More transfer rumours

midds

3 minutes ago, STM said:

My guess is that the fee isn't correct. It might be 30 though.

I reckon we will loan him, with an agreed fee the following summer, with loads of caveats and clauses.

I suppose we’re hungry for English players if that’s true. I’m sure we could get, say….Alessio Cragno for a fraction of that price. Or Strakosha on a free. 

13 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Seems like Nketiah isn’t staying, wouldn’t be surprised to see him here.

Arsenal completely messed up his situation. What an end to the season he's had.

Just when he seems to be figuring it out they are going to lose him for nothing. No idea why he hasn't been getting more opportunities to play there, especially earlier this season.

Would be great timing to pick him up now if he ends up with us. Think he's looked class recently.

Just now, KaKa said:

Arsenal completely messed up his situation. What an end to the season he's had.

Just when he seems to be figuring it out they are going to lose him for nothing. No idea why he hasn't been getting more opportunities to play there, especially earlier this season.

Would be great timing to pick him up now if he ends up with us. Think he's looked class recently.

He was supposedly very close to coming in January and I’m guessing we have kept up contact with him. 

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

He was supposedly very close to coming in January and I’m guessing we have kept up contact with him. 

Now you mention it, I remember reading Arsenal pulled the plug on letting him leave as they wanted to wait till the summer to get a new striker, but wasn't sure if that was true. Might have been due to that it didn't pan out then.

Where did you hear he was close to joining us?

1 minute ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Expecting a good amount of activity next week, more so in terms of outgoings. I think a few deals will already have been agreed.

Nothing close according to Howe on Friday 

Just now, KaKa said:

Now you mention it, I remember reading Arsenal pulled the plug on letting him leave as they wanted to wait till the summer to get a new striker, but wasn't sure if that was true. Might have been due to that it didn't pan out then.

Where did you hear he was close to joining us?

It was Luke Edwards who reported it, he was up in Newcastle a day or 2 before the window closed. At this point Arsenal expected to sign a striker but that didn’t happen so they blocked the move.

Had just come to terms with putting the phone and computer away and spending more time off it this summer. 

Ah well. Another year of my kids childhood around zombie dad. Lol

"Quiet children, Newsnow is refreshing."

Edited by toontownman

22 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Seems like Nketiah isn’t staying, wouldn’t be surprised to see him here.

Lazy speculation on my end, but would be more surprised to see him here rather than Leeds with him having had a good season with them preivously and leaving Arsenal specifically due to not getting enough playing time, something we hopefully can't guarantee him next season.

5 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

It was Luke Edwards who reported it, he was up in Newcastle a day or 2 before the window closed. At this point Arsenal expected to sign a striker but that didn’t happen so they blocked the move.

Ah, right. Very interesting :thup: 

Transfers are like a drug... just give me one hit, just one.... OK, that was so nice.... you can't just give me one though, come on give me another :lol:

Just now, Holmesy said:

Watched the Leeds game with some mates who are Leeds fans today and they’re all convinced Kalvin Phillips to us is as good as done

We aren’t paying the likely £50/60 million fee for him.

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Because there is much better value to be had elsewhere, plus the bulk of our budget will go on a striker.

Not convinced tbh. I think he’s exactly the player Howe will want. We’ll find a way.

I agree Phillips is exactly what Howe will want but for 60m, where we are, the club will want 2 players...ish.

It's different when you are already in the top 4 because you can start to pluck the individuals who will make a difference. We are trying to build a squad, therefore we need to spread our budget across a few players.

With all that said, there's a lot we can do to secure Phillips without outlaying 60m (if that was his fee) in one go. For example, if you sign the guy for 60m and you are giving him a 5 year deal, you could structure payments over those 5 years 12m or so per year. We could pay Leeds 30m upfront and then more payments after certain appearances.

Wasn't it mentioned that we wanted to put "winning the champions league", into a deal? :lol: Whilst that may be fanciful right now, we could offer 10m to a club when we have qualified for the champions league. I cant imagine many clubs laughing at us now.