More transfer rumours

midds

3 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

We're not signing Paqueta. I imagine he's never even been seriously considered. It's a link that's been entirely generated online by people who see how close he and Bruno is and assume he must be signing because of that alone. 

Or, yknow, we were interested in him even before signing Bruno and people being aware of their friendship…

https://amp.marca.com/en/football/ligue-1/2021/12/21/61c1e4df46163fbf328b45a1.html

40 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Think that's a little harsh. Bad timing with the injury towards the end of the season, but before that he was running himself into the ground every game under Howe. Looked way fitter as well. 

But like I said, two years. There's a decent player in there somewhere, but he really needs to prove he can stay fit before anything else. Personally I wouldn't want to be relying on it. Get a RW in. Now.

12 minutes ago, Alberto2005 said:

Seems to me Pacqueta is a no.10 and doesn't really fit into our system. He can probably play at the tip of a 3 man midfield but it's a lot of money to spend on a player for the sake of it.

Signing a Full Brazil International for the sake of it -  wow ….just wow 

😮 

1 minute ago, TRon said:

Sounds like a leak from Lyon tbh, maybe trying to push the price up.

Maybe. Back in December when this was from, they were trying to keep him though.

10 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

We're not signing Paqueta. I imagine he's never even been seriously considered. It's a link that's been entirely generated online by people who see how close he and Bruno is and assume he must be signing because of that alone. 

It’s not 

Chris Waugh confirmed we enquired about him (Jan) before Bruno 

1 minute ago, Manxst said:

Maybe. Back in December when this was from, they were trying to keep him though.

Is there any reason you are posting articles from last year?

These stories from way before Jan likely all come from the same one source/original story. Probably either from Lyon themselves, or agent chat. Back in December/Jan one of the main things we heard about was how they're casting their net wide. Maybe there was an initial enquiry, who knows. But since then (and especially this Summer) all the links have been fan driven. Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if he signed. It's just not going to happen. At least not in this window. 

Just now, Nine said:

Il say it again, I think the Paqueta links were a smokescreen for Bruno. If we really wanted him then we’d be hearing more about him now, it’s not happening.

How does that actually work ? We really want Bruno so we bid for Paqueta so they let us have Bruno instead ? I don't get it.

8 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

If you go back to late December/early Jan you can likely find that same type of article linking us to every player in Europe.

Did they all say we had a bid rejected or that the player rejected it ?

Edited by madras

4 minutes ago, madras said:

How does that actually work ? We really want Bruno so we bid for Paqueta so they let us have Bruno instead ? I don't get it.

No, we never bid for Paqueta :lol: It’s a pretty common practise.

Fake links are leaked while we work on the deal for the player we actually want.

Edited by Nine

13 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

Signing a Full Brazil International for the sake of it -  wow ….just wow 

😮

It wouldn't make sense to buy players that won't fit into our system regardless of how good they are.