Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

On 03/05/2022 at 13:02, Dan Gleebals said:

He has played his part in our recent return of points, no doubt about it - so if he helps us stay up, it really was needs must.

However, that is about as far as it goes.  Nothing against him as a person, but he is not what we need moving forwards, or into next season even off the bench IMO.  Although I suspect as he has 2 years left on his contract, he might well end up being 3rd / 4th choice which we cannot really do anything about.  No one will pay close to half what we paid, so we would make a loss on him as a player but gain big by staying up.  Overall it might prove to have been a much needed signing...

I don't give a fuck what he cost, survival is priceless and we probably wouldn't have done so without him.

I don't dislike Wood and value his contribution this season but I do wonder how he was ever a 1 in 3 striker, and I do wonder what role he could possibly have on the pitch in future seasons, assuming we invest a lot in attacking areas. Had he just burned out by the start of this season, or something, or is it essential he plays with a target man in order to have any threat whatsoever?

Just now, Shearergol said:

No, single handedly keeping us up, without doing a single positive thing, is his strength. NO told us.

Literally no one has said he single handedly kept us up

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

Literally no one has said he single handedly kept us up

It’s claimed he’s played a huge part, yet nobody embellishes to say how, other than being a “focal point”. He can’t pass, tackle, cross, shoot, head… what can he do?

Just now, Shearergol said:

It’s claimed he’s played a huge part, yet nobody embellishes to say how, other than being a “focal point”. He can’t pass, tackle, cross, shoot, head… what can he do?

Ah so not single handedly kept us up

He reminds me more and more of George Reilly, but with a slightly better touch. Just a big bloke with no heading ability whatsoever. No clue how he's been a 1 in 3 striker previously. You could possibly say he's played a bit more than he would have due to Wilson being out for fucking ever but still. Needs someone else near him to do the dirty stuff probably but as much as i've tried to give him some benefit of the doubt, he's just a modern day Reilly. The forward line needs big time investment if we're going to push on next year.

Edited by LionOfGosforth

3 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Ah so no reply to my question?

Well it was just nonsense hyperbole where you said the forum collectively said he single handedly kept us up when no one has ever said that

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

Well it was just nonsense hyperbole where you said the forum collectively said he single handedly kept us up when no one has ever said that

Ok, let’s move the conversation on. how has he played a major part? 

2 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Scored a couple of important goals, tirelessly presses, drops in for ASM, gives us an option to be more direct.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:
6 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Scored a couple of important goals, tirelessly presses, drops in for ASM, gives us an option to be more direct

Meant we played with one striker as opposed to zero strikers.

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Scored a couple of important goals, tirelessly presses, drops in for ASM, gives us an option to be more direct.

The “option of more direct” means just kicking it to their defenders though?