More transfer rumours

midds

1 minute ago, Holmesy said:

Seems pretty reasonable all things considered. He's shown he can play at this level, he's young and in today's market £30m is not a lot for a striker

He scored 6 PL goals last season.

That's not the level we want. You're gambling on a lot of promise which he does have.

12 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

That's not the level we want. You're gambling on a lot of promise which he does have.

I think most the strikers in the 30m price range are going to be a big gamble. 

17 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I think West Ham are very good. Zouma is the defender we hope Botman can be. Bowen is the wide forward we hope ASM can become. Rice, Soucek is the midfield duo we hope to be better than this season etc.

They have Europe again which is an issue. But if we finish above them, I will be v. happy. I expect them to compete well again.

I’ll be disappointed if Botman isn’t miles better than Zouma mind. 

The good thing is you don’t just compare players with a team to see who will finish higher. They’re a good team of course, but the fact is we didn’t finish that far behind them after over a third of a season of Bruce. 

9 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

The good thing is you don’t just compare players with a team to see who will finish higher. They’re a good team of course, but the fact is we didn’t finish that far behind them after over a third of a season of Bruce. 

I think Zouma is class.

Second sentence is true. My point is West Ham aren't a team better than the sum of their parts - simply over achieving. They have genuine quality throughout their team and especially through the spine.

From about March - West Ham started focussing on EL and they ended the season gassed out. They spent the whole season in the top 7 and knew worst case scenario they would finish 7th - which they did.

Same thing with Leicester. Pretty poor throughout the season, gave up on the league for at least 6 weeks. Finished semi strongly after getting KO'd out of Europe to try and salvage the season. No European football - they will be better next season. The gap between us is more than the 3 points we saw imo.

Edited by The College Dropout

30 minutes ago, jonny1403 said:

Certainly doable. But West Ham aren't a top 6 team.

Yeah well I think top 6 is probably beyond us this season, a reasonable aim should be 7-8th.

8 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

:lol: Apologies but perhaps set your expectations slightly lower. Zouma is one of the best CB’s in the PL, man; we’d be very lucky if, at 22, he’s anywhere near as good.

59 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I would be very happy with this guy. Not really sure why he doesn't get more hype, because his numbers the last two years at Lens have been really good for a teenager.

He's smaller than Ekitike as he's listed at about 5 ft 9, but he's got that low centre of gravity and is stocky and explosive. Looks a well rounded forward that can hold off players, run with the ball down the channels and strike the ball well with both feet.

Edited by KaKa

32 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I guess it’s more of a question of his potential rather than his current abilities. The lad is 20 years old, and he can still improve a lot, or at least that’s what our scouting team might be thinking based on the news. 

while scoring 6 goals for Southhampton might sound low, that’s pretty much around his xG, so it’s not that bad as it seems more of a statement of Southhampton being unproductive in creating scoring opportunities rather than Broja being wasteful in front of the goal. 

Broja seems to be our second target after Ekitike, and it is clear we are targeting only youngsters with potential up front as Wilson still seems to be our first option for next season. 

in the end, 30m isn’t much for a decent striker in the current market, let alone a 20 year old with potential. 

Edited by Solitude20

16 minutes ago, McCormick said:

:lol: Apologies but perhaps set your expectations slightly lower. Zouma is one of the best CB’s in the PL, man; we’d be very lucky if, at 22, he’s anywhere near as good.

I didn’t mean immediately. 

12 minutes ago, Solitude20 said:

I guess it’s more of a question of his potential rather than his current abilities. The lad is 20 years old, and he can still improve a lot, or at least that’s what our scouting team might be thinking based on the news. 

while scoring 6 goals for Southhampton might sound low, that’s pretty much around his xG, so it’s not that bad as it seems more of a statement of Southhampton being unproductive in creating scoring opportunities rather than Broja being wasteful in front of the goal. 

Broja seems to be our second target after Ekitike, and it is clear we are targeting only youngsters with potential up front as Wilson still seems to be our first option for next season. 

in the end, 30m isn’t much for a decent striker in the current market, let alone a 20 year old with potential. 

Whilst that's fair to an extent, players are also responsible for their own XG; making better runs or being in the right place will improve it greatly, and a low XG may indicate he's not doing that as well as he might.

28 minutes ago, Solitude20 said:

Someone described his finishing as streaky earlier in this thread. While I don't know much about him personally, for £30m you'd want to know the lad can finish consistently. I'm not saying he can't, like I said I don't know much about him, but I assume Nickson or whoever will have a good idea.

16 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

There was a report earlier in the summer linking us to Tomas so maybe true. Ekitike, Broja and Tomas are quite different in age.

Wasn't there someone on here who had heard we were scouting him?

Seems a strange one considering his profile.

Edited by The Prophet

4 hours ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Some of the forwards we’ve been linked with, in one place (updated):

Strikers 

Barbosa, 25yrs. 88 in 137 for Flamengo. 5 in 18 caps for Brazil. Market value £23.4m (probs add 10-15% to all estimates).

Calvert-Lewin, 25yrs.  45 in 164 for Everton. 4 in 11 for England. Market value £36m.

Broja, 20yrs. 6 in 32 for Southampton, previous 10 in 30 for Vitesse. 4 in 14 for Albania. Market value £19.8m. 

Osimhen, 22yrs. 24 in 51 for Napoli, previous 13 in 27 for Lille. 15 in 22 for Nigeria. Market value £55.8m. 
Ekitike, 20yrs. 10 in 26 for Reims, also 3 in 11 Vejle BK (loan). 0 in 6 France U20. 
Isak, 22yrs. 32 in 103 for Real Sociedad, previous 18 in 33 (in Germany mainly 2nd tier). 9 in 37 for Sweden. Market value £27m.

Gabriel, 17 yrs. 0 in 54 Santos. 1 in 12 (Brazil u15 and u17). Market value £9m.

Kalimuendo, 20yrs. 19 in 60 for Lens, previous 0 in 3 for PSG. 13 in 24 for France u17/u21. Market value £16.2m. 
Raúl de Tomás, 27 yrs. 44 in 85 for Espanyol, previous 82 in 128 in three Spanish loan deals from Real Madrid. 0 in 4 for Spain. Market value £22.5m. 

Wingers 

Gordon, 21yrs. 4 in 49 for Everton. 4 in 7 caps for England U21. Market value £18m. 

Diaby,  22yrs. 22 in 92 for Leverkusen, previous 2 in 25 for PSG. 0 in 8 caps for France. Market value £54m. 

Paquetá, 25yrs. 18 in 65 for Lyon, previous 1 in 37 for Milan. 7 in 33 caps for Brazil. Market value £31.5m. 

Danjuma, 25 yrs. 10 in 23 for Villarreal, previous 15 in 47 for Bournemouth. 2 in 6 caps for Netherlands. Market value £45m. 

Hudson-Odoi, 21yrs. 4 in 72 for Chelsea. 0 in 3 full caps for England; 4 in 9 U21. Market value £22.8m.

Harrison, 25yrs. 26 in 154 for Leeds. 0 in 2 for England U21. Market value £16.2m.

Sarr, 24yrs. 23 in 89 for Watford, previous 13 in 59 for Rennes. 10 in 47 for Senegal. Market value £24.3m.

Asensio, 26 yrs. 28 in 160 for Real Madrid, previous 11 in 90 (Mallorca & Espanyol). 1 in 28 for Spain. Market value £36m.

Today’s rumblings added…

Just now, The Prophet said:

Wasn't there someone on here who had heard we were shouting him?

Seems a strange one considering his profile.

Yes there were some noise about him. As you say the age thing is a different direction from Broja and Ekitike. But so are Calvert-Lewin, so who knows.

1 minute ago, nufc123 said:

Yes there were some noise about him. As you say the age thing is a different direction from Broja and Ekitike. But so are Calvert-Lewin, so who knows.

Kalimuendo would be more Etikite replacement, de Tomas finished article though more ‘high-level’ journeyman for now than marquee 

36 minutes ago, Solitude20 said:

Aye that;s my point. The fee is almost entirely based on potential and the fact when Broja does good things - it looks good.

Players contribute to their own Xg through movement. He and Che Adams Xg is the same (both fairly low) with Adams scoring more goals. 

I preferred Hugo because he could play in a couple of positions. I'd rather DCL at £40m than Broja at 30m.

Broja with an option - I like a lot.

Just now, Coffee_Johnny said:

Kalimuendo would be more Etikite replacement, de Tomas finished article though more ‘high-level’ journeyman for now than marquee 

Tomas and Wilson would be very good but Wilson is first choice here so would he come?

1 minute ago, nufc123 said:

Tomas and Wilson would be very good but Wilson is first choice here so would he come?

Last quarter of career, no doubt markedly improved finances, looks like he backs himself, I reckon he’d come and compete. 

1 minute ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

Last quarter of career, no doubt markedly improved finances, looks like he backs himself, I reckon he’d come and compete. 

Hes very good so yeah i guess he would take up the fight.