Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

Just now, Shearergol said:

Crazy amount of support of him on here compared to other useless strikers we’ve had.

It’s because people are terrified of saying the owners or Howe have got one wrong.

It’s the same with every bad decision (like Dummett’s contract, not sacking Bruce earlier etc.)

If we signed Wood during Ashley’s reign, he’d have been lambasted as much as Rivière, who he’s been about as useful as.

2 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

It’s because people are terrified of saying the owners or Howe have got one wrong.

It’s the same with every bad decision (like Dummett’s contract, not sacking Bruce earlier etc.)

If we signed Wood during Ashley’s reign, he’d have been lambasted as much as Rivière, who he’s been about as useful as.

Riviere could run. 

He's been pretty poor in front of goal, but he's played a part in keeping us up.

That doesn't mean I think he's a good player, or that he should play a major part next season. 

Aa long as they graft, I'll support any of our players, no matter how limited. I find it more bizarre some posters are dying to get stuck into him every week. 

Aye this guy tries hard but has been a monumental disappointment. Been no better than Carroll or Gayle would've been if they'd played which says it all. What a waste of money. Not sure if its too early but I'd flog him in the summer for £10m if some newly promoted team fancies him. 

Edited by Pokerprince2004

3 minutes ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

Aye this guy tries hard but has been a monumental disappointment. Been no better than Carroll or Gayle would've been if they'd played which says it all. What a waste of money. Not sure if its too early but I'd flog him in the summer for £10m if some newly promoted team fancies him. 

If he plays any games beyond this season something has gone very wrong with the summer transfer window. 

We should probably go out in the summer and get a new starting striker and maybe get someone young to rotate with Wilson, then sell Wood. He's not good enough and even if he comes off the bench he'll probably offer little and not score. We took a punt on him because of Wilsons injury and he played a decent role and scored a couple of important goals but overall he's nowhere near good enough for where the club wants to be now. Thank him for the part he played and move him on imo.

34 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Crazy amount of support of him on here compared to other useless strikers we’ve had.

Hence the phrase football supporter.

People are just grateful we're nowhere near as fucked as we looked in the first week of January.

8 minutes ago, 80 said:

Hence the phrase football supporter.

People are just grateful we're nowhere near as fucked as we looked in the first week of January.

Not buying that. “Supporters” generally lambast shite players. Joselu got fair much more stick and was far better 

Big thanks for the err.. contributions

This lad's quality is average at best suited possibly for a relegation team (at this level) that might just work around him

That's not what anyone here aspires to be moving forwards. Please get rid. 

Edited by Amir_9

He attacked that header early doors with all the gumption and conviction of a small child. He's cack, hope a Championship team will pay £10-£15m for him and we can fuck him off.

37 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Not buying that. “Supporters” generally lambast shite players. Joselu got fair much more stick and was far better 

That's because they're often cunts, I'll go along with that. Plenty of shit supporters. Can't comment on Joselu.

Edit: the other thing is it goes back to 'not demanding a club that wins but a club that tries'. That's a big marker to me of whether someone's being a wanker having a go at a player.

Edited by 80

The reality is Wood seems to have been getting worse as a striker over time for us rather than better if anything. It's shit, I know. I also doubt we'll be off-loading him in the summer due to his contract. Therefore I hope he's 4th choice next season, hassling our defenders on the training pitch and giving our strikers a breather the next time we play Cambridge in the FA Cup etc.

The thing that bothers me is also people criticising the signing without coming up with alternatives that filled the criteria we had at the time. Available at short notice, consistent track record, owned by a club that couldn't or wouldn't mess us around, suitable character, willing to join the mother of all relegation battles, willing to immediately lose their spot in the team - or be kicked out to another club - within 6 months without causing problems etc. etc.

It was easier said than done, and some people go on like they've been personally offended by it all.

2 hours ago, 80 said:

The reality is Wood seems to have been getting worse as a striker over time for us rather than better if anything. It's shit, I know. I also doubt we'll be off-loading him in the summer due to his contract. Therefore I hope he's 4th choice next season, hassling our defenders on the training pitch and giving our strikers a breather the next time we play Cambridge in the FA Cup etc.

The thing that bothers me is also people criticising the signing without coming up with alternatives that filled the criteria we had at the time. Available at short notice, consistent track record, owned by a club that couldn't or wouldn't mess us around, suitable character, willing to join the mother of all relegation battles, willing to immediately lose their spot in the team - or be kicked out to another club - within 6 months without causing problems etc. etc.

It was easier said than done, and some people go on like they've been personally offended by it all.

You’ve fitted those criteria to justify the signing. 

I’m not convinced he really made that much difference to whether we stayed up or not TBH. 

I can can understand why we had to go for him but in the end it’s closer to a bad signing than a good one. 

Not sure if he’ll even be useful off the bench next season. Maybe to rest the main striker in games we’re already winning. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

4 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

You’ve fitted those criteria to justify the signing. 

So name your alternative signings and realistic criteria. The stage is yours. Maybe Ivan Toney for £60m or whatever it would have cost Brentford to accept guaranteed relegation?

4 minutes ago, BoSelecta said:

Which ones would you say didn’t apply at the time? 

How do you know which clubs would deal with us or which players would join?

how about scout a player on their ability rather than looking how they played 2 years ago and hope for the best?

i’m gayle’s biggest critic but I’m convinced he’s a better option than Wood. 

1 minute ago, 80 said:

So name your alternative signings and realistic criteria. The stage is yours. Maybe Ivan Toney for £60m or whatever it would have cost Brentford to accept guaranteed relegation?

TBF it’s not really the fans’ job to scout footballers. I agree with your main point and that’s why I fully accept the Wood signing. But it’s a shame he’s turned out to be so ineffective. 

Admittedly we also don’t cross the ball much or retain possession to allow people to get up with him. So it’s not all his fault. 

2 minutes ago, 80 said:

Dunno, am I a football scout? I hate that argument, for the record. It’s their job to identify a better option than Wood. They failed.

This stuff starts to sound like the fan equivalent of Steve Bruce. Howe just needed to "show something. That bit of quality that would've made the difference".