More transfer rumours

midds

19 minutes ago, BennyBlanco said:

Maddison would be an absolute dream of a signing. Sub-question - do any of you think we are purposely targeting English talent over foreign imports or is it just coincidence that the lions share of the signings have all been English?

I won’t go over this again because everyone get all upset, but it’s a Howe strategy no doubt about it. 

It’ll work up to a certain point, with Maddisons and Trippiers, but we’ll need a lot less Burns and Targetts moving forward.

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

To be fair, Maddison and Paqueta have the same major weakness in that they go missing in games. Its to be expected of those number ten types.

Especially when they don’t play for us

This squad 'refresh' that Rodgers is on about seems weird.

Can't get rid of the dead wood, so be prepared to sell your better players and gamble on replacing them with better. Unless they've already lined up some exciting new talent, it seems a bit risky.

Also, you'd have to wonder why Madison might be keen on the move - we're not a step up on Leicester at the minute.

Mind you, that bit came from Luke so the likely source is whatever just came into his head that he thought would get most reaction. 

6 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

I won’t go over this again because everyone get all upset, but it’s a Howe strategy no doubt about it. 

It’ll work up to a certain point, with Maddisons and Trippiers, but we’ll need a lot less Burns and Targetts moving forward.

Part of me wonders if the strategy will be to get a base squad with players in the Premier League that actively improve us, and know the league in players like Burn and Targett, obviously Maddison is a cut above them, but you know what I mean, and then when we have a base squad, start dipping into the European market only signing one or two Bruno type players a Window in that £30m to £40m range.

Would be a decent strategy to be honest.

16 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

What is Howe's strategy then, make me upset please :lol:

Is it buying players for great value with Premiership experience when we desperately need them?

Edited by Hanshithispantz

This bid alone should cheer a few people up. It shows that a) there isn't a limited budget, its about getting value and b) they are prepared to sign quality players in positions thar you might not think are priorities.

Maddison would be a dream signing.

24 minutes ago, 54 said:

He feels that sort of player where you love his shithousery if he plays for you, but is despised by everyone else. 

A bit like Gordon at Everton, although I think that's more to do with his face :lol:

I don't like anyone's shithousery. It's been said that character is one of the main things we're looking at when considering a player.

Struggle to see how a cheating diving prick ties in with that philosophy, unless it's not a particular aspect of character that's considered important.

Guest HTT II
32 minutes ago, 54 said:

Because we've been linked to him over the last few days and he probably knows he'll be inundated with questions about us? :lol:

I hope you don’t think I was calling you a gobshite mind ha ha 

Just now, Hanshithispantz said:

What us Howe's strategy the, make me upset please :lol:

Is it buying players for great value with Premiership experience when we desperately need them?

So upset you can’t type :lol: 

I was referring to when I pointed out Howe’s transfer record and our business so far earlier this year and a few got really upset.

Like I said back then and repeating now, it’ll work to get us to a certain level but due to such a limited pot of quality British players, that aren’t already playing for a top four side, we’ll need to revise that strategy within only a year or two and hopefully we do.

3 minutes ago, 54 said:

Part of me wonders if the strategy will be to get a base squad with players in the Premier League that actively improve us, and know the league in players like Burn and Targett, obviously Maddison is a cut above them, but you know what I mean, and then when we have a base squad, start dipping into the European market only signing one or two Bruno type players a Window in that £30m to £40m range.

Would be a decent strategy to be honest.

I’m not convinced by Burn at all. Targett was an improvement because anyone would have been over Dummett. Wood was definitely a Howe recommendation and no improvement.

It’s a fine strategy for now as long as it’s ditched relatively soon because it’ll move us into the top half but not beyond that for the reasons already outlined.

Attempts to sign Ekitike, Carlos, Botman, Bruno and some other links give me some confidence it’ll be more of a blended approach.