Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

I could forgive the miss, it was his all round play and seeming lack of effort that's unforgivable. I'm sure he's really trying, but it just doesn't look like it. The very least that can be expected of him is to physically impose himself on defenders and he's not even doing that.

The miss is one thing, but the worst thing about him is if it's not a physical battle in the air (which he isn't even good at) he wants no part of it. Gets rid of the ball like it's a hot grenade, doesn't seem bothered if it's to a teammate or opposition. 

Ball just bounces off him. Passes go to opposition, even ones that don't were really inaccurate. 

That finish was atrocious. Didn't even bobble so can't use that excuse either. 

This is his job. He gets paid fortunes to kick a football into the net. As others have said, surely we can pick up a better 3rd choice ST instead of him for cheap.

Just watched the chance again a few times, Jesus Christ it’s horrendous. 

watching it live I expected him to miss tbh but I thought it would be saved, how the hell has he managed to make that much of a mess of it?! 

hopefully now Isak is back we won’t see much of Wood. 

Was brought in (admittedly at a right premium) to do a job which was help keep us up. More than contributed to it and can be thanked for his efforts, but don't want or expect to see him starting many more games for us.

As others have alluded to above, when he played for Burnley and Leeds he seemed to be a decent finisher if nothing else, but appearances can be deceptive and in reality he's a bit of a donkey at this level.

6 minutes ago, Scoot said:

The longer he's here, the more you realise what a desperate buy he was. 

What exactly is he good at in terms of being a striker/forward?

:undecided:

Tbf he’s got no confidence. Those penalties aren’t helping. 

I think he’s got a bit of the Jacob Murphy ‘deer in the headlights’ about him.  Big fee. Biggest club he’s paid for.  I think he feels the pressure of the shirt. And he knows he’s been poor and that Howe only plays him because there’s no alternatives. He’s seen Howe try ASM up too before him on occasion too. He must know he’s not a Howe type player and we must not play to his strengths. 

He has 159 club goals.  

50 odd PL goals in 150 odd appearances prior to this at Burnley.  That’s properly decent.  

I don’t have any bad will towards him. I just pray the other 2 lads can stay fit so he doesn’t have to play. I also don’t want him to lose his reputation in the game. He’s one that might have some value in the summer. Even if it’s 3-5m it’s something. Every disasterclass is eeking that away. 

I just wish Joelinton had taken it on himself and not played Wood in.

I remember people cursing Maxi for not passing to him last season, but like we all know now, it was probably down to the fact he knew Wood was likely to cock it up, some players connect and know each other inside out, I think Wood just doesn't anticipate anything, he always decides it's a good idea to position himself between the two opposing defenders, why? If its front post he's at the back, if it's far post he's at the front, if it's a fist time shot he takes a touch, he never attacks any crosses, just a peculiar way to play as a striker or target man if you can even call him that.

Never been a fan, but I don't hate on him as a person, the sooner he's shipped out the better though.

57 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

I remember people cursing Maxi for not passing to him last season, but like we all know now, it was probably down to the fact he knew Wood was likely to cock it up

Then a game or two after Wilson was back, ASM smacks a ball past and between 4 Burnley defenders inside the box to find Wilson who slots it in the back of the net on the first touch.

Edited by Conjo

6 hours ago, Skeletor said:

Screenshot 2023-01-08 at 00.54.35.png

Reasonable chance he might have done exactly the same presented with an identical chance mind :lol: We're just not blessed with natural finishers at the minute

3 minutes ago, Displayname said:

Always liked him here and i think he played a decent part in keeping us up last year, but hes got enough chances here now. 

Think Burnley would take him back for free?

Man Utd should guarantee themselves top 4 by signing him and leaving Weghorst to us.

I can't watch that miss... Yes he's sh*t at what he does and we should have a better back up but the way his face falls is just a bit heart breaking!!!! You can tell he knows it means he's on his way out and the miss is gonna be talked about for ages. Plus Joelintons face!!! Can't take the pain!!! 

13 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Reasonable chance he might have done exactly the same presented with an identical chance mind :lol: We're just not blessed with natural finishers at the minute

I did think if any other player is going to sympathise with him after that, it'd be Big Jo :lol: