Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

It's not just his positioning (poor) and movement (glacial) which are the issue, but - Southampton aside - he seems to lack any confidence when presented with a headed chance. He has absolutely no conviction in his headers, which always seemed to be a strength in the past. He saps all momentum out of any cross and just floats the ball gently into the keeper's hands. Put your neck into it ffs.

9 hours ago, Fantail Breeze said:

If you played Gayle for 90 minutes for 16 consecutive games, he’d more than likely have achieved more than 1 goal and 0 assists like.

They’re both shite, but Wood is diabolical.

Going to say that Gayle might struggle with 90 mins for 16 consecutive games, given he's only managed around 30 mins in the PL all season

The service he gets is non existent. Nothing comes from the right flank and that only leaves Fraser on the left. He showed what he can do with that great ball from Shelvey but I don't recall him receiving any other crosses of that quality

While he hasn't had great service, he's definitely not a player who can make something out of a cross in the way Andy Carroll used to. If the ball in has to be as good as that Shelvey cross every time I'm not sure he can really be classed as a proper aerial threat tbh.

3 minutes ago, jackyboy said:

The service he gets is non existent. Nothing comes from the right flank and that only leaves Fraser on the left. He showed what he can do with that great ball from Shelvey but I don't recall him receiving any other crosses of that quality

This, but the lad looks so self conscious and bereft of confidence as well. I can't see any fight in his eyes, he just looks sad and unsure all the time.

1 hour ago, WillingtonMag said:

No we wouldn't have been better off just playing Gayle at all complete nonsense we wouldn't have got the wins we have with Gayle in there over Wood.

I disagree. I think Wood has contributed very little to our victories. They've more been down to the resergence of Shelvey, Willock and Joelinton in midfield, the 2 new full backs (until Trippier got injured) and the pairing of Burn and Schar at CB than anything Wood has done.

Annoyingly I was flicking through Instagram stories this morning and caught Wilson's brilliantly dispatched header against Everton last season. It summed up the differences between the two tbh. 

I haven't had strong opinions about Wood until last night. I think it's very daft saying we've been getting results in spite of him, and suggesting we'd have had the same results with Dwight Gayle in that position is particularly ott. Because for all Wood's ineffectiveness as a goalscoring entity, he's enabled us to get the ball into the opposition half a lot more than we would've done without a big CF to occupy defenders. 

But he's definitely a bit shit.

I just can’t get my head round how he’s as ineffective as he is. The one thing I was confident we’d get out of him would be quality in the air. Although he wins a lot of headers, he’s not anywhere near as good as he should be for his size. The amount of time he just cushions headers to the opposing keeper 

He has been a big part of our recent form because of his effort and presence but we are never going to climb up the league with him upfront, he isn't fast enough, not clinical enough and doesn't seem to ever be in the right place and the right time to create chance. I get he isn't getting that many opportunities to score but needs to create some himself by making better runs or placing himself better inside the box but just lacks that skill. 

11 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Come on. 

Aye, you're probably right.  Can't help thinking he would be getting more power on some of the headers Wood has fluffed but his energy levels pressing wouldn't be the same.

10 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I just can’t get my head round how he’s as ineffective as he is. The one thing I was confident we’d get out of him would be quality in the air. Although he wins a lot of headers, he’s not anywhere near as good as he should be for his size. The amount of time he just cushions headers to the opposing keeper 

The one thing I'll say in his defence is that he does win his fair share of headers and flick ons but because he's playing up front on his own he's not flicking it on to anyone.

He might be more effective as part of a front 2, maybe, dare I say it in a sort of Quinn/Phillips type partnership where is role is simply to win flick ons and knock it down to a more mobile and capable goalscorer.

1 minute ago, Wallsendmag said:

The one thing I'll say in his defence is that he does win his fair share of headers and flick ons but because he's playing up front on his own he's not flicking it on to anyone.

He might be more effective as part of a front 2, maybe, dare I say it in a sort of Quinn/Phillips type partnership where is role is simply to win flick ons and knock it down to a more mobile and capable goalscorer.

Aye, I always wanted an Emile Heskey to call our own 

2 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

I can't work out if it's being isolated or if he just doesn't actually think about where he's trying to flick the ball on to. I'm not the sort of person to watch matches back so I could be completely misremembering, but I feel like even when he's got team mates relatively near, he doesn't particularly aim to get the ball to him. I feel like he just thinks 'as long as I get something on it that's my bit done and someone else can worry about getting on the end of it'.

That being said, as I've said enough times now, it was still a worthwhile signing just for the extra body up front. I couldn't care less if we punted him for nothing in the summer as long as we're a Premier League side when we do so.

I can't reconcile the idea that we would've gotten this many points if we were relying on Dwight Gayle since the turn of the year. :lol:

10 minutes ago, wormy said:

I can't work out if it's being isolated or if he just doesn't actually think about where he's trying to flick the ball on to. I'm not the sort of person to watch matches back so I could be completely misremembering, but I feel like even when he's got team mates relatively near, he doesn't particularly aim to get the ball to him. I feel like he just thinks 'as long as I get something on it that's my bit done and someone else can worry about getting on the end of it'.

That being said, as I've said enough times now, it was still a worthwhile signing just for the extra body up front. I couldn't care less if we punted him for nothing in the summer as long as we're a Premier League side when we do so.

I can't reconcile the idea that we would've gotten this many points if we were relying on Dwight Gayle since the turn of the year. :lol:

Like I say I think our resurgence in form was down to Joelinton, Willock and Shelvey playing out of their skins. A solid CB pairing of Burn and Schar, Dubravkas improvement, and the 2 full backs (and of course Howe) more than anything Wood has added. It's not as if he's been playing really well but just not scoring.

If we can get £10m back for him in the summer I'd snap their hands off.

The most frustrating thing for me is not even his hold up play but his lack of conviction aerially. He's has loads of chances and half chances that he's either missed altogether, parried straight into the keepers arms or 50p-ed straight up in the air. The minimum I expected was that he'd be a rubbish footballer but give us something different in the air - especially the manner in which our set pieces have improved so much.

21 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

Like I say I think our resurgence in form was down to Joelinton, Willock and Shelvey playing out of their skins. A solid CB pairing of Burn and Schar, Dubravkas improvement, and the 2 full backs (and of course Howe) more than anything Wood has added. It's not as if he's been playing really well but just not scoring.

If we can get £10m back for him in the summer I'd snap their hands off.

Also seemed to do with Fraser, Maxi and Murphy being able to get more involved In the games somthing which Wood was a part of and Gayle wouldn't do. Think people are going too far all together here tbh he was bad last night and isn't good enough for us but talk of starting Gayle ahead of him or if Carrol would have done any worse is ridiculous.

15 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

Also seemed to do with Fraser, Maxi and Murphy being able to get more involved In the games somthing which Wood was a part of and Gayle wouldn't do. Think people are going too far all together here tbh he was bad last night and isn't good enough for us but talk of starting Gayle ahead of him or if Carrol would have done any worse is ridiculous.

I disagree but it's all about opinions I guess.