More transfer rumours

midds

5 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

I still think some people are going to be very disappointed by our window. I don't think we will spend quite the sums some think based on how much Howe thinks dressing room unity is important I really don't think he wants to change a huge amount of the squad. The Tarkovski links might be because CB is no longer a priority with Schar and Burn playing perfectly well so makes sense to add depth if we can shift Fernandez and means don't have to spend what it normally costs to get a premier league level defender. Of course I would like a lot of changes, and I really hope certain positions are upgraded. I do doubt the £50m figure, but I don't think it will be thaaat far out.

Agree with this. And actually think it's the correct way to go. If you take results from Jan, Howe has taken a 90m investment in the team and turned that into (in the second half of the season) the fourth best side in the league. We need to keep the core of the squad (by that I mean the likes of Schar, Trippier, Bruno, Joe, ASM, a fit Wilson) together next season and start to evolve around them. 

To that, I think a free deal for Tarkowski makes sense. 

I think if we can get Ekitike for the price agreed in Jan, that makes sense. Back up/long term successor to Wilson, but can also play wide. 

Leeds survival makes it unlikely now, but if we could get Phillips for anything less than £40m, we should do it. 

Targett is a huge bargain if we can get him for £15m (£13m minus the loan fee)

I honestly feel the above, along with the continual improvement we have seen under Howe so far, will be good enough for 7th, which I think is the goal as it gets them back on the European stage (conference). Which in turn opens up more commercial avenues, and better players. If they do this correctly FFP should never be the problem for us that it has been for Everton. 

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Nobody expects us to spend £500m in one window FFS. 

Oh the usual suspects in the media will say we do.

Edited by Gaztoon

My take from that SR thread is that it is clearly sensible to be prudent (insert your own figure as to what prudent looks like) to a degree.

Obviously we’re looking to improve step-by-step, and we can probably reach the next step (lower top half) with the addition of players ~£40m and under, and the kind of wages they command.

Once we’re in a position to genuinely challenge the top 6 / top 4, you’re probably looking at players that will improve us being ~£40m and upwards (and associated wages), so we’re going to have to have a bit in reserve to allow us to get them, before the CL money starts rolling in on a regular basis.

Obviously the above is a very simplistic and linear take, and there’s always anomalies, but I think that’ll probably be our overarching long-term view.

2 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Would be over the moon with 4 more Bruno-like £40m signings tbh.

If we get four more Bruno-like signings we’d finish in the top four. Be amazed if we get even two Bruno-level players 

5 minutes ago, gbandit said:

If we get four more Bruno-like signings we’d finish in the top four. Be amazed if we get even two Bruno-level players 

Yeah, shocked we were able to get him for the price we did. What would his market value be now after just 4 months tearing up the PL? £60-£70m surely.

44 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

So what he’s saying is our budget isn’t 50 million ? I’m shocked.

£50m amortised (including wages) is approximately the effect of Willock + our January signings according to the Swiss Ramble thread. So if we did the same business again, that would technically be a £50m impact on the accounts :dontknow:

That was just over £100m spent, although there will be variables on the amortisation depending on the contract lengths. 

Guest reefatoon
13 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Would be over the moon with 4 more Bruno-like £40m signings tbh.

I'd be over the moon with a similar window to January. Good solid players with the right character.

30 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

I still think some people are going to be very disappointed by our window. I don't think we will spend quite the sums some think based on how much Howe thinks dressing room unity is important I really don't think he wants to change a huge amount of the squad. The Tarkovski links might be because CB is no longer a priority with Schar and Burn playing perfectly well so makes sense to add depth if we can shift Fernandez and means don't have to spend what it normally costs to get a premier league level defender. Of course I would like a lot of changes, and I really hope certain positions are upgraded. I do doubt the £50m figure, but I don't think it will be thaaat far out.

A top striker is our priority and that will be minimum 30 million, and that’s being conservative. 

1 minute ago, ponsaelius said:

Convinced it will be Targett and 4-5 Bruno level signings tbh. 

Think that’s closer to the reality. 

We have some solid players who can drop from first team to bench. I don’t think we need to look at anyone who isn’t Bruno level. 

I’m incredibly laid back about this summer. I totally trust the club to get it right. The business we did and the way we went about January was impeccable IMO.

It’s obviously fun to speculate on how much we’ll spend, but there’s a long road ahead. If we’re able to box clever now it gives us much greater scope in 12/24 months time when you’d hope NUFC is going to be a much more attractive project for players who will demand big money.

The last thing I want is to piss away this golden opportunity and end up like Everton - handing over enormous sums for name players with little regard for whether they want to be here or are actually any good.

We were going after top class players in January. Paqueta, Botman, Carlos etc. These are £30-40 million players and we were bidding the money. We only stepped down from that level of players because of the difficulty we had attracting players in a relegation battle. And we still managed to get Bruno.

It's a clean slate now and we basically have a blank canvas for any new signing to come into. A far, far more attractive proposition.

Personally I don't think it's worth wasting any money on squad players or fillers. Get top class players of the right age and let the existing starters become squad options.

Edited by ponsaelius

Considering how bad a season it's actually been, we've put across probably the best image of ourselves we could to potential signings imo.

Fans have been great, owners have been good in stoking the positivity around the club and it looks a whole more tasty prospect for those on the fence.

Can we start a list of those who think/ have already accepted we won't spend more than say £50m, just so we can provide them with extra sheets if it ends up being the case.