More transfer rumours

midds

37 minutes ago, KaKa said:

With all the recent Dwight McNeil talk, thought it was interesting where he ranks in the successful dribbles per game scale on this chart.

Also, as infuriating and frustrating as it would inevitably be, this chart shows just how outrageous it would be having Max on the left and Traore on the right from a dribbling perspective. Non stop highlight reels.

Where does Sarr feature? Lots of shit performance in yellow.

20 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Where does Sarr feature? Lots of shit performance in yellow.

He's 28th with 1.5 successful dribbles per game.

In comparison the top 5 are:

St. Maximin - 4.3

Adama Traore - 4.2

Luis Diaz and Dwight McNeil - 2.4

Wilfred Zaha - 2.3

Joao Pedro - 2.2

29 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Also, it's not like France have a shortage of wide pacey forwards who fancy a dribble. 

Honestly don't think there's many better dribblers than Maxi in Europe, maybe even the world, it's his decision making which is his weak point, along with his lack of defensive discipline. At that level those things matter. It will be interesting to see if they improve with better players in front of him next season, but his international coach doesn't seem to think he's capable of it.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

Honestly don't think there's many better dribblers than Maxi in Europe, maybe even the world, it's his decision making which is his weak point, along with his lack of defensive discipline. At that level those things matter. It will be interesting to see if they improve with better players in front of him next season, but his international coach doesn't seem to think he's capable of it.

He can beat anyone down a blind ally, are those stats with a positive end result or purely beating the man?

Don't know why every player has to be painted with a broad brush, ie: Don't want players from X.  It has to be much more nuanced than that.  How old?  What style/tactics did his team play?  Will his skills transfer to how we play? On and on.  That is why we have scouts and other evaluators.  Identify a pool of players that fit our needs and winnow it down to players who become targets.  If you see a player that has skills that you can use who cares where they came from?

Edited by Consortium of one

https://www.bristolworld.com/sport/football/bristol-city/newcastle-united-monitoring-bristol-city-prospect-after-under-23s-breakthrough-3736015

Newcastle United are monitoring the progress of Bristol City prospect Reuben McAllister, BristolWorld can reveal.

The Magpies are one of several Premier League clubs said to be keen on a move for the attacking midfielder and there is also interest from major clubs in Scotland.

4 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

https://www.bristolworld.com/sport/football/bristol-city/newcastle-united-monitoring-bristol-city-prospect-after-under-23s-breakthrough-3736015

Newcastle United are monitoring the progress of Bristol City prospect Reuben McAllister, BristolWorld can reveal.

The Magpies are one of several Premier League clubs said to be keen on a move for the attacking midfielder and there is also interest from major clubs in Scotland.

Sign him and loan him to the gas

50 minutes ago, Consortium of one said:

Don't know why every player has to be painted with a broad brush, ie: Don't want players from X.  It has to be much more nuanced than that.  How old?  What style/tactics did his team play?  Will his skills transfer to how we play? On and on.  That is why we have scouts and other evaluators.  Identify a pool of players that fit our needs and winnow it down to players who become targets.  If you see a player that has skills that you can use who cares where they came from?

Absolutely man. I think it should be a point of emphasis as a remit for the scouting team to try and identify talents that are being stifled due to the circumstances they are in, and who could potentially flourish in different conditions.

Liverpool are probably the best right now at bringing all sorts of players in. Big money signings, young talents, players from mid table clubs, players from relegated clubs... everything, and they all contribute. I already talked about Robertson and Wijnaldum from relegated teams, but even the Jota signing was exceptional, as at the time although he was solid for Wolves, no one really anticipated that he would be so much more dangerous for Liverpool, but they saw something in him that they felt would translate to their system.

Edited by KaKa

Big assumption, but if we were to get Pope, Botman, and Ekitike in addition to Targett...

a] Would we need to sign one, two, three, or more players?
b] Which position(s) would you prioritise?
c] What level of signing (examples encouraged) would we need to make in that position/those position(s)?

...for you to be a 10/10 for satisfaction with our summer business?

For me:

GK: Pope
CB: Botman
LB: Targett
AM: Paqueta
LW/ST: Ekitike
LW/ST: Danjuma

I know I'm a greedy fuck, but this would be it for me from the players we've been linked with more than once. If there were only two more coming they'd need to be Bruno level.

That'd leave us with the old "on paper" strongest XI of:

Pope

Trippier Schar Botman Targett

Joelinton Guimarães

Saint-Maximin Paqueta Danjuma

Wilson

With a "backup" XI of:

Dubravka

Krafth Lascelles Burn Lewis

S. Longstaff Shelvey

Almiron Willock Fraser

Ekitike

And four spares:

Darlow (no worries if Gillespie), Dummett, Murphy, Wood.

I don’t think signing Pope, Botman, and Ekitike really improve us from a first team point of view. Obviously looking at the squad it’s better than relying on darlow, fede and wood but it still makes us a mid table team.

9 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

I don’t think signing Pope, Botman, and Ekitike really improve us from a first team point of view. Obviously looking at the squad it’s better than relying on darlow, fede and wood but it still makes us a mid table team.

These are my thoughts as well, I was and still am hoping for some more top quality signings in the Bruno mould.

5 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

These are my thoughts as well, I was and still am hoping for some more top quality signings in the Bruno mould.

Same here. Apparently we can't attract better though. And laughed at for suggesting otherwise??

9 minutes ago, jack j said:

Same here. Apparently we can't attract better though. And laughed at for suggesting otherwise??

Seriously? Do you genuinely believe Bruno is a one off and we can't attract that quality again this window?

I still think we need another striker as well as Ekitike. He's very young and might not hit the ground running, then we've Wilson who will probably be out for 12 weeks before October. Suddenly Wood might be finding his way back into the starting 11. :scared: 

I find it strange that all the noise about Ekitike being a special kid, and all there is its us and some whisper from PSG and Dortmund. I am not sold on him at all. All the clips reminds me of the Joelinton clips. Why are we always after big strikers with not enough pace. Why not the David type of striker? Same goes for Botman. Its us and Milan. The Milan link is strong so he cant be a bad player. But as Shearergol says we are not nailed on top 10 with these signings.