Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

Totally fine with Wood has sub striker, if we stay up. We need to spend big and get a class striker next season with Wilson and Wood as back up, with maybe a young prospect in.

Edited by samptime29

5 hours ago, TRon said:

This. He's done a job, and at the end of the day if we thought spending £25m on him would keep us up, we'd all have took it in a heartbeat.

But that still doesn't make him good enough for where we hope to be next season, he'll become a squad player, and we'll bring in a top quality striker who has everything a club with CL ambitions needs.

I think that was the exact reasoning behind it. We "overpaid" for him to ensure we got him in quickly. It's not however overpaying if (when) we stay up considering the position we were in when he came in.

Feels like the Almiron situation all over again. He's so desperate to score that he's overthinking it and perhaps doing alot more than he needs to do.

There were a few things which forced our hand - injury to Wilson, league position, upcoming 6 pointers, etc...

Unfortunately, he's just not that good, people say he occupies defenders, and yes he does, but we need more than that from a striker. Wouldn't surprise me if he was moved on in the summer, when we are confirmed as staying up, he's going to be 3rd choice at best surely behind Wilson and another signing, surely

He’s played 7 games, we’ve collected way more points than we could have expected. He’s playing his part and he’s not been missing chances (should have done better with a couple of headers).

I’d rather this than 3 or 4 consolation goals in games we’d already lost.

Time to worry is when we hit a rough patch and he’s still not scoring.

It was a necessary signing and has proven to be a good signing. He definitely helps the team as a focal point and we've moved up the pitch

It's a shame he missed that sitter against Everton but in general he isn't much of a goal threat.

Ideally we need someone that offers what he does but also is a goal threat as it would be a concern if he's our starting striker next season.

49 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

He's so desperate to score that he's overthinking it

He really isn't.

He's had about 2 chances. If he was missing chances, I'd be worried but he's not.

He's just not getting any because we're not creating chances for him. He needs crosses into the box that he can attack.