Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

10 minutes ago, 80 said:

This stuff starts to sound like the fan equivalent of Steve Bruce. Howe just needed to "show something. That bit of quality that would've made the difference".

???

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

17 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Dunno, am I a football scout? I hate that argument, for the record. It’s their job to identify a better option than Wood. They failed.

One they could sign that wasn't an insane amount of money. They over payed for Wood but he had a release clause and time was running out. For the record, I'm not privy to all the agents they talked to. My guess is that they had plenty of better options that failed for the obvious January reasons.

6 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

???

Declaring that you're (not you) not happy with something but not having any ability or interest to explain how or why that thing makes you unhappier than any other approach. But someone should've done something to make the thing go better.

The club should have signed a better forward. Not sure who, not sure what kind, not sure where, not sure how, not really sure when. But not signing him was a failure. Ok cool, interesting read.

Everyone is a football scout on some level if they like watching football and have some power of judgement.

49 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Dunno, am I a football scout? I hate that argument, for the record. It’s their job to identify a better option than Wood. They failed.

It’s the equivalent of “what other manager could we get?” to justify keeping a shite manager.

We literally pay people thousands of pounds to scout players. If they couldn’t come up with a better option than Wood for £25m, that’s worrying™ in itself.

1 minute ago, Fantail Breeze said:

It’s the equivalent of “what other manager could we get?” to justify keeping a shite manager.

We literally pay people thousands of pounds to scout players. If they couldn’t come up with a better option than Wood for £25m, that’s worrying™ in itself.

That's actually a great example. Loads of unpaid amateurs on here were able to give loads of options for replacing Steve Bruce. We didn't need to be Sporting Directors to throw a few ideas around, which showed how bad the club was at hiring managers.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

He's helped us stay in the league,  mission accomplished. He'll barely feature next season.

We defo need to buy another striker as we can't rely on Wilson's fitness.

We bought Wood because we desperately needed a body in for what was a crucial match against Watford on the 15th January, and could get a fit and ready body with a record of goalscoring in the PL. He was never going to be the long term answer that we would have up front. He's been very poor, probably past his mediocre best but has scored an equaliser in a game that we went on to win and a winner in a 1-0 win. 6 points that he's contributed to directly. Take 6 points off us and we're 3 from 18th. Worth it given the future. He'll hopefully barely feature next season, if he does then something will have gone catastrophically wrong in the summer.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

4 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

We bought Wood because we desperately needed a body in for what was a crucial match against Watford on the 15th January, and could get a fit and ready body with a record of goalscoring in the PL. He was never going to be the long term answer that we would have up front. He's been very poor, probably past his mediocre best but has scored an equaliser in a game that we went on to win and a winner in a 1-0 win. 6 points that he's contributed to directly. Take 6 points off us and we're 3 from 18th. Worth it given the future. He'll hopefully barely feature next season, if he does then something will have gone catastrophically wrong in the summer.

I would argue though that Gayle would have scored at least as many and not cost a penny. I'm certainly no fan of Gayle in any way either, I just think Wood is a total plank and said this before he even signed. I've not been proven wrong either.

I think Wood has served his purpose well enough - he added a bit of experience and strength up top.  He’s far from a great finisher, but I think he is a better CF than Gayle, and his contribution in keeping us up shouldn’t be over- nor underplayed.  £25m was a lot of money for him, but he’s helped keep us up.  If we can get close to half back in the summer then it was a decent deal for me. 

The key with Wood is we needed a striker in quickly at the time to provide the team with structure, Gayle wouldn’t have provided that like Wood has. He’s been poor in front of goal, the bloke looks like he hasn’t got a shred of confidence about him whenever the balls dropped to him and he’s had a chance.. there’s been a few headers that he should have 100% buried. Besides his lack of goals (and assists) the most important thing is he gave us that structure and presence we needed up top, at the very least hes been committed and worked hard from the front. I know it was £25m and yes we could have got a different player for the same outcome for half of that but at the time we had no idea he wouldn’t be scoring, he’d been poor for Burnley since the summer but his overall prem record is good.. tbh I don’t think he’s had great service or is even very suited to our side but he has blown the chances he has got. I guess what I’m saying is that he’s been very effective in his overall role but just hasn’t got the 4/5 goals you might have expected he would.. I’d keep him around as a 3rd choice for a season or 2 but nothing more.

Edited by Nine

He's looking increasingly like a write-off, not good enough to be kept even as third choice.

He was signed under extreme circumstances, so there is no need to lament it. Blame Ashley for us going into the season with Wilson (good but injury prone under Bruce), Joelinton (a non-prolific second striker who looked lost at CF), and Gayle (so out of favour he never played). That's why we needed to hit the panic button in January. 

3 hours ago, nufcjb said:

Heard from a friend that Sky showed a stat pre-match about Wood and he was 1st in the PL in three areas. What was that about? Didn't catch it.

Chances missed, heavy touches and number of times caught drifting offside like a Sunday morning player.

Edited by Pilko

6 hours ago, nufcjb said:

Heard from a friend that Sky showed a stat pre-match about Wood and he was 1st in the PL in three areas. What was that about? Didn't catch it.

Id put a fair amount of money on it being something like presses or some related metric. I’ve watched analysis vids that show he leads our press - effectively directing (defensively poor) attacking colleagues into cutting off passing lanes and so on.

And pressing effectively is what has changed our play more than any other metric (given Joelinton’s elevation to goathood cannot be measured). So while he is indeed a pretty fucking awful goal scorer these days, he is a big part of our upturn in results.