder and Hickey, but we won’t be able to do everything this summer. If Phillips becomes available for a knock down price due to Leeds relegation that might change our plans slightly.

Edited by Whitley mag

Just now, Ikon said:

Need a proper natural right sided forward/winger of good quality. 

I think this aswell but I’ve got a feeling if they shell out for Paquetta that’ll not happen, unless they go for a young prospect like Johnson from Forrest. I wonder if Ekitike or that other young French striker we we’re linked with might be used as a wide forward at times.

In terms of CBs we currently have Burn (will be kept as just signed), Lascelles (will be kept as known to be good leader/around the dressing room), Schar (will be kept as just signed new contract), Fern (will likely leave), Clark (will leave). Leaves us with 3 out and out CBs so it could be possible that we only sign 1 CB this summer, its unlikely we will need more than 4 using this 4-3-3 when we will be moving 2 on anyway.. 2 that havnt played under Howe since Jan. Either we spend big on 1 or we may even sign Tarkowski and just leave it at that, saving funds for areas that are probably more key issues right now. 

Edited by Nine

8 minutes ago, Nine said:

In terms of CBs we currently have Burn (will be kept as just signed), Lascelles (will be kept as known to be good leader/around the dressing room), Schar (will be kept as just signed new contract), Fern (will likely leave), Clark (will leave). Leaves us with 3 out and out CBs so it could be possible that we only sign 1 CB this summer, its unlikely we will need more than 4 using this 4-3-3 when we will be moving 2 on anyway.. 2 that havnt played under Howe since Jan. Either we spend big on 1 or we may even sign Tarkowski and just leave it at that, saving funds for areas that are probably more key issues right now. 

If we are operating with a more conservative budget then I totally think they'll sign Tarkowski and leave it at that. Means you have Schar, Burn, Tarkowski and Lascelles. First the three to fight it out over the starting slots, Lascelles is fine as backup. Save as much money for a striker as possible. I reckon (given we have a solid 8th/7th/6th finish) we will go out and try to get a highly rated, younger (likely European) CB.